Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

emancipation of minors?

• 09-01-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

what are the emancipation laws here? i need a bit of advice on it. thanks ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

There aren't any,

turn 18 you're an adult (age of majority act 1985), unlesss you marry in which case you're an adult on the day you marry.

that's it, no way for some one under that age to apply to be emancipated except by marriage

although a person under 18 can consent to medical and dental treatment if above the age of 16 (non fatal offences against the person act 1997) or marry if a judge of the circuit court or high court grants a waiver (Family Law Act 1995).

The age for joining the defence forces is 17 years

with regards contracts, they are enforceable against minors if for a necessity.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

I read this and was unfamiliar with the expression in the context of Irish law. I assumed that the OP meant some sort of Ward of Court Processes or indeed power of attorney issue.

I remain blissfully ignorant.

Of course the usual jokes about the Catholic emacipation and coal minors were on the tip of the keyboard, but I thought I'd save the corny jokes for some other forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

It's a procedure available in some U.S. states for a person 16 or 17 to legally become an adult

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Ah ha, yes. I remember something in the 1982 Family Law (Marriages) Act about consent to marry.

I guess a loony poster might ask can Irish children divorce their parents? (Rhetorical)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gabhain7 wrote: »
    The age for joining the defence forces is 17 years
    This also requires parental or spousal consent.

I suspect its rare for someone to get married before 18 and join the defence forces with the permission of their other half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement