Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IWA 1995 King of the DeathMatch tournament

• 10-01-2008 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/-/54/69/...archtype=genre

Just said id post this link for people as its a bit of a urban legend of a event and @ €9.50 with no postage charges you cant go far wrong.

Basically it was THE event where catcus jack and Terry funk made a hardcore name for themsleves!
    I wont post matchlistings for those not in the know and dont want spoilers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I watched this full event many years ago, must've been around 2000. I loved it at the time but I'm not so sure if I'd like it as much now. Looked pretty painful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

That's kinda the way with all hardcore stuff, isn't it? It was a lot cooler before people started killing their familys as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I thought this tourney was anD is incredibly over rated-aside from mick v funker in the main event it was pretty lame IMHO.

And even that match wasnt as good as I thought it would be.

For some excellent deathmatch tournaments check out the CZW Ultraviolent Tournaments of Death.

Now thats hardcore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hey it was 1995 LONG before czw ripped that and fmw of.
    As i said an urban legend and i have to agree its not as good as people made out to be.But it is what it is,im sure if people look at say super j cup 1994 and compare it to say the x division at its best they will say the same.

Evolution caused it to get better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Eoin Heffernan

i got my copy from IVP VIDEO bout a year ago, only cost 3 dollars and was great quality. post and packaging is bout an extra couple euro but after that the p&p for each dvd is only 20c. I highly recommend IVP, everything ive ordered from them has been from good-great quality and they are very quick to deliver as it only took a few days (please put into consideration its been sent from the states). Here's the link to the page
    http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_115&products_id=89

As regards to the event itself, no its not the greatest event ever but it is quite enjoyable

For example you'll see why Tiger Jeet Singh is so ****ing over in Japan. Watching him destroy Mr. Gannouske is fantastic but its the man's promo's which are what make him, ****ing intense!!!!

This is a DVD you should really enjoy, with the exception the jr heavyweight title match and the ****ty time bomb explosion in the main event which looked terrible!!!!:mad:
    Asano-san must have been red in the face after this. Then again he was probably to busy rolling around in an office full of money to care, how it got 25000 people il never know!!!! Then again considering that doctors were offering 2 free tickets for every circumcission procedure(in terry funks book) perhaps i have the answer!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I had a terrible copy on vhs a few years back and really only wanted to see it as i was a foley mark at the time, its worth having for historys sake i guess but there are better hardcore tournaments out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

jeffk wrote: »
    Hey it was 1995 LONG before czw ripped that and fmw of.
    As i said an urban legend and i have to agree its not as good as people made out to be.But it is what it is,im sure if people look at say super j cup 1994 and compare it to say the x division at its best they will say the same.

No way. I watched the Super J Cup form 94 about 6 months ago, like the week before Benoit killed himself, and it was incredible. It is stacked with great matches and stands way above the X Division for me. Any high spots in the Super J Cup made sense, they weren't just thrown in for the sake of it. Apart from the Joe, AJ, Daniels era, nothing they have done in the X Division comes near the J Cup.

Double C wrote: »
    No way. I watched the Super J Cup form 94 about 6 months ago, like the week before Benoit killed himself, and it was incredible. It is stacked with great matches and stands way above the X Division for me. Any high spots in the Super J Cup made sense, they weren't just thrown in for the sake of it. Apart from the Joe, AJ, Daniels era, nothing they have done in the X Division comes near the J Cup.

I had better drag the tape out an watch is all so.Watched the first 3 matches id say an never got into it.
    Ill have to go it another go,i think overall Japanese/chinese wrestling is hard to watch because its worlds apart from what we are used to seeing(crowd wise/atmosphere)

The only differences I've ever noticed are that the crowds don't react for every little thing, there's generally more strike-based offence, and there's better and longer build-up to highspots. Like I've noticed a few times that parts of X-Division matches look strangely similar to New Japan junior heavyweight matches, except in TNA there's no build-up to the spot, they just hit it out of nowhere

Fozzy wrote: »
    The only differences I've ever noticed are that the crowds don't react for every little thing, there's generally more strike-based offence, and there's better and longer build-up to highspots. Like I've noticed a few times that parts of X-Division matches look strangely similar to New Japan junior heavyweight matches, except in TNA there's no build-up to the spot, they just hit it out of nowhere

I seen some best of juniors division on the old twc and it was worse than tna.Mad spot after mad spot followed by not a shred of selling.This was a "best of" so i managed three matches of this before i was like **** that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I seen some best of juniors division on the old twc and it was worse than tna.

