Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Sam Sacked?!?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

venables to manage with shearer as number 2 for a year before taking control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Take the Shearer story with a pinch of salt tbh. BBC are getting a habit of trying to be the first to bring out follow up exclusives and make it seem like it came from they're huge branch of "sources". Remember when BBC Sports understood the day after McClaren left that Mourinho had ruled out the job? It eventually took him a few weeks to make up his mind

And remember that big BBC exclusive about Man U signing Craig Gordon over the summer?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Shearer story is suitably vague for it to be completely fictitious. It's been noticeable over the last year or so the way the BBC site are now first with some stories and I've noticed them quite deliberately take quotes out of context on the site for a number of articles. I put a lot less faith in them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Redknapp would be nice, cant see it happening tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Shearer = the Staunton of Ireland

What are they thinking. No one in their right mind is gonna take the Newcastle job. How can they only give him half a season? I know they're not playing great but they're within striking distance of the top half. If he'd been allowed buy a few players in the window they could have pushed on. Look at the quality of players he managed to entice to Bolton.

:D:D:D Surely you meant "Shearer the Staunton of ENGLAND!!!!!!!????? If the Newcastle board bend to the "fans'" demand for Shearer as next Newcastle boss, they should be booted out too!!! Pack of f***in NUMPTIES, the lot of 'em!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

astrofool wrote: »
    Newcastle is a club run by idiots with idiot fans, how they can give a new manager 8 months to turn them from the biggest laughing stock in football to a credible club I don't know, and they deserve to get relegated for their sheer utter undeniable cretinism, and hopefully they'll do a Leeds on it and play "sexy football" in the conference.

The timing is absolutely braindead as well, it means a whole transfer window wasted hiring someone else, AND the players Sam got in are going to be wondering how soon they can get out of it.

As I think it was Kdjcal said on the Newcastle thread, they'd be better up winding up the club, selling the stadium, and starting again with a 5 a side team and 4 jumpers.
    astrofool deserves a prize for his sublime usage of the word "cretinism".

*applause*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Another Toon fan here.

I'm not impressed by Big Sam being gone, but Ashley and Mort seem far too much like proper businessmen to back him a few days ago and then sack him today without
    A) A very good reason (possibly an unreconcilable fallout with the squad, which has been around far too long in the rumour mill not to have some truth to it)
    B) Big Sam didn't get the funds or support he wanted in Jan and decided he wanted out.
    C) The pressure was too much for him.

I think he needed at least the year, at the end we could have looked back and said "looks like your moving us forward, here is £30 million for transfers" or "We are not going anywhere, even though you have had these players together for 40+ games, bye, bye"

Our greatest "successes" came under managers who had long runs in charge i.e. Robson and Keegan. Whoever goes in next we need to back them and see them through a season or two.

The other major factor in this, as a couple of toon fans have pointed out already is that Mike Ashley didn't appoint him.

If Ashley did decide to sack him it would be a foolish time to do it.

I think Jol or maybe as a couple of people have said Harry will be in for the job. Deschamps would be nice too. Shearer is not the man for the job, end of story. Let him manage someone else first, get a track record, then he can have the job.

As regards all the "Jose" digs in the thread, I would love him as manager but I'm pretty sure his severance with Chelsea doesn't allow him to take on another Premier League club until at least the summer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It's a farcical situation. Allardyce was as likely as anyone to turn things around for Newcastle. Given time I think he would have. Ok it mightn't have been the sexiest football ever, but surely Newcastle had long enough as the entertaining circus show team who score for fun but have the keystone cops for a defence?

Allardyce would have gotten results, maybe not this season but in time. He's proved it before. Even this season was hardly a disaster, with one or two good recruits in January and a *fit Michael Owen*, they could have pushed on to a very credible top 7 or 8 finish. Something to build on.

Newcastle fans deserve nothing for their stupidity. They'll never learn. What the hell did they expect Allardyce to do in half a season? He had inherited a club in a bit of a mess with too many overpaid wasters on the playing staff. It was going to take time to sort that out. Shearer won't take it, he has too much savvy than to go near that poisoned chalice for now. He knows the job will be his some day. Any manager would want to be a complete masochist to go near that job at this stage. Worse than the England job!!
    evilhomer wrote:
    Perhaps he was sacked?

