Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence

Options
  • 09-01-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Thought the new offie Eden Gate is very good. Not too expensive either. They have more wines in the fridge than any other in Greystones and have 8 wines on taste to sample. The guy in there is also very passionate about his wine. Well worth supporting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Thought the new offie Eden Gate is very good. Not too expensive either. They have more wines in the fridge than any other in Greystones and have 8 wines on taste to sample. The guy in there is also very passionate about his wine. Well worth supporting.

If you look closer you will see they are also the most expensive offie in greystones, roughly a euro more expensive per bottle of wine and all the beers are more expensive than supervalu/obriens. They charge convenience shop prices, like you would pay in a garage. Anyway, its not a patch on OBriens in the village, all the staff are top notch at service and wine knowledge...imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭MegFi

Have to agree King's are good! Dropped in one evening when was waiting for service in Pizza's 'N Cream and was impressed...wasn't really looking (just passing time) but a guy (who prob was the owner) offered me tastings of the wines which I found hard to turn down!! ..and he asked me what I was looking for...couldn't say "nothing, just passing time!!!..." so mentioned a wine I came across abroad and always keep an eye out for, as it isn't available in Ireland I believe...which he insisted on researching for me and hence took my contact details. Was impressed!
    Co-incidently, I read an article a few mins ago in an industry publication on the owners of this new venture (as I work in the hospitality industry), so think they know what they are talking about... Hope it goes well for them! :)

I must also say that I always love O'Briens - fantastic stock and great staff too!
    Just pity there wasn't somewhere open late in Charlesland now as have a craving for nice glass of wine!! I really should just shut up, sign off and go to bed instead!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Wineman wrote: »
    If you look closer you will see they are also the most expensive offie in greystones, roughly a euro more expensive per bottle of wine and all the beers are more expensive than supervalu/obriens. They charge convenience shop prices, like you would pay in a garage. Anyway, its not a patch on OBriens in the village, all the staff are top notch at service and wine knowledge...imho.
    Maybe its a bit dearer in some areas,maybe. But if you are just buying an everyday quaffer for example G Debouf Macon Lugny €8.99 compared to O'Briens Macon Lugny LaTour €14.99 or Chanson Macon Villages €10.99. Personnaly I prefer the Debouf. Another e.g. Hunters Pinot €18.50 is €18.99 in SQ. Sure; fair enough; the range is smaller but the shop is very handy for us as you drive down from the N11. Based on my experience (and Megfi) to compare this shop to a garage is totally unfair. Bigger is not always better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

In fairness to Wineman he said the prices compare to a garage not that the shop does:
    wineman wrote:
    They charge convenience shop prices, like you would pay in a garage

I don't come down the SAR too often so doubt very much I'd just be popping in at some stage as I don't think it's worth the trip up and down the SAR just to get into it!

Personally speaking it's all about the wine, not where you buy it, so I've no problems in picking up good wines from Tesco or anywhere! Even Aldi does good wine nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Personally speaking it's all about the wine, not where you buy it, so I've no problems in picking up good wines from Tesco or anywhere! Even Aldi does good wine nowadays.

True. And Lidl.

• Advertisement

Debouf Macon Lugny €8.99 compared to O'Briens Macon Lugny LaTour €14.99 or Chanson Macon Villages €10.99. Personnaly I prefer the Debouf.

Latour Macon Lugny is actually on special @ 9.99 in OBriens and the Chanson Macon Villages (which is made by Bollinger): is 2 for €20, I think its one of the best value white wines on the market. Sorry to be a wine bore but as you can tell by my psuedonym I'm passionate about my wine.

Latour Macon Lugny is actually on special @ 9.99 in OBriens and the Chanson Macon Villages (which is made by Bollinger): is 2 for €20, I think its one of the best value white wines on the market. Sorry to be a wine bore but as you can tell by my psuedonym I'm passionate about my wine.
    No. It's not boring. That Latour has been on special somewhere for nearly two years. Dunnes 9.99, SQ 10.99, Super Value €9.99, and O, Briens even gave it away free with a dozen mixed at one time. You would wonder how they will ever get it up to 15 again. As for Chanson, yes its nice enough. Made by Bollinger? No. Bollinger is a Champagne Grand marque. Chanson is Burgundy Appellation. Maybe the same parent company. Just thought your man was worth a turn as he is making an effort and really he is not that dear. And it's handy to drop in on the way home. I think having 8 wines on taste is a great thing. Despite the huge turnover that O' Bs enjoy (and as you say the guys there are good) they rarely open anything very interesting. PS Their buyer seems to have some fixation with Sancerre/Sauvignon Blanc. Their mid price and premium range of Chardonnay is very thin , very little Riesling and currently no semillon. See, I am a wine bore too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

