Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring UK import (UK plate) in Ireland

Options
  • 09-01-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I recently imported a car from England so naturally enough it has a UK plate. I am missing part of the V5 document (which I should have by the end of next week) so I could not register the car when I took it to the VRO. They gave me a letter in case i get stopped by the guards which basically says i'm waiting on the V5 document and that i'll register the car as soon as I get it. So my question is about insurance.
    I just insured the car online (Britton Insurance) so the reg I used was obviously the UK reg that's on the car. Is there any hasstle with this, or do I simply ring the insurance company once the car is registered to inform them that the reg has changed to an Irish reg? Is there a charge for this? Can I now legally drive as long as i have the VRT letter on me, and have my insurance reference number (reference number, not policy number. Actual policy number gets posted with the disc) that I got online? Obviously the car can't be taxed until it's registered so does this matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Shigsy wrote: »
    I recently imported a car from England so naturally enough it has a UK plate. I am missing part of the V5 document (which I should have by the end of next week) so I could not register the car when I took it to the VRO. They gave me a letter in case i get stopped by the guards which basically says i'm waiting on the V5 document and that i'll register the car as soon as I get it. So my question is about insurance. I just insured the car online (Britton Insurance) so the reg I used was obviously the UK reg that's on the car. Is there any hasstle with this, or do I simply ring the insurance company once the car is registered to inform them that the reg has changed to an Irish reg? Is there a charge for this? Can I now legally drive as long as i have the VRT letter on me, and have my insurance policy number that I got online? Obviously the car can't be taxed until it's registered so does this matter?

Thanks

Ya can't drive the car - your only given grace of 24hrs of when the car is imported to pay vrt. The letter is worth very little. Your insurance company should change over the reg to the new irish one when your ring up and for no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was in exactly the same position.

Legally, Ronanom is right.

In reality, drive away mad.

The letter is basically given to show the guards if they stop you that you case is genuine. Everyone takes the p*ss a little before registering and all the most the guards will do is give you some grief and let you off. Insurance is not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Ronanom wrote: »
    Ya can't drive the car - your only given grace of 24hrs of when the car is imported to pay vrt. The letter is worth very little.

Well the vehicle registration office are the ones that asked me did I want a letter so I could show the guards in case I get stopped, so surely this means I should be fine?
    cantdecide wrote: »
    Insurance is not an issue

So I should be fine with just the insurance reference number, since I dont have the policy number yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

This happened the last car i brought in, VRO gave me a letter saying i had declared the car to them and i was waiting on the V5 and it was ok for me to drive the car. As it happens i did get stopped by the gardai, showed them the letter and they let me on my way.

I don't see why you can't drive the car, after all you'll be paying the VRT rate as of the date you declared it to them.

Regarding insurance, you'll be fine on the UK reg. Most companies these days will insure a UK reg on a permanent basis ! Once the car is registered just ring them with the new reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

My understanding, is that assuming you're properly insured, its not the Gardai you need to be worried about... Customs are the people who can seize the car if you're driving it on a foreign plate. If you have a letter from the "VRO" who are themselves Customs, then I can't see you getting in trouble as long as the time frame is reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Drive away, dont worry about it.

Great, sounds like i'm ok so. I fully intend paying the VRT as soon as possible, which should be the end of next week with a bit of luck. I drove into work today in the new car for the 1st time, pocket full of all kinds of documents and reference numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

What car did you bring in btw ?

DaveD wrote: »
    What car did you bring in btw ?

2004 Lotus Elise 111

Advertisement