Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Sam Sacked?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

It was reported last week that Sam had become very unhappy in the north east, that he felt very isolated, and wasn't enjoying it at all. Not really good vibes to be sending out to your employers on the back of 3 defeats and some dismal performances while the owner looks on amongst his fellow away fans.

smog wrote: »
    Newcastle and Man City are the biggest "Fan-Based" supported in the PL. No matter what division they would end up in. Fans would turn out in 4 foot of snow. And only avoid a game to make a point!

Never a prawn sandwich brigade to be seen. Everyone is there for one reason only, watching FOOTBALL ...And every supporter has been to the ground unlike certain clubs supported by prebesant asian kids dreaming of golden balls .
    I don't want to get into a big fan debate, we're by no means the best and I imagine there would be plenty of empty seats if we were relegated. The only thing we can say is everyone from Newcastle supports Newcastle United and that will always be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

should never have gotten rid of Bobby.

once again pressured by fans the Newcastle board rushes into a decision. Sam may not be the right man to take Newcastle out of the doldrums, but at the moment, given the reputation of the fans and the demands of the place, he would probably be the best candidate still. We all knew that Sam would require a complete overhaul of the team too, passing judgement on him after a handful of months is just foolish.

tbh though i wouldn't be surprised if Sam just got pissed off with the place and fans pretty fast and jumped at the severance pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Savman wrote: »
    So you'd have no objection to changing the official club colours? How about renaming the team itself? "Ashley Stadium" has a nice ring to it.

lol .. yea right! i think he has a genuine intrest, firing a manager he didn't appoint is a far cry from changing history.

We get a manager and will pick up against the smoggies on Feb 3rd that will fire it up.

TBH i think this feels like finally dumping someone you knew in the back of your mind wasn't right for you. The more i think about what Ashley could do, the more i know its right.

I think this was not the timing Ashley was expecting to undertake this. He was away and still to seal his target. Sky News is claiming that they broke this to BFS earlier today after training and he "went to confirm" that story and i dont think Mort could deny they were looking elsewhere.

Their hand was forced.

Anyway optimistic and couldn't care less what anyone else may think, im off to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

kinaldo wrote: »
    I don't want to get into a big fan debate, we're by no means the best and I imagine there would be plenty of empty seats if we were relegated. The only thing we can say is everyone from Newcastle supports Newcastle United and that will always be the case.

Fair Enough, i dont either at all, just sick of recieving it.
    NewC and ManC have both been down a division and still had the same support demand though, first thing that stuck me is that we have been down there and still support the club we love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

2. there is some friction with ashley and sam. (Ashley is very public in the crowd and sam refuses to even do a post match interview)

just had to respond to this.

sam doesnt do a post match interview?! his mug is permanently on the telly. he doesnt do them with the BBC as they accused him of being bent as a fiddlers elbow, but he is ALWAYS on sky talking about everything from how Rafa is a lucky manager and would've gotten the sack if he didnt win the CL all the way to things like how he would never comment on Steve McClarens position as England manager as he wouldnt disrespect a manager like that (the hypocricy is delicious isnt it Sam?!)

wasnt he also on Sky playing darts in some tournament and didnt he coin the phrase "big sam" and invent a whole persona around it?

Yes he did, Sam is just as hungry for the limelight as Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fair Enough, i dont either at all, just sick of recieving it.
    NewC and ManC have both been down a division and still had the same support demand though, first thing that stuck me is that we have been down there and still support the club we love

This is a myth. In the 1980/81 season when they were in the old Division 2 their average attendance was 16,001.

In the 1990/1991 season when they were in the same division their average gate was 16,879. Three seasons later when they were in the Premiership their average attendance was 33,794.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufchistory/nufcattendancerecords.shtml

The way Newcastle fans go on you'd swear they were getting 40,000 mimimum every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

This is a myth. In the 1980/81 season when they were in the old Division 2 their average attendance was 16,001.

In the 1990/1991 season when they were in the same division their average gate was 16,879. Three seasons later when they were in the Premiership their average attendance was 33,794.

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufchistory/nufcattendancerecords.shtml

The way Newcastle fans go on you'd swear they were getting 40,000 mimimum every season.

haha just beat me to it. That surprises many toon fans and silence them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

The only thing we can say is everyone from Newcastle supports Newcastle United and that will always be the case.

Do you realise the hypocricy of what you're saying?

DSB wrote: »
    Do you realise the hypocricy of what you're saying?

oh right, if the fans decide it's not worth their money anymore to go to games then they no longer support the club, gotcha.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i find it shocking that he has been sacked, it just doesnt make any logical sense to hire a guy then sack him before he gets a chance, he hasnt had a chance to get his own players in and put his stamp on the club, newcastle is a joke tbh...... but omg im praying they get shearer in, cant wait to watch that when it eventually happens, i can see harry redknapp as the next manager though

Haha nope not what I'm saying at all.

Unearthly wrote: »
    haha just beat me to it. That surprises many toon fans and silence them.
    Yeah, been silencing me and others for 15 trophyless years now while our attendance-stadium capacity percentage has remained up there with Man U, Arsenal and Pool at over 98%.

Haha nope not what I'm saying at all.

ok so what exactly are you saying?

You talking about how at least the people from Newcastle support Newcastle.

Yeah, been silencing me and others for 15 trophyless years now while our attendance-stadium capacity percentage has remained up there with Man U, Arsenal and Pool at over 98%.

Yeah which was about the time you got promoted to the top league so it doesn't help the "we will always have the same demand for attendance no matter what league we are in" argument

Unearthly wrote: »
    Yeah which was about the time you got promoted to the top league so it doesn't help the "we will always have the same demand for attendance no matter what league we are in" argument
    Never argued that. and frankly I don't care unless it happens. What other clubs would give for our attendances since the Halls took over is more important.

You talking about how at least the people from Newcastle support Newcastle.
    Yeah, as opposed to the London-Manchester-Birmingham teams. Newcastle are almost unique in that sense. People from Newcastle don't travel to Manchester like they do from London to support Man U.

Are you from Newcastle?

Never argued that. and frankly I don't care unless it happens. What other clubs would give for our attendances since the Halls took over is more important.

It wasn't you I was arguing with originally.

It was that 'smog' guy

• Advertisement

Are you from Newcastle?
    Way to miss the point. I said people from Newcastle support Newcastle United and always will. That has always been the case. Most other teams cannot say that about their city. Sunderland can but I can't think of any others.

I got the point already. Just thought you came across as a complete hypocrite in saying it? So basically what you're saying is its ok for you to support Newcastle but not someone from Newcastle to support Man United.

I got the point already. Just thought you came across as a complete hypocrite in saying it? So basically what you're saying is its ok for you to support Newcastle but not someone from Newcastle to support Man United.
    It's perfectly fine by me, but it doesn't happen. It's actually unheard of. You speak with a Geordie accent, you're a Newcastle fan, end of. Which is why I said it. To quote myself, "all we can say is..."

To quote yourself 'way to miss the point'
    I'm referring to how you talk about that fact like its something amazing yet you don't follow it up as a fan yourself. Surely by that logic you'd be a fan of a Dublin club. Unless you are and I'm barking up the wrong completely.

To quote yourself 'way to miss the point'
    I'm referring to how you talk about that fact like its something amazing yet you don't follow it up as a fan yourself. Surely by that logic you'd be a fan of a Dublin club. Unless you are and I'm barking up the wrong completely.
    I consider myself an adopted Geordie at this stage. I refer to us Newcastle fans as "we". I said it because it's something unique to us, not amazing. As fans it's about all we can say. If that seems hypocritical or arrogant to you then I suggest for you not to converse with other football fans (ever), because it will only end up in silly arguments like this one right now.

I consider myself an adopted Geordie at this stage. I refer to us Newcastle fans as "we". I said it because it's something unique to us, not amazing. As fans it's about all we can say. If that seems hypocritical or arrogant to you then I suggest for you not to converse with other football fans (ever), because it will only end up in silly arguments like this one right now.

I'm sure those people consider themselves adopted Mancunians too. You're getting nowhere. No point boasting about the achievements of others.

I'm sure those people consider themselves adopted Mancunians too. You're getting nowhere. No point boasting about the achievements of others.
    Good for them. It's hardly a major boast now.

According to you its the only thing yas can say, grim times ahead then?

According to you its the only thing yas can say, grim times ahead then?
    yeah, as fans, compared to other fans, because I was pointing out to another Newcastle fan that we ain't the "best" fans.

The future is bright (in a black and white kind of way)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol @ Newcastle, seriously.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Des has more going for him than Shearer

Yeah, a personality.

anyway, I'd never take the Newcastle job.

I have a managers job that I'm NEVER going to be sacked from. :D

Also, we have no fickle fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's just lunacy. Harry would be an idiot to go there imo. Newcastle have **** defenders. Nothing you can do about that, except buy new defenders! I didn't like his purchase of Viduka and Smith, I thought one would be enough, but in all fairness, what do you expect? I'll be interested to see who they get to fall on the sword next.

Look at O'Neill. At first the fans were questioning him, but now he is beginning to show how he is building something. As somebody said, United have had 8 managers since the war. There's a reason that that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

2. there is some friction with ashley and sam. (Ashley is very public in the crowd and sam refuses to even do a post match interview)

4. Harry has a lovely style of tactics and is complete wheeler dealer, not bad appointment if that was to be the case.
    Well if you only watch BBC don't be expecting 'Arry to be giving any interviews either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The thing is Ashley must have lined up a very big name manager with proven track record, I mean surely he wouldn't have sacked somebody with Big Sam's record without having someone better lined up?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Lads, I'm pleased to announce that I am the new manager of Newcastle United.