Not possible.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Not possible.
    It very much was,i meant the x division of tna to clear that bit up.
    Think i was noah juniors,low ki was in it,serious lack of selling in every match!

I'd guess that it was probably ZERO1-MAX, I'm not sure how much Low-Ki worked in NOAH, but he spent a lot of time in Zero One. I haven't seen much of that though

I was just referring to the New Japan of today, which certainly doesn't have less selling than TNA at all! New Japan back in the mid-90's had some great stuff too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

if people look at say super j cup 1994 and compare it to say the x division at its best they will say the same.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm pretty sure nothing that Petey Williams et al will EVER come close to the AMAZING matches that the greats like Benoit, Guerrero, Liger, Jericho, Ultimo Dragon, Shinjiro Ohtani put on in the mid 90's.

Comparing the X division, which has put on maybe 2 or 3 matches in its entire history which will even be remembered in 10 years time, to a show thats widely and fondly regarded as one of the greatest night's wrestling ever staged is beyond laughable.:eek:

I had better drag the tape out an watch is all so.Watched the first 3 matches id say an never got into it.
    Ill have to go it another go,i think overall Japanese/chinese wrestling is hard to watch because its worlds apart from what we are used to seeing(crowd wise/atmosphere)

Japanese wrestling is a little difficult to get into, but immensely rewarding. You need to approach it with a different mentality to that with which you'd approach American wrestling. To be honest the Junior matches from the 90's are by far the most accessible and a good starting point, if you can't get into them you're probably better off sticking to the garbage wrestling.

And as far as I know there's little or no wrestling in China, if such a thing even exists at all. They are, in fact, different countries and a Japanese person would find being grouped in with the Chinese as one big entity highly offensive.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

flahavaj wrote: »
    Japanese wrestling is a little difficult to get into, but immensely rewarding. You need to approach it with a different mentality to that with which you'd approach American wrestling. To be honest the Junior matches from the 90's are by far the most accessible and a good starting point, if you can't get into them you're probably better off sticking to the garbage wrestling.

And as far as I know there's little or no wrestling in China, if such a thing even exists at all. They are, in fact, different countries and a Japanese person would find being grouped in with the Chinese as one big entity highly offensive.:eek:
    Akin to comparing us to the Brits. :)

Anyway, is this the one where Foley loses his ear?

Terry wrote: »
    Anyway, is this the one where Foley loses his ear?

Nope thats a match from wcw in germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPLkrfW-KY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nope thats a match from wcw in germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJPLkrfW-KY
    Nice one. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

For some reason I started watching the Super j Cup 94, and stopped and have not re-started yet. Must sort that out soon.

gimmick wrote: »
    For some reason I started watching the Super j Cup 94, and stopped and have not re-started yet. Must sort that out soon.

Watch the 1995 J Cup too, its even better, all the ususal guys with the added bonus of Rey and Psicosis doing their stuff between one of the rounds. They were a little peeved they hadn't been invited into the tournament proper, so theywent out and stole the show in what was supposeed to be an intermission match!

A rarer disc thats equally good is the 1994 New Japan Super Junior Tag League, great collection of matches that never gets the pimping it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

i got my copy from IVP VIDEO bout a year ago, only cost 3 dollars and was great quality. post and packaging is bout an extra couple euro but after that the p&p for each dvd is only 20c. I highly recommend IVP, everything ive ordered from them has been from good-great quality and they are very quick to deliver as it only took a few days (please put into consideration its been sent from the states). Here's the link to the page
    http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?cPath=82_115&products_id=89

I recommend these guys too. I bought the history of the GHC title set, which is 11 discs, for something like 25 dollars. I've used them a few times, and they're prompt and reliable. At the minute, they're doing a special on the Kobabshi return show... its 1.99, can't argue with that!

I found the tournament more interesting historically,after reading about it in Foley's book, than in itself as an actual wrestling show. It's not my cuppa at all.

Advertisement