Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player of the year - halfway point

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eZe^ wrote: »
    Dont forget that Iniesta is rightfully keeping Fabregas out of the starting 11.
    They both started the last 3 games. Iniesta's a fantastic player but not as good, dominant or influential as Fabregas imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Unearthly wrote: »
    No because Rio Ferdinand is a better player than any of those defenders and certaintly in better form over the season. Just because he doesn't do the last ditch tackle(since he usually deals with it before it gets to there) which are easier to spot, he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

That's it, plus for Villa Laursen has been a rock all season, and for a player that was out injured for the last 3 years that is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Laursen is definitely better than Dunne yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

semibluff wrote: »
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregasc
    Fernando Torres
    Richard Dunne
    Nemandja vidic
    William Gallas
    Michael Arteta
    Steven Gerrard
    Robin Van Persie
    Didier Drogba
    !)

its a 2 horse race, ronaldo or fabregas, anybody that thinks otherwise, is kidding themselves. simple as. so if there was to be a poll, it should be just them IMHO. Polls on this site however are misleading and very rarely give the correct answer cos when it involves united or liverpool, people will never vote correctly.

as re the above players, drogba and van persie? WTF?!!!!!and if torres is in there, then so should tevez. i would have hleb in for arteta but then again, pointless, cos as i said, its ronaldo or fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Torres has to be commended for saving Liverpool's arse time and time again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I think Iniesta is better than Fabregas, but surely this won't mean anything for the european cup. I expect it to be Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc with two wingers and one up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and if torres is in there, then so should tevez.

Bull****, this is Tevezs second year in England and Torres is STILL doing better than him playing in a struggling liverpool side as opposed to Tevez playing in a high flying Utd side.

Torres is in a different league to Tevez as players i'm afraid

I completely disagree with that comment Alan. Tevez is a great player, in the same league as Torres. In fact, I think as players they are very similar, although Tevez is probably more creative as he was an attacking midfielder,

they're quite different though in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I completely disagree with that comment Alan. Tevez is a great player, in the same league as Torres. In fact, I think as players they are very similar, although Tevez is probably more creative as he was an attacking midfielder,

Agreed.

• Advertisement

Do you think Herbieflowers? Well either Tevez is the player who actually wants the ball to feet and create goals and Torres is just a goal poacher, who relies on service to him(which he does not).

Yeah I know what you mean, but Tevez is less of an out-and-out than Torres is (tgranted Torres does drop deep and runs at defences)...yeah, see I'd never view Tevez as a striker per se, more a second striker...tohugh Torres does like to run and has scored a few individual goals this season

Yeah I think your right, like if you monitor their games very closely, they obviously are different, but they're not conventional strikers like Michael Owen, Santa Cruz, Benjani, Yakubu etc.

No not at all, imo Torres is the most complete striker I've seen in a long time, he brings other players into the game, but I feel Tevez' game is based more on the creative side of things though he can score too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its Ronaldo or Fabregas.

Or if you want me to narrow it down more, its Ronaldo. I know it looks biased with under every post i make but it would be damn hard to argue with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Bull****, this is Tevezs second year in England and Torres is STILL doing better than him playing in a struggling liverpool side as opposed to Tevez playing in a high flying Utd side.

Torres is in a different league to Tevez as players i'm afraid

no this is bull****, tevez has one premier league goal less then torres, so how exactly is he this far behind?? i would also argue that tevez does more for the team in workrate then torres also, torres is an out and out striker, tevez is not...... dont confuse that....

if you give me the choice of tevez and torres i take tevez, same as if you give me the choice between van nistlerooy and tevez i take tevez, ruud and torres will be more clinical in front of goal but they wont do as much for the team

i dont think they are a good comparison regardless, comparing kuyt with tevez would be a fairer one and i think its agreed that tevez is obviously better then kuyt, torres is however better then saha if you would like to make comparisons on out and out strikers at the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I think Iniesta is better than Fabregas, but surely this won't mean anything for the european cup. I expect it to be Xavi, Iniesta and Cesc with two wingers and one up front.

Agreed, lets just admire that amount of creativity in midfield. :D

But...but they need someone to 'rough things up' LOL.

Seriously how do Spain produce such a great midfield. People talk about England, but Spain is on an other level. Alonso, Raul Garcia, Baraja, Albelda(he is only 30) Iniesta, Cesc, Xavi, Senna and probably much more that I can't even think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

And most of them are playmakers. England have Scholes and Carrick.

• Advertisement

Also a good point there, England cries about lack of technique but Spain don't produce the typical box to box player, only Garcia of great talent would be of that ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just as a side note, I think Senna is Brazilian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    i would also argue that tevez does more for the team in workrate then torres also, torres is an out and out striker, tevez is not...... dont confuse that....

if you give me the choice of tevez and torres i take tevez, same as if you give me the choice between van nistlerooy and tevez i take tevez, ruud and torres will be more clinical in front of goal but they wont do as much for the team

From the above i would deduce you haven't watched much of Torres this season? To say he is an out and out striker is WAY off the mark, the guy works tirelessly for the team in the same vein as Kuyt and Tevez. Almost anyone who has watched him, regardless of the team they support, cant help but notice the immense work he does tracking back and hasseling and parrying players for the ball, defending from the front if you will.

Torres is everything Tevez is and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I don't see how people can view Tevez as a better player than Torres tbh. If I'm ever in the mood to put down Liverpool, I might say that Tevez is almost as good as Torres, but that's as far as I'd go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote: »
    From the above i would deduce you haven't watched much of Torres this season? To say he is an out and out striker is WAY off the mark, the guy works tirelessly for the team in the same vein as Kuyt and Tevez. Almost anyone who has watched him, regardless of the team they support, cant help but notice the immense work he does tracking back and hasseling and parrying players for the ball, defending from the front if you will.

Torres is everything Tevez is and more.

Had to laugh at this - youve come out with some crackers in your time. You say they both work equally hard to win the ball and his immense work tracking back. Ive seen manys the Liverpool game this season and he does nowhere near as much tracking back or hassling as Tevez. Also, Tevez has been directly involved in 16 United goals in the league (10 goals, 6 assists) compared to Torres' 13 (11 goals, 2 assists) for Liverpool. I think the only thing Torres' has above Tevez is more composure - not enough to say he is 'everything and more'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't agree with that at all Archimedes.

Torres is a better finisher I'd say, but not massively. I don't think eithers finishing is top class.
    Torres has much much more pass, and undoubtably has a much better ability to beat a man. While Torres is a forward, he is not an out and out forward like say Owen, he does drop deep.
    Tevez on the other hand has much better link up play, and imo understands the game a little bit better. Tevez is more of an attacking midfielder in comparision to Torres who is more of a forward who does drop deep. Tevez is a better passer, and I think that's evidenced by his assist tally in comparison to Torres.

At the same time, Tevez is certainly in a better team that Torres, so it's not hugely fair to compare goal scoring records.

Who's better? Not sure. If you gave me the choice of Torres or Tevez for United, i'd probably pick Torres, but thats because we have Rooney already who can do what Tevez does. Also I would say, that while Torres has been in top form this year, I'm not sure you could say Tevez is at the levels he was at towards the end of last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ronaldo - end of.

Mods please close thread ;)

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Pato . . . without a doubt . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

As regards the poll choices i gave, i went closely with the betfair odds for this award, in decending order

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregas
    Fernando Torres
    Wayne Rooney
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Didier Drogba
    Micah Richards
    Mikel Arteta
    David Bentley
    Nicolas Anelka
    Robin Van Persie
    Carlos Tevez
    Tim Cahill

PHB wrote: »
    Just as a side note, I think Senna is Brazilian.

Correct, but he opted to play for Spain. Not sure if he has been in the squad lately though. He played against Ukraine in 2006 world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As regards the poll choices i gave, i went closely with the betfair odds for this award, in decending order

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregas
    Fernando Torres
    Wayne Rooney
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Didier Drogba
    Micah Richards
    Mikel Arteta
    David Bentley
    Nicolas Anelka
    Robin Van Persie
    Carlos Tevez
    Tim Cahill

Richards out, Dunne in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bacary Sagna has been immense. He's pretty much slotted seamlessly into right back and bombs forward a lot, he gives us a lot of options on the right. I know that theres a lot of ****e said about buying players in Janurary to have them settled for next season but Sagnas been an Arsenal player for <6 months and you'd think he's been there for 4 or 5 years.

That said, defenders don't win these types of awards. Especially right backs. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'd have Clichy in there too. He's been immense thise year. Ashley who?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ronaldo for the top award.
    Cesc for the junior award.

However if Cesc starts scroing goals again then he may get the senior award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Cesc Fabregas
    Fernando Torres
    Wayne Rooney
    Frank Lampard
    Steven Gerrard
    Didier Drogba
    Micah Richards
    Mikel Arteta
    David Bentley
    Nicolas Anelka
    Robin Van Persie
    Carlos Tevez
    Tim Cahill

SORRY but Lampard and Van Persie have not done enough this season (i know both where/are injured ) to be included in poll IMO Dunne ,Laursen, Evra and Gallas would/should have to figure in any list/poll. again IMO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why is everyone picking Fabregas but totally ignoring Gerrard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    SORRY but Lampard and Van Persie have not done enough this season (i know both where/are injured ) to be included in poll IMO Dunne ,Laursen, Evra and Gallas would/should have to figure in any list/poll. again IMO

please read the post prop

i merely copy and pasted this - i think you should take your annoyance up with the idots at betfair who offer the odds on these things . . . FWIW i agree with your choices

Advertisement