Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understanding Men + Women - Our Passions

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

FFS, you don't know every man in the world, you can't possibly know how they all operate. Fundamentally, how one acts is down to the individual, not their gender.

Read my first post in the thread. I've never been told to act like a "real man", repress my emotions, never show weakness or any of that absolute generalised bullshít that you've spouted about how all men apparently operate. Explain to me, please, how I am simply pretending that I don't operate like this and not simply not acting like this because I don't want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    FFS, you don't know every man in the world, you can't possibly know how they all operate. Fundamentally, how one acts is down to the individual, not their gender.

Read my first post in the thread. I've never been told to act like a "real man", repress my emotions, never show weakness or any of that absolute generalised bullshít that you've spouted about how all men apparently operate. Explain to me, please, how I am simply pretending that I don't operate like this and not simply not acting like this because I don't want to?

But I never said all men, I constantly said "in my experience"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Kazobel wrote: »

What you actually said was "I know how men operate"

Funny, I've heard this claim from women more than once (strangely, men don't seem to make the same confident claims about women).

In my experience, the women who make these claims tend to be those who consider themselves most hurt/insulted/let down etc by men - thus perhaps suggesting that the opposite is more likely to be true - that they don't really know how men operate.

With your knowledge of "how men operate" do you then find men quite malleable? Are you able to live your life safe in the knowledge that bad male behaviour is so predictable and thus for you, easy to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

Caveat wrote: »
    What you actually said was "I know how men operate"

Funny, I've heard this claim from women more than once (strangely, men don't seem to make the same confident claims about women).

In my experience, the women who make these claims tend to be those who consider themselves most hurt/insulted/let down etc by men - thus perhaps suggesting that the opposite is more likely to be true - that they don't really know how men operate.

With your knowledge of "how men operate" do you then find men quite malleable? Are you able to live your life safe in the knowledge that bad male behaviour is so predictable and thus for you, easy to avoid?

No I was just born male so I think that gives me a certain degree of insight into male social dynamics 102.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

No I was just born male

OK missed that part but it doesn't really matter - my post still applies.

I too was born male - But I don't necessarily think that I know "how men operate".

With respect, given your gender status & circumstances and that you have (always?) felt you were female, I don't see how your "insight" as a male carries much weight really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Quote -Barneysplash

Seriously, post good stuff, favourite music, sport, drama, whatever,
    that expresses the essence of being male.
    As Barney said above .To much introspective replys from previous posters makes the thread borning .

No you didn't. In fact you never used that phrase. In your first post you said that what you said was just your opinion based on your experiences and that you were sure other men would disagree, when we did disagree you changed your tone and said that because of your experiences you know how men act and implied that the vast majority of us are putting on an act, repress emotions etc. When I told you this was distorted generalising, you siad it wasn't generalising, it was fact, that you knew how men act and accused me of pretending that I did not act in the ways which you described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Yawn ............................:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But I have no gender bias, I've lived as both genders and find female to be the easiest. It's not a bias it's a fact IMO
    Nope you're a biological male who feels more comfortable in what you perceive to be the feminine world. You have not lived as both genders. Ironically you've actually lived in neither. You're not a biological woman, so that's a given and because of your gender issues you're not a "man" either.

Well men normally do find the opposite, it's like if a girl cries because she's misses a friend men see it as :rolleyes: BUT if a man cries because of something stupid like his team loses thats totally accetable, you all justify your waeknessess by saying "sure everyone does it"
    That is such utter utter crap, I don't know where to start. You seem to either know a subset of stereotypes or your entire experience of manhood is locked in some boozy adolescence. Boys grow up you know.

Not at all, I never felt I need to compete with women the same way as I was made feel I should have to compete with men
    Guess why? Women don't see you as a woman(subconciously or not), so they don't see the need to compete with you frankly.

No I'm not taking the piss,
    Sadly I don't think you are.
    as I said men need the approval of other men to feel validated, it's actually quite gay really because no matter how big/strong/fast you all are you only brag to other men about it because all men want is the approval of other men. A girl can say "Look honey you don't have to prove anything to me" but a guy will still commit a stupid act just to prove he has nothing to prove. Men are mostly double entrandras.
    Jesus, you seem to have an idea of what men are and what women are. You appear to have no clue of either gender. It's like your world is full of stereotypes. Men=repressed, emotional overly competitive children versus women = supportive, strong wonderful creatures. That's more a stereotypical gay guys perception of the genders not a woman's or indeed a man's.

Not really, Yeats wasn't "going on with it", Constable wasn't "going on with it", Shatespear wasn't "going on with it", most of their best work was after a period of dating and a break up and they used that as a conduite for the bulk of their work
    Again you've misunderstood.

In any event you need to brush up on your history. Constable was in love with one woman in his life. His childhood sweetheart(Mary I believe), who he later married against all odds at the time. His best work was arguably when he was with her. She died young and he never remarried. He didn't "date" or have a break up. :rolleyes: Shakespeare? Yeats? I'm not even going to bother.

you did get personal.
    Nope I didn't. I didn't say you were a closet emo.

Good because it wasn't even sense
    I think the expression is "oooh get her". Try reading it again. It makes perfect sense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

I think this thread is beyond saving, but anyway here is a nice video
    of pure man-power.

I wonder what the female equivelant is, any ideas?:)

The Williams sisters?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK on topic? :) Not a big sport fan. Used to like motorsports a lot, but Gran Prix got very boring. Not enough overtaking and death basically. Football leaves me completely cold for some reason. Must be missing a gene or something.

Hobbies would include fishing, arts of various types, tinkering with cars, film(mostly war stereotypically:D)and throw in getting seriously fit again recently and I prefer beer to wine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Football leaves me completely cold for some reason.

I'm not a big football fan either, but there is a great sense of unity in magical monents like that Liverpool goal.

Here's another one we can all enjoy...

Yea I get what you're saying alright. I can appreciate any sport when you can see real genius. That famous goal of George Best where he goes by pretty much the whole other team springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

:rolleyes:

****ing dialup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Barneysplash you have made my night big time ( I bet you get told that all the time...;)) Yay Dirty Dancing rocks. By the way I'VE HAVE THE TIME OF MY LIFE, AND I'VE NEVER FELT THIS WAY BEFORE, IT'S SO TRUE........

Wibbs to be honest its a bit f*cking scary how spot on you are. Im not sure if I ever want to meet you at a boardsie night out, you could prob read all of our minds just by looking at us!! Seriously though keep up the very excellent advice.

SheRa wrote: »
    Barneysplash you have made my night big time ( I bet you get told that all the time...;)) Yay Dirty Dancing rocks. By the way I'VE HAVE THE TIME OF MY LIFE, AND I'VE NEVER FELT THIS WAY BEFORE, IT'S SO TRUE........
    That's just scary that is......
    Wibbs to be honest its a bit f*cking scary how spot on you are. Im not sure if I ever want to meet you at a boardsie night out, you could prob read all of our minds just by looking at us!! Seriously though keep up the very excellent advice.
    I'm reading your mind right now..... I have to as mine is such a short read and gets boring, plotwise 30 seconds in.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Wow...this has got to be the most pointless thread I have ever seen.

I mean, come on..........this thread can go on until judgement day and men will still not be able to understand how women "work". We never have & we never will.

We are, in general, stupid creatures with very simple needs - whereas women are amazingly beautiful and complex creations of the cosmos.

That's the way it has been since women evoled from primitive apes and left us behind :D and to be honest it's the way I like it and the way it should remain.

Big shout out to the women....without whom we would spend far too much time in sheds inventing/building things and less time enjoying other persuits of happiness.

Yes, women are complex creatures. That's why this picture:

Complexsystemdesigndiagram.jpg

Is much more important to women than this one: :)

CKbodybrief.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

drool :eek:

• Advertisement

SW81 wrote: »
    drool :eek:

Yes that is a very interesting circut schematic, isn't it? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

very! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

ooooh I like!:Dhehe

Advertisement