Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowfall in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Not necessarally either Paddy.
    The january 87 event that delivered 5 ft deep drifts here and delivered similar to Danno was from a North Easterly and the front that caused the bulk of it originated in Scandinavia,passed through the north Sea,the north of England and was so active it was still snowing from it in Valentia as it exited the south west coast and into the atlantic.

The thread on the "worst snowfall in the west in 30 years" in 2000 talks of 6 or 8 inches only max.
    I can give you at least 3 Easterly events in that period over here that delivered as much and a lot more and those were jan 82,jan 87 and february '91.
    The latter two were exclusively easterly precipitation aswell.

Fair enough, but offical Met Eireann figures suggest that no more than 12cm of snow fell during that period in the south and east. The drifts were a result of high winds rather than huge snowfall totals. Something that occurs just as often on this side of this magnificent Island.

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Fair enough, but offical Met Eireann figures suggest that no more than 12cm of snow fell during that period in the south and east. The drifts were a result of high winds rather than huge snowfall totals. Something that occurs just as often on this side of this magnificent Island.
    which goes to show my point that their recording stations aren´t capable of covering enough to tell what is happening.
    I can assure you that there was well more than 6 inches and up to a foot of level snow in this area and quite widely along the East coast at that time in ´87 :)
    Incidently this is not meant to be an "imby" contest , I was just detailing 3 mega snowfall events in the East in the same period in answer to the title of the other thread talking of 6 inches being the biggest snowfall in the west in 30 years :)

Advertisement