Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven fried pork chops..need some help.

• 09-01-2008 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi There, tried to make oven-fried pork chops last night and followed the following recepie, but the pork was really tough and the bread crumb covering was soggy. Any tips?

INGREDIENTS

* 4 pork chops, trimmed
    * 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    * 1 egg, beaten
    * 2 tablespoons milk
    * 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1 cup herb-seasoned dry bread stuffing mix

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Pour butter into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
    2. Stir together egg, milk and pepper. Dip pork chops in egg mixture, coat with stuffing mix and place in pan.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Turn chops and bake for another 10 minutes, or until no pink remains in the meat and juices run clear.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it might have been the butter that made the coating soggy - I'd have rubbed the tray with a drop of sunflower oil instead.
    The thing about pork chops is that you never know when you buy them whether they're going to be tender or not - especially those loin chops prepacked in supermarkets. The bigger chops with the bone in them are way better if you can get them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, I really try to avoid the pork chops ,apart from being really fatty they just are really hard to cook into something really nice.
    Its so much easier with beef or chicken, that said i think its comparatively strong flavour means it can be very nice or very awful, depends on the cook and the recipe.
    Its hard to make it very nice though - I dont cook pork often as a result!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Here's what I do:

Dip chop into (in turn) flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs (seasoned).
    Fry for a minute or so on each side, then onto the oven tray and into the oven. I don't put any oil or butter in the oven tray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

You can always tenderise it first and flatten the meat a little. You won't care what it looks like when covered in bread crumbs. It also shortens the cooking time, 2-3 mins each side in a frying pan should do.

I also always use flour and so does most recipes when covering meat in breadcrumbs. Maybe that helps with sealing in the juices so it doesn't dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Thanks, will try with just the flour and egg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dublinlawyer

do what youdo but fry in the pan for 3 minutes each side before you put into the oven to finish off for say 20 minutes on a medium heat covered with tinfoil. At the time the chops go into the oven the coating is already crisp.

Advertisement