Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what petrol should i use for legacy b4?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I got a 00 legacy b4 in nov. When i got it had petrol in it and was really fast since i started puting petrol in it i find its getting slower. Do i have to get it re mapped any advise would be grat thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I use Maxol E5 on my Jap import, find it's more powerful and uses less fuel. you could always use 98 octane, E5 is 99.2 octane as far as I know and is generally the same price as regular unleaded.
    This is presuming your car is a Japanese Domestic Market model.

your ECU should adapt to whatever fuel you put in it, so remapping shouldn't be necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

I think il try that would it be ok to mix it or will i wait until its empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

waiting till it's almost empty, run it for a day, then unplug the battery for 30 mins to do a full system reset and then drive on is what I did. the ECU is supposed to adapt eventually, but I reckon a reset would speed things along. (could depend on the particular car too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Shell V-Power is a higher octane which will increase you B4 performance, but its more expensive than regular Unleaded fuel, failing that there's bottles of boost control stuff that can be got in Motor factors and the likes :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Alz® wrote: »
    Shell V-Power is a higher octane which will increase you B4 performance, but its more expensive than regular Unleaded fuel, failing that there's bottles of boost control stuff that can be got in Motor factors and the likes :cool:

NO ITS NOT, shell Vpower is only 95 ron in ireland. in the UK and europe it is 99ron.

the only high ron fuel we have is maxolE5 which is 99.2 ron, everything else is 95 ron. theres an E85 fuel out there but thats a different story.

and yes you do need tou ecu remapped for 95 ron, not so much if you constantly stick to E5 as its 99 ron. remember your running a 2 litre twin turbo 290bhp car which was designed to run on 100ron fuel in japland and now running it on 95 ron, it will cause detonation and eventually piston melt down.

do a search on www.isdc.ie, its a subaru owners club and they will inform you og the best options.

but beware, i would not run any jap turbo car on 95 ron for long, the ecu doesnt retard enough as say a honda ecu will.

if i was in the market to buy a second hand impreza. legacy, evo etc i would never buy one that hasnt been mapped for 95 ron and proof provided.

best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

kceire wrote: »
    NO ITS NOT, shell Vpower is only 95 ron in ireland. in the UK and europe it is 99ron.

the only high ron fuel we have is maxolE5 which is 99.2 ron, everything else is 95 ron. theres an E85 fuel out there but thats a different story.

and yes you do need tou ecu remapped for 95 ron, not so much if you constantly stick to E5 as its 99 ron. remember your running a 2 litre twin turbo 290bhp car which was designed to run on 100ron fuel in japland and now running it on 95 ron, it will cause detonation and eventually piston melt down.

do a search on www.isdc.ie, its a subaru owners club and they will inform you og the best options.

but beware, i would not run any jap turbo car on 95 ron for long, the ecu doesnt retard enough as say a honda ecu will.

if i was in the market to buy a second hand impreza. legacy, evo etc i would never buy one that hasnt been mapped for 95 ron and proof provided.

best of luck

listen to the man and do as he says be for another B4 is off the road for a stupid reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the b4 is mapped for 104ron petrol as standard, meaning you'll need to use maxol e5 the whole time and use octane booster with it as well which means it will be as close to 104 as possible but will still run lean.

my cousin blew his engine by running his b4 on 95ron for just a month.

the subuaru owners club is a must for you join it as soon as possible and learn as much as you can, as far as i remember when i was looking into the b4 only 2001 and after can be remapped, pre 01 and you have to use octane booster but this was 6 months ago maybe a way of mapping them has been found by now

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

Thank lads dose any one know how much to get a car remapped?

draffodx wrote: »
    the b4 is mapped for 104ron petrol as standard, meaning you'll need to use maxol e5 the whole time and use octane booster with it as well which means it will be as close to 104 as possible but will still run lean.

my cousin blew his engine by running his b4 on 95ron for just a month.

