Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the year - halfway point

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Fabregas from what I've seen on the televison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

DSB wrote: »
    I actually find Alan to be 1 of the less biased Liverpool fans. Except as regards Rafa hahaha.

LOL for real??? come on you can have intelligent debate with him but he is extremely biased!!!! as am i!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

my nominations would be as follows,

ronaldo
    fabregas
    dunne
    torres
    ferdinand
    evra

and some honourable mentions for

richards
    anderson
    flamini
    elano
    vidic
    arteta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dunne won't get a look in, not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

How are people nominating Essien? Great player and all, but he's been pretty poor since Mourinho left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

how are people nominating fabregas?i think he is a brilliant player and will in my eyes be one of the best midfielders in the world(he prob already is) but gerrard has had a mediocre season for him and has scored more goals.fabregas for his age and where he was at last year is playing unbelievable but he isnt the best midfielder halfway through this year,thats gerrard.

ronaldo is playing unbelievable and he is currently the best winger in the premiership he should be number 1,fabregas hasnt been the best midfielder in the premierhsip so i dont understand people putting him number 1.i would have gerrard ahead of him and both torres and ronaldo ahead of gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dc69 wrote: »
    but gerrard has had a mediocre season for him and has scored more goals.
    There we are so. Gerrard has clearly been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

how are people nominating fabregas?i think he is a brilliant player and will in my eyes be one of the best midfielders in the world(he prob already is) but gerrard has had a mediocre season for him and has scored more goals.fabregas for his age and where he was at last year is playing unbelievable but he isnt the best midfielder halfway through this year,thats gerrard.

ronaldo is playing unbelievable and he is currently the best winger in the premiership he should be number 1,fabregas hasnt been the best midfielder in the premierhsip so i dont understand people putting him number 1.i would have gerrard ahead of him and both torres and ronaldo ahead of gerrard

Fabregas has alot more than Gerrard IMO. he has so much more to his game. Gerrard exemplifies the overhyped nature of English players. Don't get me wrong, he's a quality player, but players like Fabregas remind me of why I love watching football. He just has that touch of class. Give me Fabregas before Gerrard any day!

JimiTime wrote: »
    Fabregas has alot more than Gerrard IMO. he has so much more to his game. Gerrard exemplifies the overhyped nature of English players. Don't get me wrong, he's a quality player, but players like Fabregas remind me of why I love watching football. He just has that touch of class. Give me Fabregas before Gerrard any day!

everyone to their opinion but I think 99% of people would have gerrard over fabregas anyday,fabregas doesnt single handely win games for arsenal every couple of weeks and just isnt in the same league,although i would say he will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Completely different type of midfielders and both fantastic players

I'd go for Fabregas though as I think he is less dependant on other players to maximise his playing ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

everyone to their opinion but I think 99% of people would have gerrard over fabregas anyday

Eh no I really don't think 99% or anything close to that of people would have Gerrard over Fabregas. I wouldn't anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think 99% of people would have gerrard over fabregas anyday

Fabregas please!!!

We have a good few of that 1% on Boards.ie ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

jasonorr wrote: »
    Fabregas please!!!

+1

Has added the goal of gerrards game, but is far more intelligent on the ball and, imo, is a far better passer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

everyone to their opinion but I think 99% of people would have gerrard over fabregas anyday,fabregas doesnt single handely win games for arsenal every couple of weeks and just isnt in the same league,although i would say he will be

Fabregas for me easily. He rarely, if ever, goes missing during games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd agree with Dunne and Gallas being the best centre backs so far.

Laursen has been excellent too.

What are Gareth Barry's Goal/Assist stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

JimiTime wrote: »
    He just has that touch of class. Give me Fabregas before Gerrard any day!
    Add me to that 1% so.

I think that poster meant that 99% of Liverpoool fans would have Gerrard ahead of Cesc.

Cesc is a beautiful, sublimely skillful player. Gerrard is a powerhouse runner who can crack a shot off from thirty yards, and pass the ball diagonally seventy yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fabregas again :) Cesc makes the team play well. Gerrard wins games on his own. I would always prefer the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Fabregas is more of a proper midfielder, he dictates play.
    Gerrard is like Lampard, doesn't control the game well but is there in the right place to get that assist or goal. Thats his game and he does a great job with it, but I'd prefer Fabregas in my team any day of the week.

What's all this "single handed" talk? Fabregas is the most influential player in the team top of the league. Fabregas is overall, already, a much more intelligent player than Gerrard with a lot more tactical nous, imo. Intelligence is a lot more important than anything else in player, as much as it's ignored by many fans.

Put it this way, do you need fabulous technique to play the best, quickest, one touch football in the world? Of course you don't. You don't need to be especially talented to pass the ball 5 or 10 yards. It's stuff like movement, positional sense, decision making and vision in players that make the difference. Obviously having excellent technical ability will be a huge benefit in terms of the type of pass you can play. But Gattuso claims to have square feet and he has no problem playing an excellent passing game. Gattuso isn't a great example though because his movement isn't anything like Fabregas'.

Anyway, Gerrard is a typical British style midfielder that has spent so much time in the 100 mile an hour hustle and bustle of the premiership that he has never really spent much time sitting back and thinking. Fabregas is a genius. One of the most natural footballers ever to play the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure Liverpool fans get frustrated with some of Gerrard's decisions from time to time. I don't think the same can be said with Fabregas. If he makes a mistake it's usually in trying to do the right thing.

