Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the name

Options
  • 09-01-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hi just want to know how many of the girls here will take their husbands name when they get married.

Any comments welcome....

Will you take your husbands name 87 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    58%
    ChinafoottuxymisswexShamroguemilliPythiaCathyMoranaviendhaOryxNightwishyoucancallmealcharbaxzantibraganquickstitch.ieKatykaboomAardBoozyBabezemphis[Deleted User] 51 votes
    Double Barrell
    41%
    the_sycoStargalb3t4simurainbow kirbymonkeyfudgeEppierain onPurpleFistMixerPistepanda100jezzabeanybroberta czenzenbluedolphinspuriousdaiixiLux23[Deleted User] 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Double Barrell
    I can't imagine I will, but then again you never know how you'll feel when the thing actually happens. If he has a really cool surname I might. The current fella doesn't have a hope :D

What happens if you want to take his name and yours is already double-barrelled? My ex's sister just got engaged and she was given both her parents' surnames.. does she drop one and replace it with her husband's, or drop them both? I spose I'll find out soon enough anyway. Though I do like the idea of her having three surnames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

No
    Yes i'd take it. Have never liked my surname - spent teen age years have the p*ss take out of me over it. So i'd defo take the other halves, unless it was worse :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

No
    Yep I'd take it, mine is ridiculously common heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Double Barrell
    I said no, but I think I'd take it for personal things like signing Christmas cards and family matters and whatever. But I'd definitely retain my own name on a professional level and on bank accounts, etc. It could end up being very confusing though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

Hell to the no. My boyfriend's name is awful. Mine is nothing special, but it's rare enough so I'd like to keep it going :)

• Advertisement

Double Barrell
    I'd keep mine and the children get mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No
    Yep I'd take it, mine is ridiculously common heh.

Same for me :)

I would take his name also for a historical and geneological point of view as the bloodline can only be traced through the Male chromosome or something like that. So to me it makes more sense for the woman to take the mans name. I wouldn't expect him to take mine and double barrelled are horrible things altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

No
    Definately. Sure what's the reason for not doing it? If I decide to spend the rest of my life with someone, I'll share the surname too. *dreams of being Mrs. McLoughlin*

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

WindSock wrote: »
    double barrelled are horrible things altogether.

The only women I know who have double-barrelled surnames are so far up their own arses it's frightening. Admittedly all three were like that before they got married and thankfully I don't know any of them that well, but I would have put money on any of them going double-barrelled after they were married. It just seems to be something that only a certain type of stuck up, pretentious woman does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

No
    Yeah it just to show that you have come from a well to do family, really. So people will know once you have been married.

• Advertisement

Double Barrell
    zaph wrote: »
    It just seems to be something that only a certain type of stuck up, pretentious woman does.

I have many very ordinary, unassuming friends who go double barrel.
    Some married older and were much attached to their identity, some just have have double barrels that sound nice and others have children from previous realtionships with their own name.

In Brazil your given a double barrel and then you choose the one you like when you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My daughter has her Daddy's surname, because we will more than likely get married someday and once a name is registered, it can't be changed. I'd take his surname too - it goes with my first name just as well as my own surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

No
    i wouldnt have antyhing against taking a man's name if i married him (unless it really was frightful), but particualrly now, given my man can't pronounce my surnmae properly (bleedin kiwi accent), i'd definitely take his.

WindSock wrote:
    Yeah it just to show that you have come from a well to do family, really. So people will know once you have been married.

I don't think it's even that. Of the three, one is genuinely from a well-to-do family, her father owns one of the best known car dealerships in Dublin and is seriously loaded. The other two are more "aspirational", to put it as kindly as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

hey, sorry to butt in ladies..

As a guy when i was younger i was of the opinion that it was inportant to take the mans name.. bla bla..

Personally now i couldnt care less, my ex, made a good point in that in certain careers, when you make a name for yourself, its pperhaps not wise to change it.

and personally, not meaning to offend but i deplore double barrelled names on children.

Perhaps my opinion will change in another 10 years :D

Mind you, the most important thing for me is that i can find a woman somewhere to carry my spawn, if healthy i dont care if they want to call it Spot!.

Double Barrell
    WindSock wrote: »
    Same for me :)

for a historical and geneological point of view as the bloodline can only be traced through the Male chromosome or something like that.