I sent in a CV a few weeks ago and Mike got in touch to arrange an interview. I wowwed him with my knowledge of the game and passion for the job. He doesn't expect miracles, only players and a style of football that befits Newcastle.

I am going to try to sign old Denilson, Juninho, Bramble and Younes Kaboul.

Can I be your Assistant? :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I need an assistant, I seem to have a pretty good grasp on what players I need to bring to St James. Who do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Congrats Pepe LeFrits.

I think the player that you need to bring back is obvious. Alan Shearer. I think it's clear that he is distancing himself from manager job as he wants a playing job. The fans have been chanting his name. Surely they can't be stupid enough to want a manager with no experience whatsoever, and whose indepth analysis of games on MOTD is, he's english therefore good, to take over their club. It must be because they want him back on the pitch. We've all seen Rocky, why not Shearer!

Aye I second Shearer and I'd also get Lineker as his partner and then Hansen and Lawrenson to steady the back 4.

PHB wrote: »
    Surely they can't be stupid enough to want a manager with no experience whatsoever
    They hired me. Although I do have a stellar Football Manager record.

If you bring success within Football Manager you are more than qualified, although you may want to start a new game as Newcastle to see who you need to sell :D

• Advertisement

You guys are too funny, maybe you should post in the humour forum.

The majority of Newcastle fans do not want Shearer in charge. A few members of the toon army chant his name and the media latch on to it.

Like how they perpetuate the myth that we have to have attacking football. We were given that by KK, then we had to suffer the most dour football ever from Kenny Dalglish while he dismantled that team... if he had beaten Arsenal in the FA Cup final we would have still been happy though.

Robson gave us attacking football then Souness rivaled Dalglish for style and results. Such dramatic changes has you longing for the good times, it doesn't mean we have great expectations, that we have to win and win in style. It's a stupid myth.

We were already a laughing stock under Big Sam... almost losing to Derby twice, failing to get shots on target in home games or at Wigan, almost embarrassed by Stoke etc. Man Utd couldn't wait for this weekend, Arsenal were celebrating their FA Cup draw. If Big Sam was given more time like a lot seem to think he deserved, then it would most likely have turned out to be a huge waste of time.

Sorry if we're not sorry to see the back of him.

Ah but the big question Kinaldo is who is going to replace him, no matter how bad things seemed to be, surely you agree it is crazy to sack such a good manager without having someone as good lined up?

Villain wrote: »
    Ah but the big question Kinaldo is who is going to replace him, no matter how bad things seemed to be, surely you agree it is crazy to sack such a good manager without having someone as good lined up?
    Dutch media are linking us with Hiddink which would be fantastic. Hitzfeld just announced he is to leave Bayern at the end of the season so that's a possibility but very unlikely. Ashley would be hailed as a hero if he persuaded him to take over. I wouldn't rule out Mourinho at all. It's ambitious but stranger things have happened. He likes a challenge and would be the popular choice. And we can afford him. Harry Redknapp would be an interesting choice and the most likely. I think it would be a lot of fun if he took over.

If say Mourinho has been lined up then I think most people would agree there was no point in hanging on to Allardyce (who was very unhappy let's not forget).

Well I don't think having a caretaker manager until the summer is a good idea at all, I could see players wanting to leave if that was the case.

Jose would be a great one to get but I can't see it I also can't see Harry Redknapp taking it, I think a someone from outside the premiership is more likely as I'm sure most managers like Redknapp see it as a poisioned chalice at this stage.

Villain wrote: »
    Well I don't think having a caretaker manager until the summer is a good idea at all, I could see players wanting to leave if that was the case.
    If in the unlikely event of it being Hitzfeld, then it would almost certainly be with immediate effect. That he's leaving Bayern at the end of the season just makes things easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I doubt any managers with a great reputation like Hiddink would want it as there's a better chance they'd harm their reputation rather than improve it, managing Newcastle.

I doubt any managers with a great reputation like Hiddink would want it as there's a better chance they'd harm their reputation rather than improve it, managing Newcastle.
    I think the real top notch managers would be up for such a huge challenge without worrying too much about reputations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mark Hughes is being linked with the Newcastle job now. Bookies reporting a flurry of bets on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I think the real top notch managers would be up for such a huge challenge without worrying too much about reputations.

The top notch managers will be running away from this like a man with the plague was chasing them down the street. You build a reputation based on years and years of experience, why ruin your chances of going to a bigger (which there are quote a few of) and better club? The only man to come out of the club with his reputation enhanced was Keegan, but he still won nothing.

Martin Jol I think is the highest you could hope for, but I can see it being another medicore appointment. Houllier, Shearer, Stuart Pearce, McClaren. Not a chance of Hiddink or Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

An article from the usually brilliant guardian. http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/10/allardyce_the_brutalist_left_p.html

Love this one "His squad grew bored during interminable team meetings about how "to stop" opponents, and one brave player once asked: "But what do you want us to do when we're on the ball?"

• Advertisement
Advertisement