Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Maps

Options
  • 09-01-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for old maps of Dublin, well actually just want to see something on them. If anyone has any maps of Dublin (I need maps which include around Donore Ave/South Road Circular) if you could reply here, maybe you could scan a picture of it and e-mail it.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

How old is "old"?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not to sure to be honest. I'm looking for maps from at later than 1900 I think.:confused: I'm looking for something in particular. A castle on Donore Ave, called Donore Castle, it was bulit on or around the River Poodle, which follows into the Grand Canal. Think it was Henry VII that bulit it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Drop into the Gilbert Library - upstairs in Pearse Street library - you'll never want to leave - all sorts of lovely Dublin books and maps.
    Ring them first and they'll get what you want out.

Cheers spurious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think you need John Speeds 1610 map series. I think the Gilbert has copies. I never heard of a castle that close to the poddle in that area... give an update when you find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your search - "Donore avenue" +"Donore Castle" -meath -westmeath - did not match any documents.

I suspect there are at best ruins at the White Swan Business Centre.

It is indicated here with no precise location: http://www.dublincity.ie/shaping_the_city/future_planning/development_plan/Maps/mapeset.pdf
    http://www.dublincity.ie/shaping_the_city/future_planning/development_plan/VOLUME%203.pdf

You could ask in the library in Pearse Street, where they have a map section.

The Poddle doesn't quite flow into (or follow) the Canal. It starts in Fettercairn in Tallaght flows to Tymon and Kimmage, goes undergound and comes out into the Liffey at Temple Bar. It was at one time connected to the city basis near the Guiness Brewery.

Victor wrote: »
    Your search - "Donore avenue" +"Donore Castle" -meath -westmeath - did not match any documents.

I suspect there are at best ruins at the White Swan Business Centre.

It is indicated here with no precise location: http://www.dublincity.ie/shaping_the_city/future_planning/development_plan/Maps/mapeset.pdf
    http://www.dublincity.ie/shaping_the_city/future_planning/development_plan/VOLUME%203.pdf

You could ask in the library in Pearse Street, where they have a map section.

The Poddle doesn't quite flow into (or follow) the Canal. It starts in Fettercairn in Tallaght flows to Tymon and Kimmage, goes undergound and comes out into the Liffey at Temple Bar. It was at one time connected to the city basis near the Guiness Brewery.

Its definitely the Poddle maybe it doesn't flow into the Canal though. There are some ruins on the site of the White Swan Business Centre. I'm not actually sure if it was an actual castle I've been told it was more a fortified house.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Apologies for hijacking the thread Gavin but does anyone know if any mapmakers publish detailed modern maps of the city centre anymore. (I'm not talking about the standard OS Street Guide types).

I have an excellent very detailed city centre map which was published by ERA MAPTEC Ltd. in the early 1990s but is no longer available. It gives the names of most of the commercial premises in the city centre. It's particularly interesting now as many do not exist anymore.

EDIT: the price is still on it £6.06 (in Easons) - quite expensive for the time!

Apologies for hijacking the thread Gavin but does anyone know if any mapmakers publish detailed modern maps of the city centre anymore. (I'm not talking about the standard OS Street Guide types).
    I think it is the same guys who do Mapteg / Location agent used on www.dto.ie and www.myhome.ie Not sure if there is a paper version.

Best ever was a Japanese map that my sister had that even showed bus stops. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I have a modern map of the whole city of Vienna that shows exactly where bus stops, tram stops, etc. are, and it also gives which way the numbers of houses/buildings go on a street, restarting at each junction, so you always know which part of the street you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Looking for old maps of Dublin, well actually just want to see something on them. If anyone has any maps of Dublin (I need maps which include around Donore Ave/South Road Circular) if you could reply here, maybe you could scan a picture of it and e-mail it.:D

Take a visit to the National Archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

The Ordnance Survey Ireland have a collection of old maps of Dublin (and elsewhere I presume).

I bought one of Dublin's northside dating from circa 1930's. Its very interseting to see the changes.
    Its A1 size and cost about €60.

If you go into the Phoenix Park offices thay have a map shop area where you can view on computer different map types. Pick an area and they'll print it off for you there and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Actioncomet

I have been trying to locate the same castles position.
    I saw it indicated on a map drawn prior to the Grand Canal being built. In a book by Maurice Curtis about Harold's Cross.
    It seems to be somewhere north of the house that is being let fall down at the rear of Hire Here on the South Circular Road and around the top of the Tenters around Gilbert Road maybe

But then again I may be wrong, others also seem to think it is on the White Swan site too

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Dublin&id=13009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

http://osi.ie have historical maps online, or you can order them too afaik. Best place to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Found this a few years ago. Mightn't answer the OP's query but it's a great selection of old maps.

http://roots.swilson.info/maps.php

I have been trying to locate the same castles position.

Any particular reason?

Cheers Victor.
    ollaetta wrote: »
    Found this a few years ago. Mightn't answer the OP's query but it's a great selection of old maps.

http://roots.swilson.info/maps.php

Some excellent maps on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

interesting old map on the wall in the foyer of the carmelite church in aungier street.....

1600's i believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

You beat me to it - I just found it on OSI too!

Having seen the first page of this thread, I was going to post the link...
    ...but thought it might be a good idea to check this page!

Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

I have an excellent very detailed city centre map which was published by ERA MAPTEC Ltd. in the early 1990s but is no longer available. It gives the names of most of the commercial premises in the city centre. It's particularly interesting now as many do not exist anymore.

EDIT: the price is still on it £6.06 (in Easons) - quite expensive for the time!

How does this compare?
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.34857&lon=-6.26027&zoom=17&layers=M

I have been working on several maps of Dublin and believe the position of Donore Castle, this was also known as Roper's Rest. to have been close to the junctions of Dufferin Avenue and Wolsley Street.

The link in the above post by tawnyowl is useful to see the course of the Poddle.

The Poddle river goes under Dufferin Avenue at the South Circular Road end and through The White Swan Laundry / Business Complex where it powered a mill, this is the building that still stands in the yard. The river can be seen if you turn right inside the gate of the White Swan Complex cross the tarmac and it is at the far side of that yard. It runs under Donore Avenue and the St. Catherines School and behind the Catholic church as a small open narrow river

It would appear from a story in Thomas Crofton Croker of London 1828 that a clergyman from the nearby St. Catherines Church (Probably Thomas Street) hung himself from the window of the castle. This is why it became known as Ropers Rest which may be found on various maps of Dublin.

Reference DUBLIN A New Illustrated history by John Gibney ISBN 978 1 84889 330 6 (2017)

pages 175 for text paragraph and 176 William Duncan 1821 map of south west central Dublin

Ok Go to the osi public viewer, The link is a few posts up .... I'm not old enough to put links in my posts..

maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,714523,732721,11,7

If you zoom in it goes to different maps, zoom in until it tells you map not available at this scale, then zoom out a click,

On the right hand side is a Slider with Overlay Off. Slide it back and forth and it will show the new map over the old, bloody brilliant and there are a half dozen maps in the menu on the right hand side.

I may be gone for some time !

Great info Actioncomet!

and the more I look at the osi mapviewer the more I think you have been right in your first post . The square tower in the White Swan seems to have been mentioned as (Site of Donore Castle) on several maps, right on the edge of the river would make sense for washing and disposal straight into the river was normal in those times.

The Poddle was used over in the Hospice grounds and Greenmount Industrial estate to feed assorted mill ponds over the years. The ESB buildings are built on the "Mill pond" site. I get the impression it goes under the petrol station forecourt on Parnell Road and underneath the canal and the National Stadium, S.C.Rd. The apartments opposite Hertz Car Hire, Dufferin Ave and under White Swan Business park where it can be seen just inside the wall on the Donore Avenue side, then under the yard of Catherine's School etc...

I can't get dates for the maps on the Osi Mapviewer. But you can shift from map to map in the column on the right hand side which is wonderful to track the building progress throughout Dublin.

I worked for a few days in the Osi building in the Phoenix park, many of the maps are on stone slabs which are moved onto the printing press with a forklift and then inked and a single print taken manually.

Many thanks to Victor and all the other contributors in this thread, The Osi link is great, takes a while to figure out all the functions right click does things too.

I can't get dates for the maps on the Osi Mapviewer. But you can shift from map to map in the column on the right hand side which is wonderful to track the building progress throughout Dublin.

The Historic 6 Inch date from about 1845. The Historic 25 Inch date from about 1905. As the whole country couldn't be mapped in one year, the date will vary from place to place.

Thanks Victor,

Do you know of any available maps of Dublin pre the building of Grand Canal and Royal Canal ie. 1750 to 1780 or earlier.

By the way St Luke's Church, Cork Street, The Customs House and Cuffe Street Flats are among the few buildings in Dublin that are close to being on the East west axis.

One of the worst off target ones is the Wellington Monument in the Phoenix Park and they had the nerve to mark its sides as being North, South, East and West.

Do you know of any available maps of Dublin pre the building of Grand Canal and Royal Canal ie. 1750 to 1780 or earlier.

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b530637730
    http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b53057253b
    http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b5967586q
    By the way St Luke's Church, Cork Street, The Customs House and Cuffe Street Flats are among the few buildings in Dublin that are close to being on the East west axis.
    Buildings tend to be built to make the best use of their site, not to fit perfectly to North, South, East and West.
    One of the worst off target ones is the Wellington Monument in the Phoenix Park and they had the nerve to mark its sides as being North, South, East and West.
    But is does have North, South, East and West sides - I don't think it is making any claim that they are perfectly aligned with anything. The only such characteristics I'm aware of for the Wellington Monument is that it lines up with a section of North Circular Road and that it is on natural high ground to increase its prominence.

Thanks Victor,

The quality of these maps is fantastic, I presume a lot of Dublin maps and documents were lost in the Customs House fire 25 5 21

I thought Protestant churches observed the placing of the altar at particular end if possible, with a preference for the East end of the building, possibly something to do with sunrise but I'm not quite sure what the reason was..

Thanks again for the speed and accuracy of your responses, I have been looking at that Roper's Rest thing for a good few years. I hope to visit the site in the near future.

for those of you on the Roper's Rest quest, got some what seems to be reliable information.

Sir Thomas Roper created 1st Viscount of Baltinglass in 1627 also Knighted at Christchurch Cathedral Dublin 16th September 1603

He built a spectacular tomb for the Roper family in 1634 in St. John's Church (Demolished c. 1804) Fishamble Street, at the upper corner, highest point of Dublin Corporation Wood Quay Site just across the pedestrian lane North of Christ Church Cathedral.

He died (By suicide / hanging) at Roper's Rest, AKA Donore Castle Dublin 18th Feb 1638.

Details gleaned from HumphrysFamily Tree.com Thank you very much

• Advertisement
Advertisement