No. It's not boring. That Latour has been on special somewhere for nearly two years. Dunnes 9.99, SQ 10.99, Super Value €9.99, and O, Briens even gave it away free with a dozen mixed at one time. You would wonder how they will ever get it up to 15 again. As for Chanson, yes its nice enough. Made by Bollinger? No. Bollinger is a Champagne Grand marque. Chanson is Burgundy Appellation. Maybe the same parent company. Just thought your man was worth a turn as he is making an effort and really he is not that dear. And it's handy to drop in on the way home. I think having 8 wines on taste is a great thing. Despite the huge turnover that O' Bs enjoy (and as you say the guys there are good) they rarely open anything very interesting. PS Their buyer seems to have some fixation with Sancerre/Sauvignon Blanc. Their mid price and premium range of Chardonnay is very thin , very little Riesling and currently no semillon. See, I am a wine bore too.

Wow... lots of info and opinion. Mikedragon is correct just buy what you like from Tesco and enjoy!! don't be told its wrong wrong wrong. :D

Never said anything negative about Tesco wine. On the contrary. Tesco Premier Cru Champagne NV at €24.99 was recently compared to Bollinger which is €55. And trust me it's good. Tesco Marlborough Pinot Noir at €15.99 excellent. Finest Chablis€9.99 on special Dec. also good..........I could go on. But I dont need to. My point was that the Kings Offie is nice and the guy in there is passionate about his wine and nice to his customers. If like me,; you like not having to go into the village; it's very handy to drop into on the way down from the N11. Leave the JS subject on the JS thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭DTinthegrove

Thanks for your your knowledge about wines its great and i will give a few of those a go!! JS?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just another vote for the off-license - Kings. Staff are super friendly and helpful, seem passionate and genuine - it's always good to support smaller business and these guys certinaly seem worthy of it.

As for Chanson, yes its nice enough. Made by Bollinger? No. Bollinger is a Champagne Grand marque. Chanson is Burgundy Appellation. Maybe the same parent company. Just thought your man was worth a turn as he is making an effort and really he is not that dear. And it's handy to drop in on the way home. I think having 8 wines on taste is a great thing. Despite the huge turnover that O' Bs enjoy (and as you say the guys there are good) they rarely open anything very interesting. PS Their buyer seems to have some fixation with Sancerre/Sauvignon Blanc. Their mid price and premium range of Chardonnay is very thin , very little Riesling and currently no semillon. See, I am a wine bore too.

Firstly Chanson is owned and run by Bollinger, the next time you are down in Beaune/Burgundy ask them for a tour, they are very hospitable and its a fascinating historical building. Secondly as far as I can make out OBriens have a number of different wines open everyday, they also have ample stocks of all the varietals you spieled off including Semillon which you will find in their Australian and Bordeaux sections, usually as a blend but in some cases as a single varietel.

Totally agree with you on Tesco Champagne, I had Bollinger on Christmas day and my guests arrived with the Tesco premier cru and I have to admit it it was superior to the Bolly. Apparently its won lots of awards.

Bizots own Bollinger and yes the Parent company cant remember its name has the ownership of Chanson Per et Fils. However I dont think Bollinger would be boasting too much abour running it as Chanson has been involved in serious scandal regarding breaches of Appelation laws where blending non Burgundian grapes (with Burgundy) is concerned. Research Marion bros court case and subsequent sentencing for you info. Also their former cellar master Cugny. Another crook.
    With regard to the ''ample supplies'' of the varietals I mentioned. Semillion 100%from Australia Nil. Maybe Bethany Barossa but I dont think so. All bordeaux whites are blends. Lawsons NZ and Henschke Aus probably the only Rieslings from the New World. Look dont get me wrong. It's a nice store. I just think they could improve in some areas that I mentioned. Wines in Fridge, Wines on taste, depth of range where varietals are concerned. Thats all.
    Entry level Macon and Beaujolais (Debouf) are €8.99 at Kings. Is that expensive in your book?

