Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thermometer

Options
  • 09-01-2008 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Any know when I can get a thermometer for making good cups of green tea. Got one online a while ago but it didn’t last long with a granite worktop.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I haven't used on for tea making, I'm sure one of these would
    do the job (even if they're designed for measuring milk temperature when
    frothing).

http://www.ristrettocoffee.com/shop/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38

They're about £10 or €15 and available in most stores where you'll find
    coffee machines (I know I spotted them in Home Store + More recently)
    or online.

Check the threads at the top of the forum for a list of both online and
    bricks and mortar stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

cheers Gran, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The milk ones are slow to react, most baristas go only by feel. If you make up to a certain amount each time you can judge it yourself. If you want 80C. then boil say 500ml, add 3 "units" of cold water (eggcup, shotglass etc) and see what temp it is, keep adding until cold enough. Now in future you can just remember how much do add.

I had the same experience with my jam thermometer! I bought a new one in Cork in Brennans Kitchen shop. It should be placed on a wood/cork board to cool as I found out!!!
    siochain wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Any know when I can get a thermometer for making good cups of green tea. Got one online a while ago but it didn’t last long with a granite worktop.
    Thanks

Advertisement