Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

seriously tempted

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

drove this tonight,

seriously tempted for the first time since I bought the bmw (and i have test drove quite a few cars) - its the first car I drove that I felt I wasn't loosing something.

can anyone talk some sense into me ?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=835093

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I can - I just bought it:D

Edit: Just kidding!

TBH your losing (not loosing!) a little of that Porsche genius on the ragtop - coupe is a much better beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

You drove a Porsche, and you're suprised you liked it? I'd be more suprised if you didnt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A convertible? In this weather? In Ireland convertibles should be marketed as having an emergency exit........a folding roof to get out of when the country is under water.:D Any time I had a Porsche I felt like a gold fish and everyone was looking at me, a bit of a posers car tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

RobAMerc wrote: »

OK, I will. Buy it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Yeah, me. Buy a 993.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

warranty will be very good on it. (Toyota Dealer Cover) If you like it, go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yeah, me. Buy a 993.:)

congrats Anan1 - you have hit the nail on the head !

The thing is I have driven a 964 ( my view its prob best looking 911) but - I could not buy it as its... well old! ( I am not talking about the plate either )

Thats why I was surprised by the 996 - its modern, comfortable, quiet as well as still a 911.
    I think the 993 may be the best blend ( also a proper air cooled 911 )but I am having trouble finding a goodun ( that I can afford ).

Junkyard - your answers are a bit stereotypical - 911's aren't for posers imo you'll raely talk to a 911 owner who doesn't know a thing or two about motors.

eamon234 - have you driven both ? I'm not sure I would be losing, the 911 like my 3 series seems to have fairly good torsioinal rigidity even in rag top form. For the type of driving I do and the limits I go to I have never found myself thinking in my current car that I miss having a roof.

I've a much older one, a 3.2 Carrera Cabriolet. If you think a 964 is 'old', you should try a 3.2! I find the tendency with convertibles is to take it a bit easier, smell the scenery, enjoy the engine note etc. It's a different car, really.

Yea I know your one alright - thats a real 911, a beauty - but not really for me, well actually tbh its the wife couldn't handle it at all thats why i am looking at the tip gearbox ones - ( oh and of course power steering :D )

I would consider going to the uk but its a crap time of year to be trying to sell my own car.

Do you think yours is any less a 911 because its a vert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

junkyard wrote: »
    A convertible? In this weather? In Ireland convertibles should be marketed as having an emergency exit........a folding roof to get out of when the country is under water.:D Any time I had a Porsche I felt like a gold fish and everyone was looking at me, a bit of a posers car tbh.

Ireland actually has a pretty good climate for convertibles. They're not all that nice in the blazing heat - muggy days like we get over here are much nicer.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote: »
    Ireland actually has a pretty good climate for convertibles. They're not all that nice in the blazing heat - muggy days like we get over here are much nicer.

I have written it so many times on boards that I just couldn't be bothered any more

Do you think yours is any less a 911 because its a vert ?
    I suppose so - in my mind, a 'real' 911 will always be a coupé without the whale tail. I didn't really go looking for mine, it sort of came to me. Had I been looking, i'd probably have been looking for a coupé. Don't get me wrong though, i'm quite happy with the way things worked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Is this not the ugliest dashboard you've ever seen :eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=383619

Anan1 wrote: »
    I suppose so - in my mind, a 'real' 911 will always be a coupé without the whale tail.

again - nail on the head ( particularly fond of SC ).

But for me the rag top offers me enough of the 911 plus some more ( wind in the hair er... on the head I mean ).

Anyway - I am off to bed - if I can sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

again - nail on the head ( particularly fond of SC ).

But for me the rag top offers me enough of the 911 plus some more ( wind in the hair er... on the head I mean ).

Anyway - I am off to bed - if I can sleep!

Go for it. Not too many cars at that price will hold their value as well as that one, so you can't afford not to buy it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

DonJose wrote: »
    Is this not the ugliest dashboard you've ever seen :eek:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=383619

Dear God!
    you'd think you were about to be pushed out of someone's uterus. Everytime you got out you'd expect a midwife to hold you upside down & slap your ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Did you seriously expect us to talk ourselves out of a spin in your Porker??:rolleyes:

They are beautiful but I must admit- I'd prefer a coupe but that would be my personal preference, I'm generally allergic to cabrios.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

cjt156 wrote: »
    Dear God!
    you'd think you were about to be pushed out of someone's uterus. Everytime you got out you'd expect a midwife to hold you upside down & slap your ar$e.

LMAO!!! Yeah was thinking something alright, not half as bad as that.. :)

Thats one seriously wrong colour for someone to put inside a car, especially one as nice as a Porsche..

Suppose it shows, that just cause you have money, it doesnt mean ya have taste, ordering a car with that colour upholstry.. :eek:

Back on topic..

Serious bucks for a now 7 year old car mate, I'd be listening to the boys here and buying the right one..

Also, a convertible porsche may as well have a target painted on the roof for every scumbag in the place to aim for.. Go for a coupe, much safer option imo..

Tox

Advertisement