Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting a whitethorn hedge

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

As part of the REPS 3 plan i've to plant 300m of whitethorn hedge- 150m before the end of year two (June 08) and another 150m by June 10. I'm thinking of doing the whole lot this year to get it all out of the way.

Thing is how should i go about planting it? Is it the wrong time to go spraying off the grass? Any idea which spray to use? How long should i wait after spraying before planting the hedge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

You can spray anytime once the ground is some what dry, roundup would be the best to use, give it a week or so till grass starts to turn yellow then plant away,as you will be planting bareroot plants you will want to get them in by end of march,hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

In general you'll find that roundup and such like will be fairly slow to act this time of year, they rely on the active growth to circulate the chemical and so when growth is slow, the action of the chemical is slow..

If you can get a warmer day whth some sun you will get best results possible...

Presuming your planting bare root you could plant them know and spray off the grass in a few weeks when growth picks up...

Advertisement