With regard to the ''ample supplies'' of the varietals I mentioned. Semillion 100%from Australia Nil. Maybe Bethany Barossa but I dont think so. All bordeaux whites are blends. Lawsons NZ and Henschke Aus probably the only Rieslings from the New World.

Two Australian Semillons even though they are relatively rare and usually found in blends..Torbreck Semillon (89 Parker points) and Bethany Semillon. They also have 5 New World Rieslings including Astrolabe Riesling which is superb. Thats a pretty reasonable line up relative to the market for them.

Have to say though, the use of the Eno wine system in Kings for tasting is clever, Its certainly a good idea if you want to try before you buy.

All bordeaux whites are blends.

Wrong again I'm afraid.

Wrong again I'm afraid.
    No I meant all the Bordeaux at O Bs are blends. I think you'll find that they are. Yes Australabe Riesling is very good. Aussie Semillon Rare? Well aside from being grown in The Hunter, barossa , Clare, Margaret River,Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale, Swan River, Tamar tasmania, even Queensland and being the one Aussie winestyle which has true regional varietal character; Yes its rare. as you say. Wrong again.

No I meant all the Bordeaux at O Bs are blends. I think you'll find that they are. Yes Australabe Riesling is very good. Aussie Semillon Rare? Well aside from being grown in The Hunter, barossa , Clare, Margaret River,Adelaide Hills, McLaren Vale, Swan River, Tamar tasmania, even Queensland and being the one Aussie winestyle which has true regional varietal character; Yes its rare. as you say. Wrong again.

I was referring to single varietal Semillon not being widely available here relative to Sauvignon/Chardonnay etc. As for O'Briens not having any single varietal Bordeaux whites..Chateau Reynon and Dourthe No 1 are both 100% Sauvignon Blanc. You just dont give up do you, go have a beer and cool down.;)

I was referring to single varietal Semillon not being widely available here relative to Sauvignon/Chardonnay etc. As for O'Briens not having any single varietal Bordeaux whites..Chateau Reynon and Dourthe No 1 are both 100% Sauvignon Blanc. You just dont give up do you, go have a beer and cool down.;)
    Yes they are. But they are not 100% Semillon are they? I've had a beer thank you and no I dont give up By the way mines a glass of Australabe Sauvignon Blanc. Whats Yours?:)

Yes they are. But they are not 100% Semillon are they? I've had a beer thank you and no I dont give up By the way mines a glass of Australabe Sauvignon Blanc. Whats Yours?:)

You wrote "No I meant all the Bordeaux at O Bs are blends". Anyway, mines Latour Domaine des Valmoissine Pinot Noir, lovely soft elegant Pinot, oops Its not even an OBriens wine:) Cheers.

You wrote "No I meant all the Bordeaux at O Bs are blends". Anyway, mines Latour Domaine des Valmoissine Pinot Noir, lovely soft elegant Pinot, oops Its not even an OBriens wine:) Cheers.
    So I did. but you know that I was talking Semillion. Yes and that is a good Pinot. Try that Tesco Marlborough Pinot by the way. It's very good.
    Back to the point. I'm glad that you liked the enowine idea at Kings. With the fridge space and friendly service, location. Maybe it's worth the extra euro?:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

champagne cider anyone?
    *clink
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Its like watching two David Brents going at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

^Ha Ha!
    So Wineman why did you decide to use the username winem.......oh hang on hang on....I just got it;)

Peared wrote: »
    Its like watching two David Brents going at each other.
    David Brent? mmmmmmmmmm! Now what would he be doing at 1am on a sunday morning? Let me guess. Trolling the boards maybe? Reading posts that had nothing to do with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wow, this has gone off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

David Brent? mmmmmmmmmm! Now what would he be doing at 1am on a sunday morning? Let me guess. Trolling the boards maybe? Reading posts that had nothing to do with him?

The posts on this thread and all others have as much to do with me as you. I have no idea what Mr Brent would be up to at that time, possibly trying to outdo Gareth in a wine quiz.

As for the offies, I like both of em.

^ Thats the on topic bit :)

Advertisement