Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steering Wheel

• 09-01-2008 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi, hope I'm in the right place, apologies if I'm not.

I bought a Thrustmaster Universal Challenge steering wheel and pedals in a Game shop. I don't know much about these things, but I need to set a 'combined' z-axis for the pedals, and the Control Panel on my pc doesn't seem to let me configure this. I'm using Windows XP.

Anyone know how to do this, in plain English, for a newbie???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You could try the thustmaster drivers, even if they are not for XP they may allow you to do what you need. No sure why you would combine the axes tho....

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Combing the axis is useful for flight sims, using the pedals as rudder pedals.

Still not sure why you'd bother tho, unless the wheel was lying about. Its messy at best for elevator control, yea you can trim it, but TBH id be getting a 25e joystick first!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaCorkGeezer

Given that it's a wheel I suppose he wants to combine it in order to brake and accelerate at the same time=3-axis wheel. Very handy.

HydeRoad: Check Thrustmaster's website and see if it is a 2- or a 3-axis wheel. If it's a 2-axis, you'll have to let go of the acceleration when you want to brake first. Not great :-/

Given that it's a wheel I suppose he wants to combine it in order to brake and accelerate at the same time=3-axis wheel. Very handy.

HydeRoad: Check Thrustmaster's website and see if it is a 2- or a 3-axis wheel. If it's a 2-axis, you'll have to let go of the acceleration when you want to brake first. Not great :-/

:confused:

You SEPARATE the axes if you want to brake and accelerate at the same time.

Otherwise you wont be applying power and braking at the same time, youll just be conteracting one action with an equal but opposite movement in the on the most effective control. At best you will reach a point where one pedal takes over, but NEVER both inputs at once.

Full throttle + quarter brake with combined axis= three quarter throttle. Same pedal setup with sepatate axis = full throttle + one quarter brake, especially handy in RBR :)

If you brake with your left foot, and the wheel will do it, you should always use separate pedal axis'.

:confused:

You SEPARATE the axes if you want to brake and accelerate at the same time.

Yes, separate the axes, sorry. Only some olders wheels/drivers won't allow you to do that. => Sidewinder Racing Wheel is a 2-axis only, combined pedals wheel. And it's not an in-game setting. From my own experience, full throttle + brake = full throttle. That also happens when calibrating the wheel in-game (TOCA2 Race Driver).

Anyway HydeRoad, install the latest drivers and see if you can now combine the pedals. With Thrustmaster wheels you can usually do that form a button on the wheel itself, or with the software.

God, now I'll have to get back to RBR :D

• Advertisement

haha, I thought just got your words mixed up alright.

Maybe the gameport sidewinder doesnt support separate axis, but the usb does, you just need to install the sidewinder drivers. They havent been updated in a long time (read win98) but they work fine with 2k and XP, havnt tried vista. But ive had a sidewinder for about three years now using separeate axis.

Odd that your seeing full throttle+brake = full throttle tho.

Anyway, must dust off the sidewinder and download the new LFS patch, must be three months since ive played sims.

[wandering off-thread]
    The Sidewinder is my dad's actually, I have the Thrustmaster RGT Forcefreedback Pro ;)

The Sidewinder range was excellent. Why Microsoft discontinued it and never officially supported it for NT is beyond me :(

[wandering off-thread]
    The Sidewinder is my dad's actually, I have the Thrustmaster RGT Forcefreedback Pro ;)

The Sidewinder range was excellent. Why Microsoft discontinued it and never officially supported it for NT is beyond me :(

Yea, I paid 50e for mine three years ago. Covered about 13K miles on LFS. The rubber is hanging off it, but for the price I dont think you could beat it.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Powered up the sidewinder for the first time in three months yesterday and its dead. Logic board no worky.

G25 is already ordered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sorinrom

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Hi, hope I'm in the right place, apologies if I'm not.

I bought a Thrustmaster Universal Challenge steering wheel and pedals in a Game shop. I don't know much about these things, but I need to set a 'combined' z-axis for the pedals, and the Control Panel on my pc doesn't seem to let me configure this. I'm using Windows XP.

Anyone know how to do this, in plain English, for a newbie???

Have you got by chance any reply ? I experience the same problem. Thank you, Steve

• Advertisement
Advertisement