Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to find ftos?

Options
  • 09-01-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Im looking to buy an mitsubishi FTO second hand but not seeing much out there for under 8 grand is there any other website other than carzone.ie that i cud find them on, as theres only like 4 on it,
    also could any1 tell me any problems with the fto as i know of none thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

go on to www.fto-ireland.com for more details.

I'll be selling my hugely specced blue 95 GPX tip in the non too distant future, under €6k.

18" alloys, drilled/grooved discs, lowered suspension, HID's, clear repeaters, respray in Ford Amparo blue, Apexi induction kit, Mongoose exhaust, glow dials, MOMO wheel, cream leatherette seats, Clifford G5 Avant Guard alarm with remote start and Blackjax coded immobiliser, DVD headunit, upgraded speakers, 160GB media hard drive, that sort of thing, plus all the goodies a GPX model gives you

have you checked out insurance yet?

myftoxn0.jpg

Your exact question was asked not too long ago here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207584&highlight=FTO

I see around 15 FTO's on carzone for under 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

how goes the Celica search??

ninty9er wrote: »
    how goes the Celica search??

not great, silly season at work so finding time to go see them is proving difficult. kinda thinking similar vintage Datsun 280z too. may have to look in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭skaterdude

how soon?

skaterdude wrote: »
    how soon?

Jeez Colm no new car yet and 2 potential buyers.....and they tell us it's a hard job:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

have a celica for sale on carzone if you want to pm me
    2001 model 190bhp,

Colm's looking for a classic 70s model AFAIK

yup, classic all the way. I work in a Toyota dealer, so getting a newer one is easy! thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

colm_mcm wrote: »
    yup, classic all the way. I work in a Toyota dealer, so getting a newer one is easy! thanks anyway.

Couples of old ones on carzone looking ok. 1988 model.

Woud i be able to find a few perfectly working maybe 95/96 models for under 5 grand? or do u think or would i be wasting my time?

• Advertisement

you can, they probably won't be MIVEC models, probably 2.0 V6 GR model (180bhp)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Whats a MIVEC model?
    sorry what i ment to say was would it be ok for driving for a few years for those kind of years?
    its like 13 years old, how many years would i hopefully get out of it a few or lots if i take care of it?
    would it be in perfect working order or hve a few things wrong with it cause of the milage and age
    sry i dont know a lot about ftos

there are 3 engines available in FTO's

1.8 4 cylinder (125bhp) pretty normal engine as you'd find in a Galant etc.
    2.0 6 cylinder (180bhp) V6 engine that revs out the same as any V6
    2.0 6 cylinder (200bhp) MIVEC V6 engine that revs much higher, in the same way as a Honda VTEC does. the hp figure doesn't tell the whole story, it just gives you a lot of usable power to around 9,000 rpm

MIVEC's are generally the most expensive and will usually be badged as "GPX" - although other less common specs used the same engine.

You should get a long life from an FTO that hasn't been neglected, bear in mind the age of the car, it's not like buying a 3 year old Corolla, things will wear out every so often.

Are jap import ftos cheaper?

depends, if you're bringing one in you'l more than likely need:
    new stereo
    alarm/immobiliser
    4 new tyres
    timing belt/water pump/auxilary belts
    road tax and NCT
    full service

and the usual import stuff like VRT, VAT, import duty etc.

It depends on what you're after, there's good value in Ireland on 95 models, with newer stuff like 98's you have the potential to save money, given that they fetch so much more in Ireland than 94/95 models.

All FTO's are Jap imports by the way, they were never sold new in Ireland. Mitsubishi UK sold some new through Ralli Art for a short while, but apart from these few, they were never sold new in Europe

Mine's officially on sale on adverts now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Mine's officially on sale on adverts now!

Your affair with the FTO didnt last long

Nice looking motor , what colour was this originaly ?

It used to be black. I'll probably get another FTO at some stage, just got a shortlist of cars I have to own, a classic BMW or Merc being next on the list!
    I have a company car, and live very near where I work, so don't do a lot of driving, I love the car, and am unsure if I'll keep the FTO, company car and the classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

It used to be black. I'll probably get another FTO at some stage, just got a shortlist of cars I have to own, a classic BMW or Merc being next on the list!
    I have a company car, and live very near where I work, so don't do a lot of driving, I love the car, and am unsure if I'll keep the FTO, company car and the classic.

Yeah was thinking of getting a classic myself.Looked at a 74 Merc 350 SLC which I'm 95% going to buy at the weekend.

I'M sure u'll have no problems selling that FTO. ITS got a huge spec and that colour looks the business.

• Advertisement

I'm not under any pressure to sell, Don't know how I'll feel if I do sell it :(

Advertisement