Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed!!!!!!

Options
  • 09-01-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

hey, im in 6th year now, about to fill out my CAO and im wondering could any of you lads or lassies inform me about the mechanical engineering course there!!?

i missed the open day as i only found out about it after it took place!!:(

any sorta info about the place would be great (thinks its bolton street im looking at for mech engineering!) like facilities there an the mechanical engineering course!

cheers, Mark

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i'm in my final year of that course.

i enjoyed it. the course is better for a student entering it now than it was 4 years ago when i did.

gives you a good grounding in all the things prospective employers are looking for.

fairly long on hours. i'd say a 35 hour week on average over the 4 years.

lots of the subjects have a lot of maths in them (fluid mechanics, mechanics of machines ect). not difficult if you have decent maths but have your calculator ready!

project work is quite good and the lecturers are sound out for the most part.

if you attend you will do well.

facilites arent fantastic but adequate. bolton street is a good laugh too.

this course was recemmended to me over courses in other colleges. obviously, i cant comment on what the other colleges are like but i;m very happy having nearly completed the course and have good career prospects already.

hope this helps you out. pm me for more info if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Liadan Barry

Im in Year one of the Ordinary Degree, The drop out rate isnt as high as I thought it was going to be, but I didn't find that it was what it was going to be. Im seeing out the year for comittment sake but next year Im hoping to do welding instead. it's a good first year even if you dont keep the three years (or five if you switch to the higher course afterwards). The lecturers are pretty nice mostly. The main thing is to go to at least half of the lectures for each thing and ALL of your Drawing classes. Most of the rest you can make up but once you get behind in drawing, it's extreemly hard to make it up. it goes so fast after the first few weeks. Alot of it is Theory I found, and the maths at the start is like Leaving cert ordinary maths all over again but in a bit more detail. it's an easy enough course if you do the work on time and steady. dont try leave all the projects for the week before their due cos the lecturer's dump you with a LOAD of work and it gets too much. Most of the people on the course liked it even if they didn't stay cos you elarn alot of interesting things that you can use elsewhere if you do summat else. Welding, Physics, Computers (kinda like ECDL but more user friendly), general fixing things...hope that makes a bit of sense...? unless you wanted course content...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

ordinary degree course is much different to honours course.

we dont do welding and do less drawing but concentrate more on theory, maths and stuff like that.

the honours programme would have a higher drop out rate as its considered a difficult course. most people have to attend EVERY lecture (30+ hours a week) and still alot struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doogle deegan

I am in year one of the level 7 course and love it. I had the option of doing the honours or the pass course and i chose to do the pass and then, hopefully to transfer into the honors course after 3rd year. I know alot of poeple who have come through mech eng both in the honors course and through then pass course and then onto the honors. The people who started off on the pass course all seemed to do better then those who did the honours course straight off.

Basically its really easy to get a distinction, i attended all the lectures and labs, put in a few hours study and came out with good results. I find the course really easy with some good challenges along the way.

Advertisement