Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10K training advice for novice? in Galway

• 09-01-2008 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a 10K in April, I'm not a big fan of jogging mainly because I'm not much good at it (I get tired and legs tire after about 20mins, probably technique). How can I improve my performance and also make the jogging/running experience more enjoyable?

I do play alot of sports, kiclboxing, surfing, soccer, some jogging but have been injured for the past 2 months.

What can I do over the next 3 months to get myself in shape to do a good run (not jog) in the 10K in April?

P.S. I'm in Galway city so if anyone has any routes to recommend (preparation for 10K) please let me know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭brutes

Try 3 laps of NUI Galway sports complex in Dangan, follow all the pitches around is 2 miles for lap - and I mean all the pitches!...give it a week or so to dry out tho- best off road route in the city, this will give your body a break from roads, and give you chance to run continuously at your own pace with no traffic etc and choose your own pace - you can also build up miles eg do two laps , one lap , or how you feel - ..,

Or for road route have a look at www.mapmyrun.com for Galway routes- Iwould suggest the prom for starters - out and back ened to end is about 2.5-3 miles all in, and extend on your run from there eg up Threadneedle and down Taylors hill and loop back to prom as you get used to miles

Build it up slow, always good to aim to fast finish - eg run the last half mile/mile faster and finish well if you can...thats what i seem to do anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

cool site, there's a few ideas there alright.
    Something like a pitch could be the solution for me to get started for sure, might be easier run with some regular points. Are the UCG pitches are floodlight all evening?

Afraid theres no light past half five, ( well rarely unless theres college training)although some lunatics have been seen past that time still churning out laps in the dark - well worth a run on the weekend though or as it gets longer in evenings - as I said its a good spot to build up miles and confidence and usually others around running to motivate you...

Afraid theres no light past half five, ( well rarely unless theres college training)although some lunatics have been seen past that time still churning out laps in the dark - well worth a run on the weekend though or as it gets longer in evenings - as I said its a good spot to build up miles and confidence and usually others around running to motivate you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Dangan has plenty of people there at lunchtime too, as does the racecourse.

Depending on your current fitness level you could join some of the group training runs with the local clubs. Great for "make the jogging/running experience more enjoyable".

The local club websites:
    www.galwaycityharriers.com - city based
    www.craughwellac.com
    www.athenryac.com

Try the Fit4Life groups if you're running 45min or more for the 10k (sounds like this would be about right). If you're already faster than this try out the regular club running sessions.

The sites also have some training routes outlined, but I agree with brutes on using mapmyrun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

brutes wrote: »
    although some lunatics have been seen past that time still churning out laps in the dark
    And I wonder who those lunatics might be!!

Dunno, fairly odd characters I am assured though Aburke...

Dangan is undoubtedly the best - when its dry - training resource for starter and experienced alike in the city - I would also advise any Galway based novices to try the Racecourse at Ballybrit for training- but not the last week in July:) .. Avoid Cappagh park though unless you dont mind dogs chasing ya around ...Do off road as much as possible is best advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Stick with it mate, you are just about to break through to the good (and addictive) part of running. Most beginners try to take on too much too soon and end up either injured or just hate running.

20mins is a great level to be at now (compared to where you were right?), maybe start factoring in some walk breaks. Run 5mins walk 1.5 mins repeat - and you will find your distance and pace improve in no time.

You have 12 weeks to gear towards the 10k goal - take a good training plan such as hal higdons 10k novice training plan (http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm) which is 8 week total. Use the next 4 weeks as slow base building, not increasing by more than 10% total mileage per week.
    Set yourself up an account at www.runningahead.com and chart your runs so you can view your progress and map you routes also.

It may seem like a bitch to get out in the cold evenings now, but I guarantee you, when the warmer light evenings arrive and your are in peak running condition, you'll feel top form.

Do it! I went from 20a day smoking geezer last Jan 1st to running the 10k phoenix park in 56mins last April.

thanks for the encouragement, I also came across a plan for the 10K here http://www.runrepublic.ie/training/10k.htm.
    i actually work next to the racecourse, might have a look there after work, how to you get into the grounds?

About 2miles every second day seems to be the concensus.

I don't have a problem getting out in the evenings, as long as it's not raining.
    And on that note does anyone know where I can get a rainproof jacket for running? Lifestyle sports told me they don't sell them, might give me a bettter chance of getting out on those damp evenings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

And on that note does anyone know where I can get a rainproof jacket for running? Lifestyle sports told me they don't sell them, might give me a bettter chance of getting out on those damp evenings.

Aldi do great running jackets. Keep an eye out on their web site for the specials that come up. When they do running stuff get there early as every runner in the place is down to stock up on reasonably priced running gear.

The sports shop beside Aldi (lifestyle?) had a massive selection of running gear upstairs this autumn. Some great finds but it was a bit like TK Maxx in that you had to hunt through rails of clothes. Worth it though, some great finds.

• Advertisement

I spotted some stuff on an Aldi flyer before christmas alright but I wasn't on the lookout at the time. I think it's Elvery's next door, I'll have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Lifestyle had several nice bright yellow running jackets on the racks yesterday - both in the shopping centre (nr tesco) and in the retail park (nr woodies). Long sleeve, nike, discounted down to €40 from 60 (I think).

The racecourse can be entered from the Parkmore side just opposite Brooks builder's yard. Or it's possible to get in from the Ballybrit business park side but it's a bit trickier since they put in a fence last year. Go along the slip road from the back of Tom Hogan Motors out to the dual carriageway. Just at the end of the straight stretch go around the double gate. Walk through the trees on your left (bit of a path there) then you'll either be able to go through an open gate on your left, or if it's closed just through the wooden fence. Try this map for the entry points.

The racecourse manager asks all runners to stay off the grass when it's wet and to not run in front of the stand. There's a good tarmac road around most of it and you can go over and back for about 2miles, one lap being just shy of 1.5mls. There's runners there most lunchtimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jack21

Does anyone know of any 10k runs that are happening soon in Dublin??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

have you had a look at the calendar on runireland.com ? they're usually pretty good with everything that's going on.

Advertisement