Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Servicing Front wheel bearings

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

HI,

My front wheel has a slight wobble and I think its because the bearings are damaged. THe wheel itself is not loose or anything like that...

So has anyone any tips about servicing them? Any special tools needed? Is it just a matter of cleaning out the area, adding the new bearing and a generous amount of grease?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The bearings may be fine but the hub-cones a bit loose. You'll need a pair of cone-spanners to do the job properly.

Instructions here:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

from what youve said that sounds like a buckle, if it were the bearings, the wheel would move side to side.
    turn your wheel to 90 degrees to the frame, try to move the wheel from side to side, if there is no play its a buckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 RedTea

Its not a buckle. There is some play at the hub of the wheel. When the wheel is stationary you are able to push it a little horizontally. So i think its either the bearings or some other part of the hub that is damaged.

RedTea wrote: »
    Its not a buckle. There is some play at the hub of the wheel. When the wheel is stationary you are able to push it a little horizontally. So i think its either the bearings or some other part of the hub that is damaged.

well then as morgan said....
    what hub is it??

FRONT HUB Kinetix Neutron, cartridge bearings, Ultralight 58 gram design

I've bought some bearings which are set in a round cartridge which I hope are right for the job.

As these are cartridge bearings i guess there is no 'cup and cone' , so no need for the cone wrench?

Found a doc which has some info on it

http://www.bbinstitute.com/BM5%20chap%2013.pdf

• Advertisement

oohh very swanky!!!:D
    ye they wont be cup and cone, not sure what tool you need, ive never worked on these:(:(:mad:
    should be easy to replace.
    before you do, have you made sure the skewer is in tight?? common enough situation, is it a folding bike??

yes. Dahon Speed 8. Probably the most common hit when you put the hub type in google.

Have a bike shop at the end of the road who may be able to help out if i run into trouble...

nah the place i work in has a dahon catalog, why, i dont know!!!!they make their bike look like spaceships:D
    have you seen the foding mtb:eek::eek:

ha it is too!

Advertisement