Effectively he was sacked.

*EDIT*: Grammar correction. The words 'fit' , 'Michael' and 'Owen' do not belong in the same sentence. Bit of a juxtaposition. See 'Damien Duff' for further details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He was as sacked as sacked can be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

"It was a shock - I didn't expect it."
    Sounds a little melodramatic to me. I know that having worked for years under Phil Gartside at Bolton Sam was used to having time but he knew well that his job was under serious pressure at The Comedy Club.

The official announcement appears to have been mutual consent so I'm assuming he was pushed but there are nice severance terms as long as he keeps his mouth shut about what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

All I can say is GET IN!!! We were going nowhere under Big Sam.

I was prepared to give Big Sam time and what not, but at the end of the day all we want is decent football and the odd result, and even if this season is a write off maybe someone like Redknapp can offer us that. Maybe they will actually use talent like Martins and Emre at their disposal.

And I have to say we're lucky to have an owner that can afford to sack Allardyce after the contract Shephard gave him. Whether it was now or in the summer it seemed inevitable at some stage. Sure £20m to Ashley is pittance anyway.

Skybet has suspended betting on Jose Mourinho. Ashley is fckin loaded so any clauses he had with Chelsea shouldn't be a problem.

Also, gotta love everyone laughing at us right now. Like we're the first club to sack a manager mid-season. Sure everyone was laughing at us after Stoke, Derby etc. so this doesn't change much. Football is a cut-throat business these days, Ashley is a ruthless businessman. But he's also a fan, so some sort of entertainment is fairly important.

kinaldo wrote: »
    All I can say is GET IN!!! We were going nowhere under Big Sam. I was prepared to give Big Sam time and what not,.

obviously you werent prepared to give him time? or do you'd give him time as long as he was playing lovely football?
    but at the end of the day all we want is decent football and the odd result, and even if this season is a write off maybe someone like Redknapp can offer us that. Maybe they will actually use talent like Martins and Emre at their disposal.

You've had decent football and the odd result for years and years, i thought Newcastle want to move on and compete with the top clubs? Bringing stability is the only way you can do that
    And I have to say we're lucky to have an owner that can afford to sack Allardyce after the contract Shephard gave him. Whether it was now or in the summer it seemed inevitable at some stage. Sure £20m to Ashley is pittance anyway.

Your owner has wasted this transfer window. why not sack him before Christmas? Why not wait till just before the end of the season? no players will be signed unless they appoint someone very quick, so watever manager takes over, doesnt even really start till next year when they can put their slant on the squad anyway.
    Skybet has suspended betting on Jose Mourinho. Ashley is fckin loaded so any clauses he had with Chelsea shouldn't be a problem.

Does Jose play that super football that Newcastle fans "deserve"? i wouldnt have thought so. Also i would imagine that Jose has more sense than to take the Newcastle job.
    Also, gotta love everyone laughing at us right now. Like we're the first club to sack a manager mid-season. Sure everyone was laughing at us after Stoke, Derby etc. so this doesn't change much. Football is a cut-throat business these days, Ashley is a ruthless businessman. But he's also a fan, so some sort of entertainment is fairly important.

Everyone is laughing at you because you have had 8 managers in the last 11 years. And that is quite hilarious. Liverpool (if i'm not mistaken) have had 8 managers since Shankley. People arent laughing cause you lose games, every team loses games, they are laughing because of the way your club is run. People thought Shepard leaving may have spelled the end of that, but it seems not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

To Limerick Dude, and other Toon fans, please inform...WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?

