Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any adivce on studying Physics?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Im finding it particularly difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

This thread is a little general. Do you have a particular problem with a certain section or are you mostly lost right through?
    Try www.thephysicsteacher.ie for notes and experiment videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Definitions can be worth 12 - 15%, experiments can be worth another 12 - 15%.

So makesure you learn those well, and you're more or less guaranteed a pass with a few formulae learnt with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't seem to find it on google:mad: Any chance of a PM with them or an e-mail?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Ask your teacher to go through marking schemes with you after doind exam papers.You'd be surprised at how little detail is needed to get full marks.Its often only one or two words needed for each mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Da Bomber

Do all the past papers and be very familiar with them the questions repeat themselves alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I give grinds for LC and 1st Year college students in Physics.

The 'easiest' way to learn Physics is to understand it. But this is not very easy at all. You will only understand as you go along, if your teacher is good and you pay attention. Unfortunately I find a lot of teachers are poor at teaching Physics and facilities are poor in schools (eg. experiments should be done in class in conjunction with the theory of the experiment/topic - not in one day or just on paper - they should be done by students).

If you have done this over the last year and a half / 2 years it will come together as you study it and get closer to the exam.

If you feel you can't understand it or that a lot of the concept or beyond you or that you're playing catch up then there are some tricks to help you. Mainly as mentioned before
    1) Know past exam papers inside out - look for patterns, common topics (usually the same areas come up in the same questions but not the exact questions). So if you feel you are good at Mechanics put poor with light concentrate on getting good marks in the Mechanics q. You only have to answer 4 long qs (I think) from 10 qs. Have 6 qs in your mind to do and ignore your 4 weakest areas.
    2) Know experiments well. They have by definition very little variation. You can probably leave out 2 experiments and know the others back to front. Write them out and learn them of.
    3) Write out a list of definitions you use in answer the exam paper questions you do. Every time you come across one write it down in a different pad. After you've done 30 or 40 exam qs you will find you have a pretty comprehensive list of definitions and you have an idea where to use them.
    4) Don't be afraid of not knowing stuff first time around. Use your book and lab copy to help you answer a q you don't know. It's better to find the right answer than guess the wrong one. Second and third time around answering exam qs. don't use the book. Correct them with your answers from first time around.

Xhristy wrote: »

They aren't all the definitions though are they?

Printed them off anyway.

kevmy wrote: »
    I give grinds for LC and 1st Year college students in Physics.

The 'easiest' way to learn Physics is to understand it. But this is not very easy at all. You will only understand as you go along, if your teacher is good and you pay attention. Unfortunately I find a lot of teachers are poor at teaching Physics and facilities are poor in schools (eg. experiments should be done in class in conjunction with the theory of the experiment/topic - not in one day or just on paper - they should be done by students).

Oh how terrible my teacher is. I (well my parents) have spent quite a bit on physics grinds for me. Not because I'm stupid or not putting in work, but just because the teacher makes us more confused about physics every class.
    I went to the institute for a physics revision course over Christmas. I know a lot of people say it's a rip-off and a waste of time etc, but if anyone is in a similar position to me.....it's definately worth it. The guy Pat Doyle is actually so good at explaining things that he makes it look simple.
    They do an Easter revision course too if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

Thanks for the links guys.

I need help specifically with Heat as when I switched to Physics in October the class had already done that topic. I have no idea how to do any heat questions.

Im in 5th year BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

ok , i picked physics because it is interesting as hell when understood, but my god when it isnt its absolute hell.
    Whoever said it up there about the easiest way to study it is to understand it,that is too true!
    In 5th year i had this "read-from-the-book" teacher who rarely touched on experiments.
    Now , we have a new school and a new physics teacher at that, and im in 6th year. we have all of this crazy equipment and a teacher who does all experiments , including ones he has made himself .
    Last week we started on Magnetic fields and currents bla bla and instead if just reading the book, we built a DC motor using two magnets . We wired it ourselves and all.. Seriously though, magnets --> :D
    basically , if you do the experiments you will understand it.
    Physics is actually awesome, it is one of few subjects that make full sense.
    but having said that , my results fluctuate from 90% - 44%..wonder what the hell i will get in my leaving. hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Well almost all the definitions in physics are based around formulae so if you practise questions on exam papers etc enough, it's easy enough without having to learn anything "off by heart"

carlowboy wrote: »
    Well almost all the definitions in physics are based around formulae so if you practise questions on exam papers etc enough, it's easy enough without having to learn anything "off by heart"

Yeah, and the ones that do have forumulae.....if you just state the formula, and then explain what each symbol is, then that will do as a definition

For example:
    Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation:

F = (G)(M1M2) / D<squared>

F = Force of attraction between two bodies

G = Universal gravitation

M1 = First body

M2 = Second body

D = Distance between the two bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Big thing about studying: You are going to do better on Exam Day if you actually understand the logic behind things like the Universal Law of Gravitation. Its one thing to spout off gibberish. For example.

What is the formula for belhelehfibnkn?

Answer you droned into you: "(F)x(t)(g)jkhvj ^ 2-989 2@"

Actual question on test: How might you modify this formula to hkjdsbgkjkfaskjb??

......... F***.

Look its early days yet. If you dont understand something figure it out: dont settle for knowing off gibberish. If thats the way you're conducting your study then failure awaits.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

I did honours Physics for the LC but didn't do very well. Got a D1 in fact. It was the hardest exam I ever did, especially since i had to do it all as gaeilge. Never again. Sorry for the negative tone...

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Xhristy wrote: »

Wow, hold on there, you do need that detail otherwise it would be pointless, remember kids, physics doesn't allow for waffle!

skoool.ie would be another good place for definitions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

especially since i had to do it all as gaeilge.

:eek: and other people on here think they have it bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3 helllllo

Just out of interest, what other subjects are you studying? How are you finding them?

Would grinds be an option for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

bit late for grinds, Doubt you would really need them.

it would be a good idea to learn by chapter.

-read a chapter you don't know too well or think you need to work on, understand it! and learn the definations on it.
    Then open your papers and try a few questions on it.

as for experiments I would learn them by topic too, make sure you understand the topic first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

nobody should need grinds...
    i would advise to learn the mechanics section fairly well as it is actually pretty easy(alot of it is pretty closely linked to newtons 2nd law, F(net)=ma.)

do the particle physics section if your doing hons.( its the easiest section in the book by far, the math is so simple... much moreso than applied electricity)

do lots of exam papers, and then do em again, and again!!!!

alot of the definations can be spelt out from a formula, if they can be given as a foumula give it as a formula...

think logically about things. if you dont understand something try spending a few mins think about what you are being asked/told and it should come to you(physics is all about thinking logically!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

Xhristy, I love you. Thank you so much for those definitions, I've been trying to write them all down for months, and I still don't think I have a definitive list.

What's particle Physics like, people, please? We're very far behind, I don't know if we're even going to finish the course at this rate. We still have Circular Motion, Hooke's Law, Vectors, Particle Physics and some electronics stuff left. Anything I should be watching out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

particle Physiscs is easy enough, no experiments to learn just all theory

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

particle Physiscs is easy enough, no experiments to learn just all theory

very very true...
    make sure you do circular motion an vectors... if needs be jus try get your teacher to stop wat they're doin an cover them...
    i hated circular motion for LC but its so easy because you should already know most of the formulae.. alot of them are jus variations on equ's you've already covered..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

Try answer on modern physics! its just a bit of memorising and the problems are simple. :-)

Advertisement