Put Fabregas and Gerrard in the same team and I know who'd be controlling it. Put Pirlo, Fabregas and Gerrard in the same team and Pirlo would be controlling it imo. I still think Pirlo is the best midfielder out there. Fabregas a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think I'd take fabregas as well to be honest. Gerrard does go and win games on his own alright, but Fabregas makes the whole team play better so you don't need a one man show too often. Of course i'd be pretty happy with both in the same team!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Put Pirlo, Fabregas and Gerrard in the same team
    *homer drool*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ronaldo's goals have him in top spot , and rightly so
    However for me Evra has being utd most consistent player Evra has being fanastic this season.Yes Ronaldo for all his goals and match winning performances has still has gone missing in a few games this year.

Also think like alot of posters Dunne has being unbelievable this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I think even the majority of Liverpool fans would take Fabregas over Gerrard. I am one, I would, and the vast majority of Liverpool fans I've talked to about it (a fair few) would take Fabregas over Gerrard any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Intelligence is a lot more important than anything else in player, as much as it's ignored by many fans.

Ah, come on now, if intelligence is coming into it, then Gerrard is below the corner flag, or goal post (though possibly above newcastle fans).

I'm sure Liverpool fans get frustrated with some of Gerrard's decisions from time to time. I don't think the same can be said with Fabregas. If he makes a mistake it's usually in trying to do the right thing.

Put Fabregas and Gerrard in the same team and I know who'd be controlling it. Put Pirlo, Fabregas and Gerrard in the same team and Pirlo would be controlling it imo. I still think Pirlo is the best midfielder out there. Fabregas a close second.

Xavi would destroy the three of them ;)

At least we get to see Xavi and Fabregas in the same team. Fck that. I'm backing Spain for the Euros. :D

At least we get to see Xavi and Fabregas in the same team. Fck that. I'm backing Spain for the Euros. :D

I do that for ever tournament and am disappointed each time.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Funny because it's true.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    I think even the majority of Liverpool fans would take Fabregas over Gerrard. I am one, I would, and the vast majority of Liverpool fans I've talked to about it (a fair few) would take Fabregas over Gerrard any day.

i dont agree at all,no liverpool fans i know would even contemplate selling gerrard,even my utd friends who dispise liverpool claim they would love him at utd and some even go as far as saying he is the best cm in the world,so its not a one sided liverpool view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

i dont agree at all,no liverpool fans i know would even contemplate selling gerrard,even my utd friends who dispise liverpool claim they would love him at utd and some even go as far as saying he is the best cm in the world,so its not a one sided liverpool view.

But he's clearly not! I'm not knocking him however, he's a great player but I'd prefer Fabregas to Gerrard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

fabregas ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Torres has adapted brilliantally, but the only thing is when its not going his way he struggles, hence city game.
    Ronaldo is sublime
    Alex and Carvahllo has been a revelation, if Mikel could curb that stupid challenges, he'll be a great player, he is only only 20.

Disagree about someone picking Essien, even as a fan, good player that he is, hasn't hit the height of the last season, but slowly improving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I dont think Torres struggles if its not going his way.....see Newcastle away this year for reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

richard dunne has been unbeliveable aswell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Ronaldo must be in pole position again. 20 goals in his last 19 games, in all competitions. That's phenomenal for a guy who isn't even a striker.

can one of the mods please add a pole, as im not sure how to . . . with the options being

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregasc
    Fernando Torres
    Richard Dunne
    Nemandja vidic
    William Gallas
    Michael Arteta
    Steven Gerrard
    Robin Van Persie
    Didier Drogba

(and any other deemed neccessary - i think you need an admin mod to add any more than 10, but feel free for this purpose, would be worth it! ty!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think, at the moment, Ronaldo is on course for another clean sweep at the PFA's.

agreed, but still is very interesting . . . if arsenal were to win it, cesc could take the crown

semibluff wrote: »
    can one of the mods please add a pole,

Fabianski and Kuszczak are the only ones in the Premiership I can think of but they haven't played enough to deserve a mention :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Fabianski and Kuszczak are the only ones in the Premiership I can think of but they haven't played enough to deserve a mention :p

Please leave the room and dont come back until you're told :p

lol, very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

semibluff wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregasc
    Fernando Torres
    Richard Dunne
    Nemandja vidic
    William Gallas
    Michael Arteta
    Steven Gerrard
    Robin Van Persie
    Didier Drogba

I'd add Ferdinand and Laursen into the list ahead of Dunne and Vidic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Dont forget that Iniesta is rightfully keeping Fabregas out of the starting 11. That boy doesnt get the recognition he deserves. Xavi's been disappointing this seaon tbh.

I hate to say it, but in the PL, Ronaldo has been the best player this season. With Fabregas in a close enough 2nd.

matrim wrote: »
    I'd add Ferdinand and Laursen into the list ahead of Dunne and Vidic

Ah here. Based on what? Goals scored?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah here. Based on what? Goals scored?

No because Rio Ferdinand is a better player than any of those defenders and certaintly in better form over the season. Just because he doesn't do the last ditch tackle(since he usually deals with it before it gets to there) which are easier to spot, he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ronaldo - end of.

Mods please close thread ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

How the hell could anyone nominate Van Persie?

I think Semibluff thinks we're talking about last season.

• Advertisement
Advertisement