Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone using those white modem things from 3, O2, Vodafone for Xbox Live?

• 09-01-2008 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Anyone using those white mobile broadband modem things from 3, O2, Vodafone for Xbox Live - are they suitable for this? Was on to 3 and they don't seem to have a clue about it...

i.e.

this here

http://www.three.ie/broadband/datamodem.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

My mate had the same issue with 3 yesterday, ,they fobbed him off. He got it workign himself last night. dont take no for an answer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I don't think you'd a very steady connection from one of those. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

im sure they could be stable enough but the pings would be awful. When you try to open a webpage it can take an age to get a reply.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I was in 3 about 2 months ago and they said it wasn't suitable for gaming...having said that, they guy didn't look 100%. They all havbe money back guarantees nowadays so you could always try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

My mate got one from somewhere and they gave him a 14 day trial , he didnt think much of it but he was in the backend of nowhere and they work of the mobile coverage in an area. Could be worth the 14 day trial. Doubth it would do the job tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

14 Day trial?

More like 14 day Irish Law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

All these modems are notoriously bad..little better than dialup unless you're living in Dublin or Galway..especially 3G who are way oversubscribed.
    You can definitely forget about playing games on live with this. The ping would be well over 300ms and that's bad.
    The only thing it would be good for it downloading console updates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Depends on the time of day, location..... sometimes its fine, but sometimes it's not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

What about the Vodafone or 02 3G datacard a lot of my mates are using them for work and asking if its now worth getting a 360 for online gaming. Can anyone say they are using this setup ?

PS they are all getting 2.5 - 3MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

All these modems are notoriously bad..little better than dialup unless you're living in Dublin or Galway..especially 3G who are way oversubscribed.
    You can definitely forget about playing games on live with this. The ping would be well over 300ms and that's bad.
    The only thing it would be good for it downloading console updates etc.
    Kristok wrote: »
    im sure they could be stable enough but the pings would be awful. When you try to open a webpage it can take an age to get a reply.

:rolleyes:

uncle of mine has mobile O2 broadband. he gets download speeds of 2.8Mb and ping times of under 80ms

A mate of mine has digiwebs mobile broadband, he gets ping times of under 50 ms

OP: get it and see, you can test it for two weeks and send it back if not happy

everyone else, Do you know for a fact that pings would be high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

btw lads, kinda off topic, but what servers are best to ping for testing your latency to the xbox live servers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Could someone tell me how to set this up to work with Live please?

I tried it last year but nothing happened when i plugged it into the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

definetely works with xbox played cod4 pes2008 and pgr without any lag in hsdpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Melion wrote: »
    Could someone tell me how to set this up to work with Live please

I tried it last year but nothing happened when i plugged it into the xbox.

As there all plug and play with the drivers etc for a windows environment your xbox won't recognise them when you plug them in.

You'll have to install them on your pc as a modem and and share the connection via ethernet with the xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    definetely works with xbox played cod4 pes2008 and pgr without any lag in hsdpa

stop lying :mad:

yeah
    lets all believe someone who

1)joined today and only has one post on boards,
    2)when i checked his profile is currently looking at 23:52
    Getting rock solid 160KB/sec on Vodafone HSDPA today

3)was just reading a vodafone HSDPA coverage thread before that

4)now is searching forums at 23:56

5) what do you know 23:57 is reading
    Life after 3 USB nightmare thanks to o2

don't normally stalk but i never trust a nubie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

internet stalking is baaaaaad mukki :)

4,000th post WHHOOOOOOT :D

actually mukki im not lying was on vodafone 3g great for gaming on hsdpa but sht when droped to 3g 3 bars in call of duty with hsdpa and 2 in pes vodafone got cancelled because unpaid bill(on dial-up now) so looking whether to go to 3 or o2 probably o2 because 3s well u know and i always check board.ie ive just never feeled the need to post before now test if u can get hsdpa with o2 or vodafone maybe even 3 u should be able to play most games online with minimal lag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    actually mukki im not lying was on vodafone 3g great for gaming on hsdpa but sht when droped to 3g 3 bars in call of duty with hsdpa and 2 in pes vodafone got cancelled because unpaid bill(on dial-up now) so looking whether to go to 3 or o2 probably o2 because 3s well u know and i always check board.ie ive just never feeled the need to post before now test if u can get hsdpa with o2 or vodafone maybe even 3 u should be able to play most games online with minimal lag

sorry mate

welcome to boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

For those saying mobile broadband wont work on live listen it is flawless on hsdpa halo cod 4 all play grand but if you are in normal 3g its ****e

mukki wrote: »
    sorry mate

welcome to boards
    lol:D it did look a bit suspicous by the way i was only gettin 1meg download(actually never got up to 1meg always at around 998kb/s lol )and upload around 350kb/s weirdly towards the last few weeks my download went down to around 350kb/s but my upload stayed the same obviously more users but dont know why my upload didnt change mukki i think maybe u should become a detective but a pretty crap one at that lol:D
    tell ye what 02 islike for xbox hopefully 2morro
    ba bye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

event wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

uncle of mine has mobile O2 broadband. he gets download speeds of 2.8Mb and ping times of under 80ms

A mate of mine has digiwebs mobile broadband, he gets ping times of under 50 ms

OP: get it and see, you can test it for two weeks and send it back if not happy

everyone else, Do you know for a fact that pings would be high?

Yes the pings will be bad Fact.

I doubt your uncle got those speeds. The fastest ping I've seen on HSDPA speed tests is 140ms or there abouts. Could have been a faulty/bad speed test or something odd like that.

Three are the worst provider of the 3 and should be avoided like the plague (see the sticky in the broadband forums with over 3,500 posts about their terrible service).

High ping times are a known issue of HSDPA technology. Treat any other post as highly suspicious IMO as these providers have people on boards.ie (not imply this user is, I just don't know). HSUPA is an attempt to fix the problem (not available yet AFAIK).

Not to mention upload speeds are very slow on HSDPA broadband as there is very little bandwidth for uploads and it is shared among the users in the area so usually very poor and might not be fast enough for live.

Digiweb use a different technology which actually might be suitable for gaming if you could get it. Digiwebs mobile BB also has much better upload speeds and more steady connection speeds which could make it suitable for gaming. Worth trying before the others since the ISP also has a good reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

i have hard of people getting 70 ms ping time constant on o2 but you can have pings of over 100 ms on live and have a fairly enjoyable gaming experience i am saying this because some people do not have access to broadband and this could give them a chance to play on live it works for me anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

i think people should really open up tbh

people said that you couldnt download anything fast on eircoms 2mb line nevermind running wireless

i have that package and run an xbox, 3 computers, xbox and 2 laptops.

all being used as of now

and im downloading at 799k/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The reason you might different reports on matters with eircom is the line quality could be bad for someone reporting it bad.

Phone lines are suitable for gaming. The gaming itself doesn't require massive speeds especially if you don't host games but it requires low ping times.

You won't find ping times mentioned in anything from the ISP's, you have to ask people that have experiences with the technology.

I use fixed wireless 2Mbps up/down and have no trouble gaming on it. pings are usually well under 100ms.

However mobile broadband using HSDPA technology as it is with O2, 3 and Vodafone is not really suitable for BB and most people should not expect ping times under 150 ms (my parents have 3's one and usually get 200ms+ pings). Pings over 150ms won't really be great for Live. If you don't get kicked from games, expect to die a lot without knowing why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

its a technology for the mobile business man

in time im sure we will see steady mobile wireless for gaming

but in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 davemul

Hey,
    now stalking aside, I am not new but dont post alot of messages!

I use the vodafone 3g through my laptop and 99% of the time its perfect for playing COD4 live.

I did have a little bit of difficulty setting it up as my xbox would fail on the IP Address but I got that sorted through connection wizard.

You just have to make sure that Internet connection sharing is switched on.

Also, be care you done exceed your download limit. Mine is 5gb and can pretty much play to my hearts content but for lower limits, be careful and remember to have fun!!!
    Dave:)

Advertisement