Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking the name

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Double Barrell
    Well I've loads of time to think about it. My mum kept her name, and I'm double-barrelled....my mum's and my dad's...if I took a guy's name I'd be triple-barrelled! Don't know if I like the idea of changing my name, I mean, what's the necessity? I like my name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Double Barrell
    I picked the No option because the jury is still out on that one so I'm not sure if I would or not. Especially if he had a horrible surname, you're stuck with that forever. We shall see. Don't think it really matters all that much anymore anyway....though what the kiddie's surname/surnames would be would be a bit awkward alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Double Barrell
    Probably not. And if it rhymed with my firstname or was too similar to my firstname definitley not. There's enough Brian O'Brien types in the country without it being self-inflicted :)

And while my name is common in Munster (where I'm from) there's only one or two of us up this end of the country, i think i'd prefer to keep my own, I like it anyway.

I work in a school and we see plenty of students coming in with different surnames to their parents/siblings and it's never been a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MLE

No
    I took my husbands name and really dont understand why women wouldnt like already said, its make you becoming a family official having the one family name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some women wouldn't because they feel the need to question this accepted convention. Why should she take his name? Why can't he take hers?
    I, for the life of me, can't understand why a woman wouldn't question it - the Women's Lib movement is 40 years old now, it's about time we stopped taking for granted certain stuff that is considered the "norm".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

No
    tbh, it is one of those things that i wouldnt mind overly at all. that said, i had been seriously intending changing my name to the irish version once i got my passport renewed, but given my b/f's inability to pronounce my name as it is now... i think ill be passing on that.

it really is just one of those things i've always taken for granted, and i dont feel it diminishes or compromises myself at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I think a lot of posters here seem to be more concerned about how their name would sound using their own surname vs using their husbands... ie what impression would it give?

Sad reflection on current society & its values IMHO...

As for double barreled names... Jeez, we moaned about the Brits and their traditions for how long? suddenly we have the Murphy Farrells...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Double Barrell
    Nah, probably not. I like my name :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Femmy wrote: »
    This is something i have been thinking about quite a bit recently.
    i am a single mother , my daughter is 6 and she has both my name and her fathers on her birth cert, but i usually just use my surname for her, like for school, and the dr and stuff. I knew i would never marry her father thats why i insisted on both names going on the birth cert. I am now with my partner and we have talked about marriage. I would love to take his surname, but then my daugters would be different than mine, plus any other kids we may have. If i dont take his name, would we give our kids his name or my name...either way some one in the family will have a different surname to the rest...

Sounds like me and I have no problem with having a different surname to everyone else in my family but that's just me I suppose.

My friend's mother done what Cathoo suggested - she was a single mother so my friend had her surname, then she married and had my friend's name changed to that of her step-father. They seperated a few years later but he still has her step-father's name, even though they have no contact whatsoever. I suppose it's just easier for her to keep it than to change it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

I dont particularly like my surname as its v irish - but the bf surname is worse. Dont like it at all.
    I am always looking out for cool secondnames - Law, Power, Bond (ehehe)
    But of my friends who are married I would still refer to them with their pre-marital name. Its just easier otherwise I get - who is that again? etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No
    Yes, I'll take my partners name.
    Not into double barrelled names, so won't do that

Advertisement