Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Review - Il Baccaro, Temple Bar.

• 09-01-2008 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I made a reservation for Il Baccaro in Temple Bar. I'd heard good things about the place.

We arrived on time only to discover they didn't know anything about our reservation and they couldn't speak English. That's OK. They still brought us to a table.

The restaurant is quite cosy and the atmosphere was relaxed.

The waitress took our order and only got one thing wrong (brought half a bottle of wine instead of a full bottle.) We were aware she couldn't speak English, so we didn't want to pick her up on this.

The food was LOVELY. I had the aired beef for starters followed by the chicken and mushrooms. She had the mushrooms for starters followed by the pork.

We didn't stay for desert, and we were happy with the bill.

An hour or so later... my stomach is upset. My GF also isn't feeling the best.

She ends up spending the night getting sick and having diarrhoea. I only felt a bit queasy, but I suspect this is because I only ate a little bit of her food.

Definite food poisoning. Pretty disgraceful really.

Won't be going back.

0/10

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Food poisoning generally has an incubation period of 24-72 hours. It's highly unlikely that you got sick from the food you ate at the restaurant. It's much more probable that it was from something you ate the day or two before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The only food we shared was in that restaurant. I ate a small bit of hers. It would be odd if by concidence I just happened to feel unwell the same time as she got very ill.

Both myself and the GF are certain it was from there. I am sure food poisoning doesn't always take such a long time to take hold.

EDIT: Just spoke to her and she actually started getting sick the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

You should report this incident to the HSE immediately.

Food poisoning can be very serious but is something that's easily avoided by a competent restaurant.

It's unlikely any action will be taken by your report on it's own, however if there's more than one such report then the Health Inspectors will be sent in to investigate, and take appropriate action.

As a customer you are entering a contract with the restaurant. You are spending good money and expect to receive good food in return. Any level of sickness is unacceptable.

If it turns out that the restaurant is investigated and they're found to be compliant, then maybe it wasn't them, and so be it.

I got food poisoning in Salamanky a few years ago and I still regret not reporting it. Especially when I hear others describe how poor they've found it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Maybe you just had sympathy nausea?

I'm not doubting you, but it's fairly serious to accuse a restaurant of giving you food poisoning. Nevertheless, if you're convinced it was down to the food from there, you need to ring the manager and make them aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Definitely a very serious accusation. Most forms of food poisoning have a gestation period of over 24 hours so it's unlikely that it was that restaurant. You say you were queasy after eating a morsel of your wife's dinner, right? Well how did she feel after eating it all? Is she still sick? Or were you both better the next day? Did your doctor diagnose you with ecoli, campylobacter or did you even see a doctor? Did you report it your poisoning? A bit more information needed before I write off Il Baccaro I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

She was sick for a few days. Had problems keeping food down or digesting it properly. My stomach was upset for a day or two but then back to normal.

I know you are all saying "how do you know it was Il Baccaro" but sometimes your body just knows when something is wrong. Both myself and the GF both instinctively knew it was Il Baccaro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

If I was the restaurant owner I'd take a very, very dim view of that accusation unless it was backed up by a doctor's diagnosis of 'food poisoning'. It may be the case that the food just 'didn't agree' with you or your girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you believe that you were indeed subjected to food poisoning then you should contact the Environmental Officer of your local Health Board. They will act as an investigating agent for the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

There's a lot of bugs going around, unless you were diagnosed with some form of food poisoning by a doctor I'd be a bit sceptical.
    dublindude wrote: »
    I know you are all saying "how do you know it was Il Baccaro" but sometimes your body just knows when something is wrong. Both myself and the GF both instinctively knew it was Il Baccaro.

Without actually being diagnosed with food poisoning I don't think you can 'know' Il Baccaro is to blame, however strong your instincts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

dublindude, it's very unfortunate that yourself and the GF were unwell. Unfortunatley you cannot lay the blame blankly at the door of the restaurant as you don't know for sure they were to fault. You'll generally start to feel the symptoms of food poisioning 6hrs after consuming the infected food. Even though you 'only ate a bit of the food' you would generally feel the exact same symptoms as your GF, you don't get 'a bit of food poisioning'.

You should go ahead and contact the restaurant and the FSAI as advised. I've edited your thread title and am now locking this thread, if you wish to discuss this further feel free to PM me. Hope you both feel better soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement