Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoke alarms on walls, not ceilings

Options
  • 09-01-2008 9:18pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The smoke alarms in my flat are on the ceilings, as most seem to be. However, with the ceilings being so high, it's a huge task to check them or change the batteries. I've bought new ones that I plan to put on the walls, maybe 7 feet up. Are they still as effective on the walls? Is there any problems with putting them there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

better on the roof.
    Smoke will fill a room from the top down, the extra seconds gained could be vital.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Smoke alarms on a wall is a big no-no. Smoke travels up into the cup shape which senses the smoke afaik. In order for this to happen with a wall fitted smoke alarm the smoke build up would have to be quite heavy. It really isn't worth the risk for the inconvenience to check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Check them with a brush handle. Get landlord to change the batteries, I think its his responsibility to do this once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

you need to keep these on the ceiling im afraid.

buy a step ladder, every house should have one , or two, or three ( i need to stop buying tem) :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

2 stroke wrote: »
    Check them with a brush handle. Get landlord to change the batteries, I think its his responsibility to do this once a year.

I am the landlord!
    oleras wrote: »
    you need to keep these on the ceiling im afraid.

buy a step ladder, every house should have one , or two, or three ( i need to stop buying tem) :D

I have a step ladder but A) the ceilings are 10/11 ft high, B) I'm 5'5 and C) the highest step ladder I could get only goes to about 4 or 5 feet. Seeing as I can't stand on the top step, it still requires me stretching my arm up as far as possible - and I'm really scared on heights! Still, I guess I'll just have to live with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

spadder wrote: »
    better on the roof.
    Smoke will fill a room from the top down, the extra seconds gained could be vital.

^^^ correct. The batteries in your smoke alarms have a very long life, so changing them shouldn't be something you need to worry about too much. Surely you can use a broom handle to hit the test button every night, and there's also a flashing LED that indicates that the batteries are still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

They can be wall-mounted no problem, but need to be between 150mm and 300mm below the ceiling.

So this will not really help you since even if it was on the wall, it is only a foot below the ceiling, still pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Get mains powered ones which are linked together, as required in new builds, much safer.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement