Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car problems - engine noise and smell!

Options
  • 09-01-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hopefully someone might be able to help.

I've two problems that may or may not be related.

06 Ford Explorer 4.0 XLT

I've been getting a nasty smell from the car over the last week (easy on the smart comments:p) - air out of a 10 year old tire type of smell. Possible fluid leak - maybe the rad -or a skunk has crawled into the engine and died.

Also in the last week or two the engine has started to make a racing noise but it's not over-revving - at least I don't think it is - the car sounds like a massive hair-dryer or a huge fan and tends to happen in lower gears. It's happening more and more frequently.

Any ideas or should I head straight for the garage.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If it smells like rotten eggs then its your cat going. Best bet is to get it to the garage asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Are you hearing the viscous fan?? The fan in my A6 comes on for a few moments when you turn the car on and it's downright noisy. If so, sounds like a cooling system problem/ leak. I know what you mean by that 'tyre' smell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

if it smells like eggs it doesnt really mean the cat is nackered paticularly on an 06 car but could just need a good run in, get it on a motorway and let it rev up and the cat will be fine. other than that its hard to diagnose exactly what the fault could be.,

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

No - are you talking about a catalytic converter smell - it's not that. Much worse. If you've ever had a dog with dodgy anal glands it's that same smell - crazy but true - I've great olfactory senses on me.

I was kind of thinking cooling system myself. Maybe some fluid has leaked and now its knackered. I'm still just under warranty so hopefully whatever it is will be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

For the record - kudos to cantdecide for his diagnosis based on my limited and largely smell related set of facts.

Faulty rad was leaking coolant and is being replaced tomorrow morning which should resolve all the problems!

Thanks boards for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sounds like clutch slippage to me, which could also account for the smell.

However, judging by the model and your location I guess you have an automatic transmission, which would make my diagnosis incorrect.

Advertisement