Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting

Options
  • 09-01-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Since the thread has been locked before I had a chance to reply myself this is my answer. I am neither a tree hugger nor am I anti hunting IF it is done properly. On numerous occasions did I come across dead deer who died a slow death judging by the churned up grounds around them. They had been wounded and no follow up search was done, ie the animals were left to die a slow and painful death. I also (on two occasions) evicted hunters from my land who had neither the permission to hunt there nor did they have their dogs under control. Not to mention that I keep horses and donkeys on that land and several goats. So yes, forgive me if my opinion of the (local) hunters is somewhat negative! The last ones I kicked off my land came here at night - lamping. Not to mention the hunting dogs which are tied to my gate in appalling states once the hunting season is over.

And yes, they DID come after me and parked their jeep next to my car, seeing that it was a deserted area with NO houses around for miles one must assume that they knew someone was in that particular area and still they went in. AFTER me.

I had a 3 year old child with me who was running ahead of me! As a mother I may be also forgiven that I am taking this VERY serious!

It is now in the hands of the Gardai and other bodies to establish their liability. The next place to park a car is MILES away from there and I doubt highly that TWO hunting parties were in the same area.

In regards of feral goats being untameable, sorry but from my own experince I know that not to be the case. I have four former *feral* goats here - it took me max. 2 weeks.

A lady in Clare runs a goats sanctuary and she also takes in feral goats and has had no problems with them: http://www.armargos.com/

This can be locked, please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I don't blame you for being angry, feel sorry the poor deers that are left wounded :( it's not *so* bad if they are killed straight away, at least they don't suffer. I don't like hunting anyway, especially if it's just for sport. Not so bad if it's for food but there's not really much need to kill wild animals when there's already so many farm animals killed for food O.o I know of a animal sanctuary in England where one of her horses got a heart attack and died in the field after being so stressed by a hunt passing through the field. a fox hunt, not shooting, but still, a pack of dog's must be terrifying to a prey animal and I imagine shots and dog's in the middle of night mustn't have been very nice for your animals either. I must admit when I was younger I screeched at a local farmer shooting pheasants we used to feed in the back field and called him a murdering b* thankfully I'm a bit more diplomatic nowadays lol. Good for you for reporting them to the guards anyway, hopefully they'll do something about it before anyone/their dogs gets killed. Could anyone try and catch the goats to prevent them being shot? They are well able to catch wild goats for Puck Fair so it could be even easier to capture a goat that used to be domesticated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Egar i agree with you feral goats can be tamed i have had a few in the past for rehoming that have tamed down well .Its amazing what a bit of lamb crunch can do.here we had a stag living here,he was in fields with our horses for a while then he moved in with a neighbours cattle .He ate with the cattle and would come to you for crunch he had escaped we assume from a deer farm.Our neighbour was happy with the stag with the cattle he lived between the cattle fields and the horse fields .He lived there for two years he was coming up three years of age when three men arrived one night with dogs lamps and guns tresspassing on private land they hunted him across the horse fields ran my horses into wire then shot him after a few hours in the field with the cattle .the horses cattle where totally upset i cant imagine what the poor stag went through .Theyn ran him for hours the sad part was they knew he would come for a bag of meal.so they didnt have to put him through being chased and totally frantic.Plus they had no right to trespass on private land.The stag brought a lot of pleasure to both old and young and the hunters robbed people of this and a noble animal of his life .

God, that's such a sad story, the poor boy. You'd think a animal living on private land would be safe from those scum. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Morganna wrote: »
    Egar i agree with you feral goats can be tamed i have had a few in the past for rehoming that have tamed down well .Its amazing what a bit of lamb crunch can do.here we had a stag living here,he was in fields with our horses for a while then he moved in with a neighbours cattle .He ate with the cattle and would come to you for crunch he had escaped we assume from a deer farm.Our neighbour was happy with the stag with the cattle he lived between the cattle fields and the horse fields .He lived there for two years he was coming up three years of age when three men arrived one night with dogs lamps and guns tresspassing on private land they hunted him across the horse fields ran my horses into wire then shot him after a few hours in the field with the cattle .the horses cattle where totally upset i cant imagine what the poor stag went through .Theyn ran him for hours the sad part was they knew he would come for a bag of meal.so they didnt have to put him through being chased and totally frantic.Plus they had no right to trespass on private land.The stag brought a lot of pleasure to both old and young and the hunters robbed people of this and a noble animal of his life .

