Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Freelander problem

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I have a 01 Freelander, and I seem to have a problem with the heater. It only seems to work (as in blow hot air) when the car is constantly moving at 20 or 30 MPH and above. The fan works fine, but if I'm in typical Dublin traffic, the air blows cold all the time, and only heats up when I get onto a motorway etc, only to go cold again when I next get stuck in traffic.

Is this normal in a Freelander, or is there something broken, like a circulation pump or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Whats the engine temperature gauge showing at the time? This weather I find my car cools down when idling (reverse of normal), gauge starts dropping noticeably particularly on my commute to work when stopped at lights...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

MYOB wrote: »
    Whats the engine temperature gauge showing at the time? This weather I find my car cools down when idling (reverse of normal), gauge starts dropping noticeably particularly on my commute to work when stopped at lights...

No It's not that MYOB, the temp gauge levels off after a few minutes in mid range in all conditions, but the "hot" air is at outside ambient temperature (i.e. freezing at the moment) unless I'm fairly clipping along constantly.

PauloMN wrote: »

Fair dues to you - I must be entering the wrong stuff in the Google, fairly decent possibilities in there all right. Thanks Paulo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

If it's petrol your headgasket might be on the way, they do all sorts of funny things as regards heating before it blows, also check your water pump, the fins on the pump wear out and the water doesn't circulate as well as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

My first thought was that somebody might have pulled the 'stat.

As with the above, check the coolant level, OP. Part of the problem is that Rover petrols carry damn little of it...

• Advertisement
Advertisement