Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No more yellow headlights in France ?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Am clearly well behind the times, but in France lately after a long interlude and noticed that only the occasional old car had its yellow headlamps. When did they change and why? What was the point of them anyway (apart from french idiosyncrasy)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

I'd say it has something to do with eu harmonisation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yellow lights are no longer compulsory in France. They are still legal though and they are to be seen every day on older cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Sandwich wrote: »
    Am clearly well behind the times, but in France lately after a long interlude and noticed that only the occasional old car had its yellow headlamps. When did they change and why? What was the point of them anyway (apart from french idiosyncrasy)?

Don't try to be smart by insulting the French.

Don't forget who has been selling silver to the English to make bullets from its mine next to Galway: An Irish man. Made lots of money, exploiting other Irish men, and at the end of the day, English were using those bullets against Irish people.
    And don't forget who brought food to your grand grand parents because they English cut all means of communications.
    Without the French, you might not have been here to tell your BS on this forum today.

France, and other EU countries, more than 15 years ago decided to put an end to yellow headlights and since new cars has been delivered with white headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mick.fr wrote: »
    He didn't. Calling the French 'idiosyncratic' isn't insulting them, it's just an observation, and after that irrelevant little rant, quite an appropriate one, I'd say.

The original purpose was for use as fog lights. Prudent enough in the days before smokeless fuels etc.

Why don't you question why Volvos have lights on permanently? There's an equally good answer to that one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hagar wrote: »

Why don't you question why Volvos have lights on permanently? There's an equally good answer to that one too.

Because Sweden is a very dark country?

Alun wrote: »
    He didn't. Calling the French 'idiosyncratic' isn't insulting them, it's just an observation, and after that irrelevant little rant, quite an appropriate one, I'd say.

Yeah yeah Irish. Talk to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah yeah Irish. Talk to me.
    Sorry, I can't be arsed talking to you. Anyway, I'm not Irish, so that kind of fell a bit flat didn't it ;)

Alun wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't be arsed talking to you. Anyway, I'm not Irish, so that particular little 'joke' fell a bit flat didn't it ;)

Yeah nobody's perfect. Do you want a cookie now or later on?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

And don't forget who brought food to your grand grand parents because they English cut all means of communications.
    Without the French, you might not have been here to tell your BS on this forum today.

WTF is all this about? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

If it weren't for a few hundred thousand Irish in WW1 and WW2 you'd be speaking German and your user would be mick.de :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Don't forget who has been selling silver to the English to make bullets from its mine next to Galway: An Irish man. Made lots of money, exploiting other Irish men, and at the end of the day, English were using those bullets against Irish people.

I thought that silver bullets were only used to get rid of the werewolves:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A rude Frenchman? Well I never

Stekelly wrote: »
    Because Sweden is a very dark country?
    The Swedes have a very short twilight, darkness falls quickly, therefore the need for lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lol, mick.fr goes off the wall after someone posts that the French are a little off the wall. Well done sir.

In other news, I always thought the yellow beams were less harsh when you have one shone in your face by the usual thicko with fog lights on when there's no fog, than the average cap wairing skanger with his halon beams microwaving everything in his path.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Girls - get back to talking about yellow lights please - no more bitching or there will be tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kbannon wrote: »
    Girls - get back to talking about yellow lights please - no more bitching or there will be tears!

Never had you pegged for a crier kbannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Stekelly wrote: »
    Never had you pegged for a crier kbannon.

It wouldn't be his tears. Or mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ok, are these yellow lights legal over here???? I read in a ten year old driving instruction book, thats the one with the Citroen BX on the cover , that they are....?

Passed a car with them tonight. First one I've seen in a good whole. I think they are more motorist friendly than those xenon laser beams that blind you for a couple of minutes when the pass. I might just go shopping for a set of yellow bulbs myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Hagar wrote: »
    I might just go shopping for a set of yellow bulbs myself.

Ask Mick.fr and he might throw some in the back of his 2CV on the next whine run....er....wine run to France.

I was driving a good bit in France earlier this year and have to say I didn't really notice many cars with those yellow lights, although I remember them only too well. One of my uncles had a Citroen dealership in Wexford in the late 80's and was always going on about the super yellow fog lamps he was fitting on every BX he got out the door

Later surrender monkeys :D

Gil

Advertisement