You are:
    -well supported
    -struggling
    -decades without silverware

You think you are:
    -"best fans in england"
    -Top 6 quality
    -able to attract star names, "because you're Newcastle"
    -deserving of success

All last year, after Villa's takoever, we had to endure the players playing above themselves with some good results before we slumped and couldnt buy a win. We never called for MON's head, even if he did have his critics in the stands. It's a little thing called patience. A club like yourself, or Villa, or Everton or [insert name of so called sleeping giant here] have to be prepared to cast off your first season or 2 as "transition". The clip of the "best fans in england" berating Big Sam with the "you dont know what you're doing" chant was just comical. Like you deserve any better :rolleyes:

So what now? You sack your manager in January transfer window, a new guy has to come in and try sign decent players in 2 weeks or else he's stuck with the same bunch of under performers as his predecessor. Absolutely mental. Even someone like Mourinho would be happy with just keeping you out of the relegation zone and shaping the side for next season. FWIW I never really liked Allardyce, but he seems to be an effective manager because a truly awful Bolton team flourished under his leadership, making themselves the new Wimbledon and getting into Europe in the process. Look at Bolton now, relegation cannon fodder ever since he left. He was the best man for the poisoned chalice that is the Toon job.

Like I say, Allardyce won't be short of offers anyway. I always liked Newcastle since the Keegan days, despised Sheppard tho. You cannot claim to deserve any more than midtable when you chastise your own manager halfway thru his first season in charge. Like I say, I'm no Big Sam fan but his credentials speak for themselves, yours don't....

If Shearer takes that job I'll lose all respect for what was one of the greatest goalscorers in modern history. I was in awe of him as a Striker, hopefully he'll run a mile.

Mr. Alan, you ask so many questions like I have all the answers. Who knows, in football anything can happen, so stop spouting cliches like every manager needs time, transition periods, Newcastle fans too demanding etc.

Anyway, I said I was prepared to give Allardyce time, i.e. I wasn't calling for him to be sacked yet. But now that he's gone I'm over it. We have to look forward.

I still have confidence in Mike Ashley. Let's see how his first managerial appointment turns out before we judge him, shall we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Should never have gotten rid of Wor Bobby!

Mr. Alan, you ask so many questions like I have all the answers. Who knows, in football anything can happen, so stop spouting cliches like every manager needs time, transition periods, Newcastle fans too demanding etc.

Anyway, I said I was prepared to give Allardyce time, i.e. I wasn't calling for him to be sacked yet. But now that he's gone I'm over it. We have to look forward.

I still have confidence in Mike Ashley. Let's see how his first managerial appointment turns out before we judge him, shall we?

Cliches? these are cliches for a reason....because they are true.

Managers need time to turn underperforming poor teams into teams qualifying for Europe year in and year out.

The fact you said "GET IN!" in response to him being sacked gave me the impression that you were delighted. Apologies if it shouldnt?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lawreson made a very good point on Football Focus a few weeks back about Newcastle. He said that there's a very large part of the Newcastle support that wouldn't mind losing a game as long as it was a 4-3 thriller.

The fans really are deluded if they think they can play sexy football week in week out and still be putting it up to the big boys. The best guide to future behaviour is past behaviour and there's nothing in their recent past to suggest they'll be winning anything any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Big Sam for Ireland. Sure it will be just like the Charlton days :D;)

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Cliches? these are cliches for a reason....because they are true.

Managers need time to turn underperforming poor teams into teams qualifying for Europe year in and year out.

The fact you said "GET IN!" in response to him being sacked gave me the impression that you were delighted. Apologies if it shouldnt?!

Yes. Delighted that I no longer have to look forward to the "football" we've played so often this season against the likes of Derby and Wigan.

I honestly think we have the makings of a good team, and a good manager will get us going.

And here's a cliche for you; anything can happen in football! So that negates all your other cliches.

As for the new manager, this season will now form the basis for next season. Nothing will be expected this season aside from "football". Not that hard.

Ok....that was my point.....you were delighted he got the sack.....and were not willing to give him time. Hence the problem Newcastle fans face.

Will you only be willing to give someone the time if they are playing lovely football at the same time? if that is the case, expect no changes in Newcastles fortunes in the near future

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Lawreson made a very good point on Football Focus a few weeks back about Newcastle. He said that there's a very large part of the Newcastle support that wouldn't mind losing a game as long as it was a 4-3 thriller.
    Lawrenson has a habit of saying the exact opposite of how most Newcastle fans feel. He hates us, we hate him. He was once our '"defensive coach", a role that was short lived.

I just checked and Man U have had 8 managers since...... World War 2. Lulz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well in fairness any team that ever had titus bramble in it never really stood a chance regardless of who was defensive coach.

• Advertisement

Ok....that was my point.....you were delighted he got the sack.....and were not willing to give him time. Hence the problem Newcastle fans face.

Will you only be willing to give someone the time if they are playing lovely football at the same time? if that is the case, expect no changes in Newcastles fortunes in the near future
    I was prepared to give him time. I'm a patient person. But now I don't have to and I'm quite happy. How hard is that for you to understand?

If we play decent football, or lovely football as you put it, then results should follow. Maybe not spectacular results. but results.

The only thing that is not acceptable is non-football combined mediocre results. That is why Big Sam was sacked - not the fans.

Actually Bramble is currently Wigans player/problem I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

That is correct, that is why I said, ever had him in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He's a fox in the box at Anfield though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I hereby pledge my support for Sam Allardyce to become manager of the Irish National Football team. A man does not become a poor manager overnight. Newcastle are a team who hold themselves in too high an esteem. Im a West Ham fan, however, Newcastle are no bigger or more successful then my team. In fact they have been the most consistent big spenders ( Chelsea only began buying big in 1998, Manure in 1998, Arsenal 1997) Since 1995 Newcastle have been paying 7 million here and 8 million there. Yet they have been a complete failure and have delivered nothing. Even Freddy Shephard forced the club into te inter toto cup, as "Newcastle were too big not to be in Europe"

Les Ferdinand 7m
    Warren Barton 4m
    David Ginola 2m

Faustino Asprilla 7m
    Alan Shearer 15m

J Dal Tommason 4m

D.Ferguson 8 m
    S. Guivarch 4m
    D.Domi 4m

K.Dyer 7m
    Marchelino 5m
    A.Goma 4m

C.Cort 7m
    D.Cordone 2m

C.Bellamy 6m
    L.Robert 11m
    T Lua Lua 3m

H.Viana 10m
    J.Jenas 5m

L.Bowyer

N.Butt 3m
    J.Milner 5m
    P.Kluivert

J.A.Boumong 8m
    C.Babyaro 4m
    M.Owen 17m
    S.Parker 8m
    Emre 5m
    A.Luque 9m

D.Duff 5 Million

A.Smith 7m
    M.Viduka 3m
    Gerimi 1m

• Advertisement

Well in fairness any team that ever had titus bramble in it never really stood a chance regardless of who was defensive coach.

actually that was well before Bramble's time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lawrenson has a habit of saying the exact opposite of how most Newcastle fans feel. He hates us, we hate him. He was once our '"defensive coach", a role that was short lived.
    Whether you all like him or not his point seems to be true.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I hereby pledge my support for Sam Allardyce to become manager of the Irish National Football team. A man does not become a poor manager overnight. Newcastle are a team who hold themselves in too high an esteem. Im a West Ham fan, however, Newcastle are no bigger or more successful then my team. In fact they have been the most consistent big spenders ( Chelsea only began buying big in 1998, Manure in 1998, Arsenal 1997) Since 1995 Newcastle have been paying 7 million here and 8 million there. Yet they have been a complete failure and have delivered nothing. Even Freddy Shephard forced the club into te inter toto cup, as "Newcastle were too big not to be in Europe"

Les Ferdinand 7m
    Warren Barton 4m
    David Ginola 2m

Faustino Asprilla 7m
    Alan Shearer 15m

J Dal Tommason 4m

D.Ferguson 8 m
    S. Guivarch 4m
    D.Domi 4m

K.Dyer 7m
    Marchelino 5m
    A.Goma 4m

C.Cort 7m
    D.Cordone 2m

C.Bellamy 6m
    L.Robert 11m
    T Lua Lua 3m

H.Viana 10m
    J.Jenas 5m

L.Bowyer

N.Butt 3m
    J.Milner 5m
    P.Kluivert

J.A.Boumong 8m
    C.Babyaro 4m
    M.Owen 17m
    S.Parker 8m
    Emre 5m
    A.Luque 9m

D.Duff 5 Million

A.Smith 7m
    M.Viduka 3m
    Gerimi 1m
    Actually we are more successful than West Ham, and technically bigger by whatver criteria you use, but thanks for that.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Whether you all like him or not his point seems to be true.
    Except that it's not true. It's a myth perpetuated by Sky and the likes of him, not the fans.