the subuaru owners club is a must for you join it as soon as possible and learn as much as you can, as far as i remember when i was looking into the b4 only 2001 and after can be remapped, pre 01 and you have to use octane booster but this was 6 months ago maybe a way of mapping them has been found by now

after 2001 you can get whats called a tek3 remap which is sofware which is able to enter the codes of the standard ECU. before 2001 you will need a standalone ecu like a power fc or maybe talk to the guys in CDA http://www.couture-auto.com/, i think they can fir an apexi boost controller and safc or similar to control the fueling etc.

jus wrote: »
    Thank lads dose any one know how much to get a car remapped?

a tek 3 remap will cost approx 750 euro
    a full power fc supplied and fitted will be approx 1200 euro

i must insist you join www.isdc.ie to clarify exactly whats available for your particular version of B4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭monksavage

Id say your just gettin used ta da power lad, nothing to do with fuel.

Through my experience nobody in Ireland can write effective karnaugh maps for a cars ECU. You`d have to go to the UK if you want it done bug proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

its not essential to get a scooby remapped i had one a year ago and drove it hard all the time and never had a problem with it, it depeneds on the oil used i used castrol rs 10w-60 and changed every 5k kms. i know morer people who had there cars blown up after a remap

guil07 wrote: »
    its not essential to get a scooby remapped i had one a year ago and drove it hard all the time and never had a problem with it, it depeneds on the oil used i used castrol rs 10w-60 and changed every 5k kms. i know morer people who had there cars blown up after a remap

the oil has to be changed at short intervals anyway even when its running on proper fuel in japan, it depends on which subaru your driving, personally i'd want a b4 remapped

i had a wrx impreza and the engines are basically the same

i had a wrx impreza and the engines are basically the same

no there not, the WRX is a toned down 225bhp car, the B4 is a 290 bhp twin turbo car, 2 different kettles of fish in my opinion.

how would changing the oil at regular intervals stop cyclinder number 3 from receiving enough fuel and detoning, which is what causes most subaru's to die.

OP, its your choice wether you remap it or not, but remember you were warned if it does blow.

as above, if you talk to the guys on the irish subaru website, they get Andy Forest over from the UK during the year to map their cars. Andy is the God of subaru's in the UK, just like Johnny from Ai Autosport would be the daddy for Evo's.

the wrx has 240 bhp, i was a member of the isdc and part of the reason it detoinates is cos it gets so hot from not having proper oil in it, all i did was put a walbro fuel pump in and never had any trouble and most subarus die from big end failure ie. oil starvation, what ur sayin is meltin a piston

the wrx has 240 bhp, i was a member of the isdc and part of the reason it detoinates is cos it gets so hot from not having proper oil in it, all i did was put a walbro fuel pump in and never had any trouble and most subarus die from big end failure ie. oil starvation, what ur sayin is meltin a piston

well depending on what version the WRX is????
    jap spec is 240bhp
    UK spec is 225bhp.

and when you run a jap spec on irish 95ron petrol, your back at the 225bhp level.

the walbro fuel pump is a deffo mod as it increases the flow of fuel to 255 l/h (i done this to my evo before getting it mapped), as it allows you to also up the boost and ensuring enough petrol is supplied.

as the OP is talking about a legacy B4, i think it is safe enough to assume its a jap import, and hence why we all have told him to look at ISDC to get more info, were only trying to help him.

put your car up for sale against an identical car with a remap for irish petrol and i know which one i would be buying imo.

mine had 250 in 06 and it was a 94 i know people sat that a scooby will def blow up if not mapped but thats not fully true, like what is an ecu for, it retards the ignition when it detects knock and if ya put in a power fc it cant retard the ignition timing so thats wi a lot of the older scoobys blow up after gettin mapped i think only 01 on can get a tek-3 remap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dominicfurey

Hi,

Will I need to get a Subaru Legacy GT - B E Tune car re-mapped whenever it comes in from Japan, or Will Maxol E5 solve any risks to my engine.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

projectgtr wrote: »
    listen to the man and do as he says be for another B4 is off the road for a stupid reason.

