Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Sam Sacked?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

On sky sports news now.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He did a terrible job to be fair. But then again Newcastle have been a shambles of a club for a good few years now. Wonder who they'll go after now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ahaha!

It couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

The Newcastle circus rolls on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

sky sports are confirming he;s gone........the usual mutual consent type of thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Shearer next?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

shearer

Shearer would probably take Newcastle to the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What pepe said, how people even considered him for the england job i'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

What pepe said, how people even considered him for the england job i'll never know.

I can't wait to watch his downfall. It's going to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

* holds arm in the air and runs around the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

For the love of God. Will they ever learn? I know he's done badly, but christ he's only been there a few months!

Why are the Geordies so convinced Shearer will be a success? He has zero experience..

Nuts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I didn't want Big Sam but i certainly don't want Shearer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mid table squad, mid table at the moment. Few of his performances were absymal, but I reckon he would of turned it around. Let them go hire Shearer as it sure will be entertaining from a neutral point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Baffled at this :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Keegan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Mistake from Mike Ashley imo. Who out there is a genuine and realistic candidate better than Allardyce with similar Premiership experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus christ, Newcastle have to be the worst run club in the country. Clubs will be falling over themselves to take big Sam on, but I don't think he's gona get another shot at a 'big' club, i.e. one with a large stadium.

Please god hire Shearer, it'll be hilarious :)

PHB wrote: »
    Jesus christ, Newcastle have to be the worst run club in the country. Clubs will be falling over themselves to take big Sam on, but I don't think he's gona get another shot at a 'big' club, i.e. one with a large stadium.

I bet Al-Fayed is slightly sickened he didn't wait another few weeks to sack Sanchez and get in Allardyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

PHB wrote: »

I think Luton hold that honour ;).

Its a farce if Shearer becomes manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The Ireland job is still up for grabs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

FFS. Absolute farce of a club. Allardyce will not have trouble finding work, everyone in the footballing world knows how impossible that Newcastle job is, I dunno what they expect in his first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I can't believe this, although if you know newcastle you'll know that once the board give you their full support you're done for.
    Maybe it would just be better to appoint Shearer, let him fail horribly, and get on with it.

I'm a little gutted, we're idiots, and I don't even have Freddy Shepard to blame anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Shearer = the Staunton of Ireland

What are they thinking. No one in their right mind is gonna take the Newcastle job. How can they only give him half a season? I know they're not playing great but they're within striking distance of the top half. If he'd been allowed buy a few players in the window they could have pushed on. Look at the quality of players he managed to entice to Bolton.

The Ireland job is still up for grabs...

+1

Bad timing for Sam, cant see any more prem jobs coming up for a while with the amount that have already let people go. Best he can prob hope for is Boro to sack Gareth. And before anyone mentions Liverpool, No. Just..No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Joey Barton for the Newcastle job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What are they thinking. No one in their right mind is gonna take the Newcastle job. How can they only give him half a season? I know they're not playing great but they're within striking distance of the top half. If he'd been allowed buy a few players in the window they could have pushed on. Look at the quality of players he managed to entice to Bolton.

Lots will 3 or 4 year contract who needs job safety when 4 years wages for only 6 months work is on offer.

Big Sam paid a lot of money for those big names at bolton no transfer but large signing on fees and big weekly wages, Campo went up in money from Real to Bolton :eek:

I also hope shearer gets it, sunderland derby in the championship would be class :D

kdjac

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    +1

Bad timing for Sam, cant see any more prem jobs coming up for a while with the amount that have already let people go. Best he can prob hope for is Boro to sack Gareth. And before anyone mentions Liverpool, No. Just..No.

Its ok your getting the genius that is Klinsmann.

Willstev wrote: »
    Its ok your getting the genius that is Klinsmann.

Boourns.

If Shearer is the Staunton of Ireland, what is Staunton? The Staunton of Mexico?

More importantly, who is the Staunton of Newcastle?

• Advertisement

Bring back Keegan, lets be fair he is the only one to do a good job there.

Oh and he is out of work.

Robson did a good job at Newcastle, and they fired him.

Ya the fire the man and look who they bring in , Souness.

Keegan resigns and they bring in Gullit, its a catalogue of disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I got a good cv, turned down trials at hearts when in my teens, played with cork city youths and under astute guidance of dave barry.
    i also did alot of travel and well versed on world players

ummm, I'd take it.... 200k a year.:)

Terry McDermott will most likely be in place for the weekend against us I'd imagine.

It's ridiculous the managers they've had though. Roeder? Gullit? Souness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

If Shearer is the Staunton of Ireland, what is Staunton? The Staunton of Mexico?

More importantly, who is the Staunton of Newcastle?

Doh! My bad!!

Dundalk maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Holy sh*t!

I never believed they'd actually get rid of him at this stage. Bloody idiots.

How I will laugh if they get Shearer and their precious messiah fails miserably. Those fans are impossible.

They're like England fans x 10. Absolutely impossible to please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

what a joke of a club.
    from everybodies second favourite team to premier league laughing stock.

g'wan alan, your in the spotlight now and i expect a krusty the clown esque performance, no less

Holy sh*t!

How I will laugh if they get Shearer and their precious messiah fails miserably. Those fans are impossible.

You don't mean the greatest fans in the world..surely not! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

hilarious, absolutely hilarious. this actually made my day getting home and finding this out.

first off, the Newcastle fans are to blame for this. no doubt. the majority of their match going fans seem to be absolutely deluded and clueless. any manager needs time. something they seem so so so unwilling to give. this owner needs to realise, he may have the belly and jersey but that does not make him "one of the geordie gang". get into your suit, get into the boardroom and do wats right for the club, not wat a bunch of clueless fans are demanding. thats the only way newcastle have any kind of chance of getting any kind of success at any point in the near future.

to add to the daftness of the whole situation, they are demanding Shearer get the job?! the guy was an amazing player, but has zero managerial experience!? seriously, Des has more going for him than Shearer (well, almost)

As for Sam himself, delighted he got sacked, cannot stand the man since the stuff he said about Rafa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

so glad he got saked,rafa will be having a chuckle,big sam for ireland manager?stranger things have happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Ashley you fat f*ckcin idiot. Congratulations, you've managed to make Freddy Shepard look competent.

I'm absolutely gutted. Not only because the best manager we can ever hope to attract has been sacked, but also because it shows how those fickle boo boys, who think Shearer will be the saviour, have won. HOW CAN A CLUB BE RUN ON THIS BASIS?!?:mad:

I really felt that if Allardyce had have been given this season, regardless of results (as long as we weren't bottom 3), he would have turned things around. He has proven at Bolton that he is capable of great things. We really needed a stabilising tenure, cheers Mike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Holy sh*t!

I doubt he'd take the job. He's not stupid enough to think he can be succsessfull. He'd know he'd be on to a loser from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Has Shearer got a UEFA Pro License? As far as I know he isn't qualified and I'd be disappointed if the league bent the rules for him. Southgate was one thing but at least he a reasonable excuse for not having time to get it - Shearer on the other hand has been boring the pants off the BBC audience part time.

I reckon he'd be too smart to take it with this little management experience. The only thing in favour of him taking it is the six month period he'd have to settle in while Big Sam took the blame.

Southgate had no excuse for it. He exploited the "Roeder" situation at the time, I've wanted him sacked since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

LOL Newcastle fans will have to lower their expectations a hell of a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Has Shearer got a UEFA Pro License? As far as I know he isn't qualified and I'd be disappointed if the league bent the rules for him. Southgate was one thing but at least he a reasonable excuse for not having time to get it - Shearer on the other hand has been boring the pants off the BBC audience part time.

Nope, he doesn't have the appropriate licence and I doubt the FA will make an exception. But they will cave when the Newcastle fans start complaining and moaning!
    He has had plenty of time to do the courses but has been concentrating on media work instead

Gutted Big Sam is gone.
    Only positive is we might get Martin Jol, he's just as good imo

i thought Shearer had done his qualifications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Martin Jol would be ideal to please the majority of the idiots who just want attacking football.

Probably still have the shocking defending to but that's what Newcastle is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

As a Newcastle FAN, i am disappointed in this. This was sacking by MEDIA not the fans!
    Fans were unhappy with his style etc but no fan wants their manager gone MID SEASON. have the club learn't nothing ? So much for some needed transfers in defense etc

Worst about this is the crap about him been safe etc. Like anyone is going to have any faith in the owner/chairmans word now, ffs so pissed off about this particularly the timing, they better have a good plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i thought Shearer had done his qualifications?

Not yet
    Shearer, who is believed to have coveted the England head coach's job after Steve McClaren was sacked, has been collecting his coaching badges.

Although he is still several months away from completing the UEFA Pro Licence that is supposedly a prerequisite for top-flight managers, precedents suggest that would not be an insurmountable hurdle.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/shearer-to-answer-sos-1254513.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement