Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marx and Weber on Religion

Options
  • 09-01-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hope this is an ok place to post this :)
    I'm researching for a sociology essay on the theories of Marx and Weber on Religion. I'm taking a kind of "is religion created by reality, or is reality created by religion?" approach (or something to that effect). Can anyone recommend a good alternative take on the subject?

Any suggestions would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

themarcus wrote: »
    Hope this is an ok place to post this :)
    I'm researching for a sociology essay on the theories of Marx and Weber on Religion. I'm taking a kind of "is religion created by reality, or is reality created by religion?" approach (or something to that effect). Can anyone recommend a good alternative take on the subject?

Any suggestions would be great!
    I suggest that you're not really following the subject of the essay very closely.

According to Marx and weber, religion is purely a social construct and a mechanism for controlling the masses according to specific cultural goals or norms.

Its not really about 'reality' Its about control.

The protestant ethic has nothing to do with the existence or non existence of the christian god, it has everything to do with the social construct of the British work ethic through the medium of a Lutheran religious philosophy (self denial, sacrifice, hardship and obedience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You could argue that the protestant work ethic is a myth, and look at the development of Catholic Belgium as a capitalist nation. Apart from that I haven't a clue what you are trying to research or what question you are trying to answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

You could argue that the protestant work ethic is a myth, and look at the development of Catholic Belgium as a capitalist nation. Apart from that I haven't a clue what you are trying to research or what question you are trying to answer?
    Akrasia: I get what you're saying. But that's where the issue gets very confusing. Does the OP mean 'reality' in an eidetic or noumenal sense, or phenomenal sense, as in 'social reality'? As far as Weber and Marx would go, they'd absolutely be in the latter camp. And, if I'm correct, even Kant spoke of the inaccessability of the noumenal universe. But I don't think the OP has considered even that.

But surely the answer - within this frame of reference - is there is no answer. The answer is unknowable given the limitations of language.

Pierre Bordieu had an interesting take on all this, though. I really like (what I know of) his theory.

However, I'm perfectly happy to continue on this mortal coil assuming that it's all social reality of some kind, which leaves open the question either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

Hi guys thanks for the responses, I guess I should really clarify what I'm looking for:

Basically I have to resolve the contradiction between the 'protestant ethic'/spirit of capitalism' theory and Marx's 'opium of the people'/'false consciousness' idea - I realise that Marx didn't really give us all that much to work with when it came to religion, so I'm pretty much stuck with 'Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right' and 'On The Jewish Question' along with a few random bits and pieces...

Can anyone recommend a good third take on the interaction between religion and capitalism?

Brianthebard - thanks for the suggestion, I got some Schumpeter on that already so I'll be mentioning that too...

Take a look at Feuerbach for Marx material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

You could go at the essay as Marx thought this but this is what science now says causes religion
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/magazine/04evolution.t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

cavedave wrote: »
    You could go at the essay as Marx thought this but this is what science now says causes religion
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/magazine/04evolution.t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Thanks, that actually looks like it could be fairly useful! The idea of comparing Marx with Weber and then introducing the present day atheist views could be very interesting, our prof loves it when we relate classic material to the present day.

I'll take a look at Feuerbach too, might fill in a few gaps Marx left.

Thanks guys :)

Marx was influenced by Feuerbach. I think his paper 'Theses on Feuerbach' or something is the one to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The idea of comparing Marx with Weber and then introducing the present day atheist views could be very interesting,

It could the article is about the neuro science view of belief rather then being about the atheist view. Religious scientists are included.

It is not another article on how we should not believe in god because there is no evidence but is about what is it in our brains that makes us believe in god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 The Geraldine

In Webers essay about The Protestant Ethic & Capitalism he didn't argue that protestantism caused capitalism. As capitalism can be traced back to mercantilism and usery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement