Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Sam Sacked?!?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

alright - cheers.

i'd imagine the FA would allow him do it, long as he had them completed by the end of the summer.

he is an ex-england captain after all, he can do watever he wants :)

smog wrote: »
    As a Newcastle FAN, i am disappointed in this. This was sacking by MEDIA not the fans!
    Fans were unhappy with his style etc but no fan wants their manager gone MID SEASON.

wat was the chanting of "you dont know wat your doing" during the Liverpool game about then?

you dont do that to a manager you want to keep his job. its not something said in jest. in front of Ashley, that marked big sams card i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Southgate had no excuse for it. He exploited the "Roeder" situation at the time
    I agree. I thought it was a farce too. I picked the wrong phrase in 'reasonable excuse'. I should have said that he had enough of an excuse to allow Steve Gibson to fight his corner. I've never seen a Premiership manager look so far out of his depth as he did in his first few months in charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What are Newcastles odds to be relegated?

I agree. I thought it was a farce too. I picked the wrong phrase in 'reasonable excuse'. I should have said that he had enough of an excuse to allow Steve Gibson to fight his corner. I've never seen a Premiership manager look so far out of his depth as he did in his first few months in charge.

wait till ya see Shearer! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Melion wrote: »

Not even appointing Steve Staunton at this stage could get them relegated tbf

Interesting. Current rules allow an unqualified caretaker manager to manage a Premiership club for 12 weeks. If Shearer is described as being 'several months' away from completion perhaps it'll be a small enough difference that the Premier league clubs would allow it.

Melion wrote: »

too many good players, although, i'd imagine a few might wanna leave now.

Actually just looked on paddypower.ie

They are 16/1 to be relegated, not a bad bet i think.

But the thing that could prevent it, wasnt Houllier very very heavily linked with the job before Allardyce got it. He's 8's at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

wat was the chanting of "you dont know wat your doing" during the Liverpool game about then?

you dont do that to a manager you want to keep his job. its not something said in jest. in front of Ashley, that marked big sams card i'm afraid.

They dont like his style fair enough, but no fan could want their manager fired in the middle of the season and esp during the transfer window.

Fans will always be fickle but 11th is actually better then expected for a manager there mere months, damn fools!

I have said on teh Newcastle thread before regarding Ashley sitting with the fans is a dangerous thing and almost expected this. I like his attitude but not the way to run the club with knee jerk reactions like a pissed up fan on match day

too many good players, although, i'd imagine a few might wanna leave now.

Not one of them is performing though. Unless Owen comes back with a bang i think they could be in serious trouble.

They are only 9 points above the relegation places. If Sunderland could put any kind of run together they'd push them.

It could be a rugby score at Old Trafford this weekend

I think the main reason that Big Sam was sacked is that based on most reports I had heard he had fallen out with a decent proportion of the squad. Coming out and blaming the players the way he did wouldn't have helped much.

Also, never talking to the BBC won't have done much for him up in Newcastle. I know Lord Ferg never does and a few others delegate the job from time to time but Big Sam will have been seen as just hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pardon my ignorance but I never heard about this coaching badge thing until recently. What is the story with it? Its just that the likes of Keane and Stan walked into management completely out of the blue, whereas if they had taken this course or what have you people would have known it was imminent.

Never mind betting on whether he will be appointed manager, I wonder can ya bet if he will be added to the rumours lis for us. Course he will :D

Ive a feeling Shearer wont make a success of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

shane86 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but I never heard about this coaching badge thing until recently. What is the story with it? Its just that the likes of Keane and Stan walked into management completely out of the blue, whereas if they had taken this course or what have you people would have known it was imminent.

Keane had been taking his coaching badges for years. Quite publicly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

shane86 wrote: »

Never mind betting on whether he will be appointed manager, I wonder can ya bet if he will be added to the rumours lis for us. Course he will :D

Ive a feeling Shearer wont make a success of it though.
    I think they just did the coaching badges quietly during their later years as players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Newcastle fan here.

Hear me out please.

Heard it on the radio in the car on the way home and i just thought to myself "Here we go again"

Now i know everyone is calling us a laughing stock for sacking sam but listen to this.

When Sam took over i was over the moon, because i thought Sam would be the man to finally bring us success, everyone should realise it was Shephard who appointed sam not mort and ashley.
    The football we have played under Sam has been the worst football that a newcastle united team has ever played in the past 10 years or so (any newcastle fan will confirm this)

We were a laughing stock on too many occasions this season, getting hammered by portsmouth and liverpool at home, failing to beat derby county TWICE, not even getting a shot on target against wigan at the jjb. Now can anyone of you tell me that this is acceptable? It doesnt matter a bit that Sam has been in charge 8 months, there is absolutlely no excuse for that shít i have had to watch and every other newcastle fan has had to watch week in week out. Another thing, Sam took a HUGE risk signing Joey Barton and look how that turned out.
    Every Newcastle fan knew that Sam was not our man, the signs were there, i wasnt expecting to be in the top 6 or anything i was only expecting our team to be able to pass the fcuking ball, score a few goals and actually defend reaonably well, we havent done any of that this season, and that is why sam has been sacked.

P.S Shearer will not take over, he has already been ruled out, and the majority of Toon fans DO NOT WANT him as manager, we all know he is too inexperienced but maybe some day he will take over.

Sean

I think they just did the coaching badges quietly during their later years as players

yea thats wat most people do.

poor Southgate didnt have time as he was SOOOOO busy representing England.

pffffft

We were a laughing stock on too many occasions this season, getting hammered by portsmouth and liverpool at home, failing to beat derby county TWICE, not even getting a shot on target against wigan at the jjb. Now can anyone of you tell me that this is acceptable? It doesnt matter a bit that Sam has been in charge 8 months, there is absolutlely no excuse for that shít i have had to watch and every other newcastle fan has had to watch week in week out. Another thing, Sam took a HUGE risk signing Joey Barton and look how that turned out.
    Every Newcastle fan knew that Sam was not our man, the signs were there, i wasnt expecting to be in the top 6 or anything i was only expecting our team to be able to pass the fcuking ball, score a few goals and actually defend reaonably well, we havent done any of that this season, and that is why sam has been sacked.

Its called transition, Newcastle will need to go through a period where their football is not the best and they get bad results....its wat happens when managers try to change everything at a club, and be under no mistake, that is wat Newcastle need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Newcastle should have a Manager Idol DE DE DE DA DA DA*

Each manager gets 45 minutes and a team talk, the manager whose team plays the sexiest attacking footballs and scores the most goals gets the job, but the public vote on €1 phone lines to see who gets the 45 minutes. Run it over a few weeks during the summer.

The expert judges could be Stan Sam and Shearer!!!

* if newcastle do this i will sue and refer to this post as proof that its my idea.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Newcastle fan here.

Hear me out please.

Heard it on the radio in the car on the way home and i just thought to myself "Here we go again"

Now i know everyone is calling us a laughing stock for sacking sam but listen to this.

When Sam took over i was over the moon, because i thought Sam would be the man to finally bring us success, everyone should realise it was Shephard who appointed sam not mort and ashley.
    The football we have played under Sam has been the worst football that a newcastle united team has ever played in the past 10 years or so (any newcastle fan will confirm this)

P.S Shearer will not take over, he has already been ruled out, and the majority of Toon fans DO NOT WANT him as manager, we all know he is too inexperienced but maybe some day he will take over.

Sean

Agree with you comletely mate, rubbish style that doesn't suit ...
    just the timing and the "support" publicly given to him by mort/ashley in the past week is what gets to me. Like Shepard never left

smog wrote: »
    Agree with you comletely mate, rubbish style that doesn't suit ...
    just the timing and the "support" publicly given to him by mort/ashley in the past week is what gets to me. Like Shepard never left

and the almost constant boo-ing and questioning of his ability to do his job by Newcastles fans.

sorry mate, but the fans are the main reason in my book.

Its called transition, Newcastle will need to go through a period where their football is not the best and they get bad results....its wat happens when managers try to change everything at a club, and be under no mistake, that is wat Newcastle need.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt mind one or two seasons finishing 10th and whatever, but i believe that a transition can take place without us playing our football in the fcuking championship.

Dont get me wrong, I didnt mind one or two seasons finishing 10th and whatever, but i believe that a transition can take place without us playing our football in the fcuking championship.

and wat position are you in currently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Doesn't send out a good message either when the chairman is standing beside the people boo'ing

and wat position are you in currently?

11th?

And have you seen the run of fixtures we have coming up next? We have one of the easiest first halves to a season that i can remember in a long and all we could manage was a measley 26 points, the way we were going it wasnt looking good.

Look at Man City as a perfect example, they finished 14th last season, and look at them now!
    They absolutely outplayed us at St. James', im convinced we have better individual players than they do, but look what a manager who knows his shít can do, their whole team probably cant even speak to each other due to the varied languages and they play great football.

We have a squad with class players like, Owen, Viduka, Martins, Smith, Duff, Milner, Barton, Emre, Butt and your telling me that its acceptable that we cant even beat Derby, or get shots on targer against the likes of Wigan, that its all about transition? No way José

Well we (liverpool) couldnt beat birmingham/barely beat Derby/drew with Wigan......you squad is too good to get relegated, as has as been said, anyone could keep that squad in the PL. all ye had to was give Sam a chance.

Funny you say "no way Jose" . . . . ya reckon he'll want the job?

but look what a manager who knows his shít can do

so you think sam doesnt know wat he is doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Unearthly wrote: »
    Not even appointing Steve Staunton at this stage could get them relegated tbf

i think u underestimate just how crap staunton is...

so you think sam doesnt know wat he is doing?

Yes thats exactly what i think about his time in charge of Newcastle.
    Get your hand on some of our matches weve played in the past few weeks and it is so obvious that the players dont understand whatever tactics he is trying to get them to play by.

I warn you, its woeful viewing

• Advertisement

i've seen a few full newcastle games this year and i know wat ya mean but i was under the impression that over the last few weeks the performances had been getting better?

The only thing positive in the past few weeks was the Arsenal game and maybe the chelsea game, besides that, it has been a shambles.

Even at the weekend, Stoke deserved to win, we were awful (view fa cup thread for proof) and Sam walks of the pitch with a giant grin on his face, not acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

i aint ever gonna agree that they were right to sack him. they need to give someone time.

as someone on SSN said, no one can attempt the job until after Shearer has attempted and fails/or succeeds. Otherwise the shadow he leaves looming over the club is just too much.

ziggy wrote: »

i agree, that he "could" make it as a manager, but its a massive gamble. one which i would never want my club to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Have to say its a crazyass decision. They werent playing brilliantly but they werent exactly in danger of going down.

He only spent a net £10m in the summer and good aul Freddie hired him, 3 days later there was a new owner and Sheperd was on his bike with a saddlebag full of cash. Would Mike Ashley have hired Big Sam? Im guessing not.

Realistically what do Newcastle fans expect? I was reading their fanzine editors comments on sportinglife and he said they want good football even if they dont get the results, back to the good aul Keegan days :rolleyes:

Shearer hasnt got the neccessary badges by the looks of it and even if he is given dispensation to take the role a lá Southgate I dont think he will make them any better tbh, he has fook all experience, has he even coached a kids team :confused: As a previous poster said, he would prob get them relegated!! Now they have the uber experienced first team coach Nigel Pearson taking them to Old Trafford on Sat evening, the mind really does boggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Newcastle is a club run by idiots with idiot fans, how they can give a new manager 8 months to turn them from the biggest laughing stock in football to a credible club I don't know, and they deserve to get relegated for their sheer utter undeniable cretinism, and hopefully they'll do a Leeds on it and play "sexy football" in the conference.

The timing is absolutely braindead as well, it means a whole transfer window wasted hiring someone else, AND the players Sam got in are going to be wondering how soon they can get out of it.