Kinaldo-we could talk about this all night.

You cant say, i was willing to give him time, and then be delighted he got the sack....if you want things to change at Newcastle, you'll need to walk the walk as opposed to just talking the talk...ie,you'll need to put up with ****e performances and results, as a proven manager, with a track record (Big Sam) alters the many things that were wrong with the club.

As has been pointed out, Newcastle are mid-table at the minute and in no immediate danger of getting relegated

were at the start of a new transfer window giving a PROVEN manager, a chance to bolster his squad.

and has already been pointed out, Newcastle have a better home record than Liverpool this year

So if you honestly think that the results are wat got him the sack and not Ashley sitting with some of the most fickle and clueless fans in England i dont know wat i can say to change you mind.

goodnight.

Actually we are more successful than West Ham, and technically bigger by whatver criteria you use, but thanks for that.
    Seriously kinaldo, delusion affects your senses. Both teams remarkably similar. Newcastle are undoubtedly a very well supported team, the envy of many other teams in fact. That does not make you a "big club" - only those who challenge in Europe and for domestic competitions can really claim to be a big club. It's not a status based on how many fans you have, but on your level of sustained success, of which you have none.
    Trust me, I know from many years experience, midtable mediocrity is difficult to live with.

Home form my arse. We've been sh1te at home and abysmal away, if that's better than Pool then they have problems.

And no I couldn't talk about this all night because frankly I'm quite bored now. I've said my piece and you genuinely don't understand me, so whatever.

Looking forward to the new manager thread.

Savman wrote: »
    Seriously kinaldo, delusion affects your senses. Both teams remarkably similar. Newcastle are undoubtedly a very well supported team, the envy of many other teams in fact. That does not make you a "big club" - only those who challenge in Europe and for domestic competitions can really claim to be a big club. It's not a status based on how many fans you have, but on your level of sustained success, of which you have none.
    Trust me, I know from many years experience, midtable mediocrity is difficult to live with.

Mistake?

Big Fanbase-Yes
    Well Supported-No

Mistake?

Big Fanbase-Yes
    Well Supported-No
    I am not opening that can of worms ;)

I have no delusions of grandeur.

There's a scale right. It measures in various ways. Trophies being the number one criteria. Then comes stature, fanbase, stadium size, average attendance, income, expenditure etc.

Some guy said we're no bigger "or successful" than West Ham - yes we are. We can start at the beginning of English football and look at how many trophies have been attained, or we can talk about the Premiership and how Newcastle in one less season than most are still 5th in the overall Premiership table. And West Ham consider top 6 'success'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No matter what you think of any manager, you only have to look at Big Sams record. They won't get somebody else of his record, not a chance. Not only that, because they are so stupid about sacking managers and not giving them a chance, they are gona have trouble attracting any decent managers.

Well Supported-No
    Average home attendance?

Away support reuglarly tops 5k.

Well supported- yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Het-Field wrote: »
    I hereby pledge my support for Sam Allardyce to become manager of the Irish National Football team.
    I'm sorry but is the manager that left Emre on the bench for most of the season. He's a long ball merchant and we don't have the players for that. In fact we do. He'd probably play Morrison, Kilbane and O'Shea in favour of Doyle, Andy Reid and Ireland.

Boring stats comparison since he left Bolton and joined Newcaslte...

Bolton:
    [B]               06/07             07/08[/b]
    [B]Player             Passes/90 minutes (Success)[/B]

N.Hunt         32 (57%)          26 (62%)
    T.B.Haim       36 (63%)          49 (92%)
    A.Meite        27 (71%)          22 (78%)
    A.Faye         33 (66%)          31 (75%) Still playing under Sam

I.Campo        43 (71%)          45 (72%)
    G.Speed        39 (70%)          36 (72%)
    K.Nolan        26 (69%)          20 (76%)
    E.H.Diouf      30 (73%)          30 (76%)

N.Anelka       25 (72%)          23 (73%)
    K.Davies       37 (52%)          33 (55%)
    [B]Total/Average  328 (66.4%)       315 (73.1%)[/B]

Newcastle:
    [B]               06/07             07/08[/b]
    [B]Player             Passes/90 minutes (Success)[/B]

H.Beye         -                 26 (66%)
    D.Rozehnal     -                 31 (76%)
    S.Taylor       36 (72%)          29 (76%)
    C.N'Zogbia     31 (75%)          32 (69%)

N.Butt         50 (73%)          42 (74%)
    Geremi         55 (76%)          41 (77%)
    A.Smith        35 (77%)          33 (72%)
    J.Milner       33 (72%)          26 (68%)

M.Viduka       32 (70%)          29 (67%)
    O.Martins      27 (77%)          21 (71%)
    [B]Total/Average   - (74%)          310 (71.6%)[/B]

Average home attendance?

Away support reuglarly tops 5k.

Well supported- yes.

ahhhh ya see, thats where we disagree.....numbers does not equal good support, it means you have a big fan base.

I have no delusions of grandeur.

There's a scale right. It measures in various ways. Trophies being the number one criteria. Then comes stature, fanbase, stadium size, average attendance, income, expenditure etc.

Some guy said we're no bigger "or successful" than West Ham - yes we are. We can start at the beginning of English football and look at how many trophies have been attained, or we can talk about the Premiership and how Newcastle in one less season than most are still 5th in the overall Premiership table. And West Ham consider top 6 'success'.
    Why what do the toon consider success? Top 6 is actually considered "success" in the modern game, because it's virtually a path into Europe. Then you can get more income for the club and attract better players etc. Newcastle were, and still are, very capable of a Top 6 finish but it would take a mammoth effort by the players...and possible the fans too. IMHO you just hit the self destruct button, when personally I thought yiz were on the verge of turning a corner. Milner, Martins, Owen & co. are all good players and you were never in any danger in fairness.

Changing managers now so abruptly can only disrupt the club further. If Ashley never wanted Allardyce, fair enough, but it just demonstrates how badly things are being done off the field as well as on it.

ahhhh ya see, thats where we disagree.....numbers does not equal good support, it means you have a big fan base.
    What makes for bad support? The lack of atmosphere that is shared amongst the Premiership clubs, or minority sections of a crown booing when 3-0 down at home to Pompey after 15 minutes? Excuse us for not singing "we're gonna win 4-3" at that stage (although some probably did).

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

PHB wrote: »
    No matter what you think of any manager, you only have to look at Big Sams record. They won't get somebody else of his record, not a chance. Not only that, because they are so stupid about sacking managers and not giving them a chance, they are gona have trouble attracting any decent managers.

It is not his record.
    It is the fact that :

1. the owner didn't appoint him
    2. there is some friction with ashley and sam. (Ashley is very public in the crowd and sam refuses to even do a post match interview)
    3. letting it settle (even though i thought the timing/pre-support was wrong) i think its better off.
    4. Harry has a lovely style of tactics and is complete wheeler dealer, not bad appointment if that was to be the case.
    5. we have a tough run, let go off the man u game - was never coming to happen the way we were playing, bring in someone after (or mid run) to kick the run up for a 6/7 position and an idea of what to look for during the summer transfer)
    6. Ashley has aready plugged a 75M !!!! debt without blinking an eyelid, we have a Roman Abramovich, and if he want his fantasy team, he needs HIS manager. let him do as he pleases from what ive seen so far. THe past does not count to him. so what if we have had a ton of managers, some of them have been great, but none of them have been Ashleys!

Why what do the toon consider success? Top 6 is actually considered "success" in the modern game, because it's virtually a path into Europe.
    Newcastle are quite a successful Premiership club then... oh how we've fallen. Success this season would have been top 6 or 7. In order for that to happen now we would have to suddenly start playing actual football between now and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Newcastle and Man City are the biggest "Fan-Based" supported in the PL. No matter what division they would end up in. Fans would turn out in 4 foot of snow. And only avoid a game to make a point!

Never a prawn sandwich brigade to be seen. Everyone is there for one reason only, watching FOOTBALL ...And every supporter has been to the ground unlike certain clubs supported by prebesant asian kids dreaming of golden balls .

• Advertisement

smog wrote: »
    let him do as he pleases from what ive seen so far. THe past does not count to him.
    So you'd have no objection to changing the official club colours? How about renaming the team itself? "Ashley Stadium" has a nice ring to it.

Advertisement