To me bloodlines are only relevant to horses and showdogs, but genelogically people trace their families on both sides so that is nonsense.
    I have a rather sinking feeling that our progeny will be tracing us via our ramblings on the boards.ie archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

No
    if i was to have a kid outside marriage, i'd give him/her both our names.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I have a rather sinking feeling that our progeny will be tracing us via our ramblings on the boards.ie archives.

In that case we'd all better get used to the idea that we're going to be disowned by future generations

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No
    I will 100% take my husbands name, more for my future children than him. i think it would be awful for my children to have a different name to me or their father, it's just wrong IMO (unless I'm not with him).

Double Barrell
    Cathooo wrote: »
    I will 100% take my husbands name, more for my future children than him. i think it would be awful for my children to have a different name to me or their father, it's just wrong IMO (unless I'm not with him).

So if you broke up with him and kept the children, you'd change their names?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say whoever I make lucky will, my name rocks.

I would say just pick the 'cooler' name.

Cathooo wrote: »

My sister separated from her husband last year and she's recently started using her maiden name again, although the kids obviously have their idiot father's name. However a friend of mine separated 6 or 7 years ago and still uses her married name as she says it's easier dealing with schools, bringing the kids on holidays and the like when her name is the same as the kids'. She tried using her maiden name a couple of times and said it caused all sorts of confusion when she signed forms etc., because all the older records had her married name on them. She intends to change back to her maiden name when the kids finish school but it's ridiculous that in this day and age some places just can't cope with what is becoming an increasingly common situation.

No
    No I wouldnt, I meant if we werent a couple when they were conceived i'd give them my name, it would take an awful lot for me to change their names

No
    zaph wrote: »
    My sister separated from her husband last year and she's recently started using her maiden name again, although the kids obviously have their idiot father's name. However a friend of mine separated 6 or 7 years ago and still uses her married name as she says it's easier dealing with schools, bringing the kids on holidays and the like when her name is the same as the kids'. She tried using her maiden name a couple of times and said it caused all sorts of confusion when she signed forms etc., because all the older records had her married name on them. She intends to change back to her maiden name when the kids finish school but it's ridiculous that in this day and age some places just can't cope with what is becoming an increasingly common situation.

I can well imagine that, that's one of the reasons I'd take his name and give that name to my kids, saves a lot of hassle if ye stay together (hopefully for me the odds will be that I'll stick with the father of my children)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

personally i'd take a double barrel but only if it sounds good. problem is my bf (just for example) has a double barrel name. my surnames Finn so if i have a boy i'd have his first name as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Double Barrell
    Right now, I think I'd probably keep my own name. But that might change once I'm actually in the situation of having to decide. My last name is unusual, and I like it. Plus, my mother kept her own name at a time when it was a really strange thing to do so I've grown up thinking it's a fairly normal thing to do!

Any kids I had would take the fathers name though. I'm not keen on double-barrelled names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Double Barrell
    def no from me but then little chance of me getting married [not in an awww I'll never find a man sense but in the I just don't believe in it sense] so I don't think it will ever come up.

My mum kept her name and it never caused any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I was hoping the naysayer's to this question would cite women’s independence, social equality or the antiquated nature of marriage (among others) as potential reasons for your reticence.

But no the popular answer is "ugh, it doesn't go with my forename" like it was some sort of fashion accessory?

Spas the lot of ye concerned. Ya might as get back in the kitchen and wait for your perfect man “Mr. Bint” to appear in your life. I strongly encourage you to take his name btw.

(Oh and as an addition, all of the above applies also to anyone who said they would take the name because it would be an improvement on their own name. You're just as bad, if not worse.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Double Barrell
    Pigman II wrote: »
    I was hoping the naysayer's to this question would cite women’s independence, social equality or the antiquated nature of marriage (among others) as potential reasons for your reticence.

But no the popular answer is "ugh, it doesn't go with my forename" like it was some sort of fashion accessory?

Spas the lot of ye concerned. Ya might as get back in the kitchen and wait for your perfect man “Mr. Bint” to appear in your life. I strongly encourage you to take his name btw.

O thank *beep* I thought I was on my own - cheers for being so fantasticly blunt about it - wish I had been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Double Barrell
    I would keep my own name and would want my children to have my name. Theres four girls in my family and only one boy and it annoys me that my dad thinks that only my brother can carry on the family name. I was born an o'Donovan and will die an O'Donovan!

Cant see myself getting married or having kids anyway tbh.

Advertisement