As I think it was Kdjcal said on the Newcastle thread, they'd be better up winding up the club, selling the stadium, and starting again with a 5 a side team and 4 jumpers.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    post of the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I will agree with Mr Alan, I cant believe I am agreeing with Mr Alan :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Newcastle have a better home record then liverpool :eek:

had to check that to believe it.

rafa out?

kdjac

I definitely agree that the 'Comedy Club' need to find a good manager and back them for a long term stint if they want success. As I pointed out above in an earlier post I think that Big Sam forced Mike Ashley's hand by falling out with pretty much everyone at the same time as going through ridiculously bad form. If they continued to be as rubbish as they were he would have moved him on at the end of the season anyway but at least he would have had a chance to save his job before then.

On the topic of Shearer (whom I still think is too clever to take the job now) and the Southgate dispensation one thing just came to mind. Shearer is in the middle of his UEFA Pro License while to my memory Gareth Southgate was actually still completing his UEFA B coaching badge at the time of the dispensation. It makes it all the more ridiculous when you consider that he still had the UEFA A and Pro License to complete afterwards and that he's still hasn't got his Pro License.
    KdjaCL wrote: »
    rafa out?
    I wouldn't say that but they do share one thing in common. For the most part (particularly Sam) both managers have signed a group of players that haven't really improved the overall quality of the team significantly.

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Newcastle have a better home record then liverpool :eek:

had to check that to believe it.

rafa out?

kdjac

i wondered how long before someone would say that :)

I wouldn't say that but they do share one thing in common. For the most part (particularly Sam) both managers have signed a group of players that haven't really improved the overall quality of the team significantly.

you crazy man! Agger-Reina-Alonso-Arbeloa-Mascherano-Babel-Torres......please dont mention the Raffatullah in the same breath as "Big Sam"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

As a fully paid up member of the Toon army, I was also shocked about Big Sam dismissal, not that he was my preferred choice in the first place, but he deserved at least a full season.
    One thing that amazed me about him, was the "fantastic" job that he did at Bolton, I personally couldn't bear to watch bolton play when sam was manager, basketball not football imo.
    And although Shearer was a very talented player, I think it would be maddness to make him manager due to his lack of experience.

Its a pity Newcastle do most/all their entertaining off the pitch.

• Advertisement

Alan Shearer must be our next manager, for too long he has been a spectre over recent appointments. Gullit drops Shearer bye bye Ruud (hooray). Bobby drops Shearer bye bye Bobby (boo). Shearer's retirement was horrifically on the horizon for Souness (hence the panic buying of Owen/Lugue)
    Even if Shearer was a dismal failure (though horrible for us that loved him) then any successor would be given full remit to run the club as he sees fit minus the shadow of Al.

http://newcastleunited.rivals.net/News/pgArticle.aspx?artid=2483_3033651

:) Gotta agree it does make pefect sense and seems there is a couple of posters here that came to the same conclusion. Not the worst idea in the world

according to SSN, Ashley knows who he wants as a replacement and they can confirm he is british?!

O'Neill?No
    Hughes?Unlikey
    Redknapp?No
    Moyes?Unlikey
    Shearer? :)

you crazy man! Agger-Reina-Alonso-Arbeloa-Mascherano-Babel-Torres......please dont mention the Raffatullah in the same breath as "Big Sam"
    I should have been clearer - I meant his summer 2007 signings. This was supposed to be the big push for the League but the incoming players haven't had enough of an impact on the pitch. Obviously Torres has been brilliant but the others signed this summer haven't exactly set the world on fire. I've liked some of what I saw of Babel but for that much money he's not a regular key player. £21m+ for Torres is good value but spending £6m or £12m on a player who doesn't start regularly isn't great business when it's the starting 11 and not the squad that needs to be better.

Back on topic. According to the slightly biased BBC sources close to Shearer have almost completely ruled him out now.

If Shearer wants to rule himself out, he could have done months ago.....all he had to do was say he had no interest in managing the club for a good few years yet. AFAIK, he never did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Its Redknapp!

Odds on him getting the job have plummeted at all the bookies. Now 4/7 at Paddy Power, Shearer a 9/2 distant second

• Advertisement
Advertisement