Damn i newer knew that! :eek: . So after all you need be carefull on those imports... Btw is that only subaru B4 problem? or any jap cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my b4 turbo went after 3 days. big end bearings went on it, first irish owner, car was runnin maxol e5 and octane booster.

its only really subaru turbos that NEED to be remapped when they come in cuz the engines are ****E.

the likes of nissans and that the ecu can adapt to our petrol a lot easier than subarus.

Hi,

Will I need to get a Subaru Legacy GT - B E Tune car re-mapped whenever it comes in from Japan, or Will Maxol E5 solve any risks to my engine.

Thanks

use e5 and octane booster until you can get a remap but personally with all jap subarus I'd look to get it remapped.
    Damn i newer knew that! :eek: . So after all you need be carefull on those imports... Btw is that only subaru B4 problem? or any jap cars?

pretty much any subaru turbo engine is at risk without a remap, there notoriously weak need lots of care and are terrible at handling our petrol.

other jap imports aren't as bad you will probably just lose power running on our petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

copeyhagen wrote: »

the likes of nissans and that the ecu can adapt to our petrol a lot easier than subarus.

not true. But Nissans from the factory have a conservative map compared to the Subaru. e.g S14a 220bhp, b4 290bhp both have the same displacement.

The S14a JDM cannot be run safely on 95Ron and does not retard the ignition. The facility is in the ECU yes but its not implemented.

guil07 wrote:
    and if ya put in a power fc it cant retard the ignition timing

True but PFC has knock detection and will allow you to watch which cells are knocking and retard the timing as necessary (manually). DET cans are still more accurate.

As for cars blowing up after a remap. Id like to see the autopsy to see what let go. Detonation will be obvious with the head off.

ON TOPIC:
    If your going to go the trouble of remapping. Which if it was my B4 it would have been mapped asap. E85 mapping is the way to go for high octane but Requires a full remap a fuel pump and larger injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

draffodx wrote: »
    use e5 and octane booster until you can get a remap but personally with all jap subarus I'd look to get it remapped.

pretty much any subaru turbo engine is at risk without a remap, there notoriously weak need lots of care and are terrible at handling our petrol.

other jap imports aren't as bad you will probably just lose power running on our petrol

Well so between jap imports and u.k models no difference in engines? and that extra bhp only becouse of petrol used?

thought this thing now scares me away from all jap imports to be honest.

Now really do nissans have no problem with it? or its lottery again?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

In Regards to Maxol E5 - do all garages stock it or only some?

Edit found it: http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-stations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Well so between jap imports and u.k models no difference in engines? and that extra bhp only becouse of petrol used?

thought this thing now scares me away from all jap imports to be honest.

Now really do nissans have no problem with it? or its lottery again?

subaru engines are really soft, even when they get a remap.

afaik they are the worst engines of all the imports with regards to our petrol

evos and nissans arnt as bad afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

jus wrote: »
    I got a 00 legacy b4 in nov. When i got it had petrol in it and was really fast since i started puting petrol in it i find its getting slower. Do i have to get it re mapped any advise would be grat thanks.

there are fuel additives out there that as supposed to bring you octane level up but whether is does or not I don't know

I've also head a few bad things from the Maxol Fuel thats supposed to be octane 99.

The Lad that done some work on my car said its no different to 95. And he knows A thing or 2 about Jap cars. ;)

kceire put me in contact with him a while back. Id stick with the additives until you get a remap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

my b4 turbo went after 3 days. big end bearings went on it
    Exact same happened my UK Legacy Turbo, turns out it was the wrong oil used.
    With any RB/SR engine all you need to do is rotate the distibutor anti-clockwise until ignition timing goes from 22° to 15°, takes about 5 mins :D

My old RB20DET binliner used detonate a small bit before I knocked back the timing, it was perfect since. Also to note, the octane booster I used before that fouled all my plugs. Nothing but Texaco Techron 95 used since and produced 260bhp on standard boost with just a filter and exhaust. Not too bad for a 16 year old engine with 135k on the clock :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Hi Dirty diesel

Could you give me more details on how to retard the timing as i'm running octane booster in my 92 GTST at the minute and would like to use 95 as it's cheaper and less hassle.

Gary

Advertisement