Lets just set the record straight here, to refer to those assholes that killed that deer as Hunters is an insult to all Hunters. Hunters refer to these scum as poachers, they have no respect for Law, man nor beast. Please don't associate Hunters with poachers, don't tar them all with the same brush it upsets Hunters to be seen in this light, it is unfair no matter how you feel about hunting.

I have a question, how do you know how long they were chasing the deer and have so much knowledge of what actually went on, obviuosly somebody must have been observing to get this much detail, If they were chasing and torturing this beast for hours how come the Gardai or you local Wildlife Ranger wasn't contacted.
    As for Feral Goats, of course they can be tamed, they make nice pets, try finding prople to adopt them, you will very quickly run out of homes for them. I know cos thats what i've been doing with orphaned kids for many years. I get more calls from people asking me to take them back when they mature and start to trash the garden and stink. You'll save some for sure, but it's a hell of an effort and does not address the problem of too many feral goats in the wild. I know of one male kid that was hand reared and then set free again in a national park by the owner, it ended up injurying several people and badly hurt a 4 year old girl, the goat had to be shot in the end.
    As for the comment about there being enough farmed meat to eat so why kill wild animals. The more farmed meat that is eaten the less wildlife that will remain in the wild, farming is wastful and destroys our natural habitats. Look what it is doing to the Rainforests along the amazon, look what intensive farming has done to our corncrake, corn bunting, grey partridge (the hunters are paying to stop the grey partridge from going extinct in ireland, not the farmers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Lets just set the record straight here, to refer to those assholes that killed that deer as Hunters is an insult to all Hunters. Hunters refer to these scum as poachers, they have no respect for Law, man nor beast. Please don't associate Hunters with poachers, don't tar them all with the same brush it upsets Hunters to be seen in this light, it is unfair no matter how you feel about hunting.

+1

• Advertisement

I have a question, how do you know how long they were chasing the deer and have so much knowledge of what actually went on, obviuosly somebody must have been observing to get this much detail, If they were chasing and torturing this beast for hours how come the Gardai or you local Wildlife Ranger wasn't contacted.
    As for Feral Goats, of course they can be tamed, they make nice pets, try finding prople to adopt them, you will very quickly run out of homes for them. I know cos thats what i've been doing with orphaned kids for many years. I get more calls from people asking me to take them back when they mature and start to trash the garden and stink. You'll save some for sure, but it's a hell of an effort and does not address the problem of too many feral goats in the wild. I know of one male kid that was hand reared and then set free again in a national park by the owner, it ended up injurying several people and badly hurt a 4 year old girl, the goat had to be shot in the end.
    As for the comment about there being enough farmed meat to eat so why kill wild animals. The more farmed meat that is eaten the less wildlife that will remain in the wild, farming is wastful and destroys our natural habitats. Look what it is doing to the Rainforests along the amazon, look what intensive farming has done to our corncrake, corn bunting, grey partridge (the hunters are paying to stop the grey partridge from going extinct in ireland, not the farmers).
    a young couple who live near by and an old man witnessed it the guards didnt come out till the next day .also the people who killed the stag shoot anything that moves pheasants hares rabbits peoples pets !and nothing gets done

Morganna wrote: »
    a young couple who live near by and an old man witnessed it the guards didnt come out till the next day .also the people who killed the stag shoot anything that moves pheasants hares rabbits peoples pets !and nothing gets done

I enforce the wildlife act. I get people saying these things to me all the time. If you or friends have information that all this is happening and these guys are doing what you say and ye have witnessed it. All you have to do is make a statement to a Garda or a Ranger and tell them will be the witness and you are willing to go to court and tell the judge what you saw and be cross-examined. It actually works. Its hard to expect Gardai to be everywhere, for godsake they hardly have cars. As for Rangers there's only about 70 in the whole country but they are generally more willing to run at a moments notice and they all have a vehicle each.

