Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complimentary notes

Options
  • 09-01-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

I tried my best to look through the theory sticky but my head is about to explode with jargon and terms I can't quite grasp.

Is there a guide etc for what notes compliment each other or can someone point me in the direction of a nice simple theory guide that might tell me such a thing without going into a hundred differant scales etc?

I think that fifth wheel in the first theory post may be what I'm after. I'm just trying to move away from playing by ear and be able to have a conversation with guitarists without saying "I dunno, it just sounds good".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I know youre trying to stay away from musical theory, but
    'Notes that compliment each other' pretty much IS musical theory.

Musical theory is an idiots guide for the 99.99% of us who don't have genius-level musical ears and minds.

You dont need to jump straight into the deep-end. Most guitarists start with the pentatonics, and plenty do quite well with nothing more. (Though more advanced stuff is there if you want to piece it together bit by bit).

Im not sure that's the answer you're looking for...There are 'systems' that try to make it easier (CAGED etc), but at the end of the day, you're still going to have to bite the bullet and do a bit of swotting up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

try here: if ya dont wanna read it just look at the pics ;)
    http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/One_on_one_pentatonic_scale1.htm
    i know the site looks like its about to ask for your credit card details but it doesnt! :p

then once ya have the idea, this little fella will come in handy!>
    http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ah yeah, I know I'll have to do some learning, I've just seen people spend hours writing out various scales and busting out some maths on the situation, and it's really not my thing.
    I had a chat with a mate about it there and yeah, I guess various notes compliment various other notes depending on a lot of things, a load of variables, so I guess I'll just go back to solidifying the basics and work from there.

Thanks for the sites lads, I'll have an aul looksie and get my learn on.

down with theory i say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Ah yeah, I know I'll have to do some learning, I've just seen people spend hours writing out various scales and busting out some maths on the situation, and it's really not my thing.
    I had a chat with a mate about it there and yeah, I guess various notes compliment various other notes depending on a lot of things, a load of variables, so I guess I'll just go back to solidifying the basics and work from there.

Thanks for the sites lads, I'll have an aul looksie and get my learn on.

If you play rock/blues, start by learning the minor pentatonic scale. It's very simple, there's not much too it, and you can get away with just using that scale if you want. If you want to play metal or jazz, you'll have to learn a whole lot more, but the minor pentatonic is a good place to start.

Edit; The first pentatonic box in King-stew's guitarmasterclass link above will do fine.

• Advertisement

AKA the bluffers guide to guitar! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

king-stew wrote: »
    AKA the bluffers guide to guitar! :D;)

It didn't do BB King any harm :eek:

Advertisement