Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LaTex for boards.ie?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Over on Math Help Fourm and The Student Room they use LaTex for mathematical and scientific writing could boards do the same?

LayTex website

Test it out HERE your self.

ineqchain.gif
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

eamoss wrote: »
    Over on Math Help Fourm and The Student Room they use LaTex for mathematical and scientific writing could boards do the same?

LayTex website

Test it out HERE your self.

ineqchain.gif

Is that stuff free for every one?

How would it be used on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Would it be easy to implement it? LaTex is the dog's for equation writing. Although took me for ages to learn how to use it to write documents.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I thought this was going to be about contraception :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh nice, gimme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

It would be very handy if it were possible.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Doesn't work so well for the cloud skin unfortunately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Then use a good skin, like white.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Faith wrote: »

I was imagining gimp suits. This is feedback after all.

But how would this be used in boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Faith wrote: »
    I feel your sorrow. I thought it was about kinky sex :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Would it be easy to implement it? LaTex is the dog's for equation writing. Although took me for ages to learn how to use it to write documents.

How hard is it to learn?

If its gona be complicated to use on boards (and else were) how many people will use it?

The people that need to useit, handy for math fora etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Then use a good skin, like white.
    Racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote: »

Thats why I was asking. Doing a masters at the moment so could be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Dr. Billy Connolly on algebra...

"Why should I learn algebra, I have no intention of ever going there...."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

kearnsr wrote: »
    Thats why I was asking. Doing a masters at the moment so could be handy

If you want to write your thesis in it, then you would need a week to learn it (it's the add-ins that make it complicated). It would then involve learning-on-the-fly for the next few weeks after that.

TBH I did a PhD in finance and even though it was very mathematical, Microsoft Equation was enough. Although the final document didn't look as good as LaTex document.

If you are getting into it, then MikTex is a good overall LaTex package

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kearnsr wrote: »
    How hard is it to learn?

If its gona be complicated to use on boards (and else were) how many people will use it?

The most basic parts are just tags like HTML, though a fair degree of complexity is also available. It's definitely worth it though, and I'm very glad I used it in my final year project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used LaTex when writing my PhD thesis in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. I wouldn't have touched Word or any Microsoft product with a bargepole. It creates really nice equations with complete control over the formatting and labelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I'd love to see LaTeX implemented on boards, it would be very handy for the science section.
    I'm learning it at the moment. It takes about an hour to get going properly but for simple stuff it's fairly easy.
    I wrote my BSc thesis in microsoft word, but there weren't too many equations in it. My Master's thesis is likely to be a different story, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ecksor would install this in a heartbeat. Might be a better idea to start a thread on the helpdesk forum to get his attention.

Advertisement