Biggest problem i find is that people are unwilling to go to court and say what they saw. By the way if you ever intend to approach these people do so with a smile, get the information you need and don't show any emotion.

I hope that these poachers don't taint your views of genuine Hunters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

As I said in my OP, I have no problem with hunting if it is done properly and the hunted animals do not suffer unnecessary. I do not eat meat but that doesn't mean I know nothing about wildlife management and the necessity of it.

I do however have a problem with blood sports such as foxhunting (horse and hounds), carted stag hunting etc. But that is is different kettle of fish and probably needs its own thread.

Egar, i respect what you do and your love of animals, i have looked at your website. It seems to me you have answered the call of the domestic animal. I am a dog person myself. I hate to see animals suffer too. Here's what confuses me.
    Dogs are bred for many purposes and certain traits have been encouraged through generations of breeding. The Pug was bred as a lap-dog, in my opinion its an awful thing to do, to breed a dog that is basically handicapped from birth intentionally and which cannot survive or breed without vetrinary intervention. How far removed is that from our natural wild dogs?
    We have bred many different breeds of dogs over the centuaries for any number of reasons. Hunting, pointing , retrieving, flushing, fighting, lapdogs, pulling loads, guard dogs, showing, et,etc. Having looked at your wesite most of your dogs seem to be bulldogs, Pits and staffs and you seem to champion their cause. Personally i believe these dogs should not be bred anymore, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should destroy or put down all existing animals! They were originally bred for bull baiting then bear baiting and now dog fighting. These are now illegal activities, so i believe the breed should be discontinued. They were never bred to be family pets, which is what people are using them for now! If they are to be kept as pets they need the most experienced handlers and unfortunatly that doesn't always happen, they are killing machines as they prove time and time again, not their fault though, thats what they've been bred to do, humans created them that way.
    They are no longer useful as a breed and therefore i believe we should discontinue their line. Given the choice between having a Pug and the noble Pit Bull as a pet to play with my childeren, i'm afraid i would have to pick the messed up Pug.
    Am i wrong for believing this?

Well, staffies may have been used for gruesome blood sports a hundred years or so, but now they make brilliant pets when they have a good home, just because of a few scumbags who like to make their dog vicious, why should they have to die out when there are plenty of people who provide good homes for them? It's the scumbags that cause trouble for people AND dogs and society in general that should be bred out (preferably euthanized :p) not the dogs IMO :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Many breeds have outlived the purpose they were bred for. Dalmations were bred to accompany horse drawn carriages, Doberman to accompany tax collectors and so on. Yes, Pit Bulls were bred for fighting once upon a time but human aggression has been bred out of them so the dogmen could safely handle them in the midst of a dogfight. I would rather separate two fighting pits than two fighting pugs :D. Pit Bulls have now many different tasks, many work as PAT dogs or in Search and Rescue, the US police employs them as sniffer dogs and the most highly decorated obedience dog in the world is a Pit Bull bitch.

I have had APBT and other Bull Breeds for over 20 years and find them as safe as other pet dogs/breeds. APBT may not be very good with other dogs but they love their humans, which is sometimes their downfall.

I enforce the wildlife act. I get people saying these things to me all the time. If you or friends have information that all this is happening and these guys are doing what you say and ye have witnessed it. All you have to do is make a statement to a Garda or a Ranger and tell them will be the witness and you are willing to go to court and tell the judge what you saw and be cross-examined. It actually works. Its hard to expect Gardai to be everywhere, for godsake they hardly have cars. As for Rangers there's only about 70 in the whole country but they are generally more willing to run at a moments notice and they all have a vehicle each.

Biggest problem i find is that people are unwilling to go to court and say what they saw. By the way if you ever intend to approach these people do so with a smile, get the information you need and don't show any emotion.

I hope that these poachers don't taint your views of genuine Hunters.
    my neighbours are taking this matter to court as the guards came out the next day .

Advertisement