Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Get Huge - Jimmys Jumpin' Journal

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Green Athene

Hi Jimmy Bottlehead,

I am replying to the query you posted on my log regarding my pull ups.
    They were not machine or partner assisted. I am finally able to do them by myself,

The thing that worked for me was to do them at least once a week even though at the beginning I moved only about 1 inch :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Jan 23rd

Back / Biceps

Deadlifts (with olympic bar 20kg incl)

90kg x 5
    100kg x 5 (4 + 1)
    110kg x 3 (2 + 1)

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows

22.5kg x 8
    25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 7

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 6
    55kg x 6

Standing Bicep curls w/ Olympic Bar

25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 6
    27.5kg x 7 (6 + 1)

Reverse Curls (not incl. Thick EZ Curl bar)

15kg x 8
    20kg x 4
    20kg x 4

Writing this a few days after the actual workout, but I remember being pretty happy with this workout. Cracked the 110kg Deadlift mark again, so shouldn't be too long til I'm up to 140kg again.

Also hit 27.5 with the single arm DB rows, which was good. No partner today, so couldn't do assisted chin-ups (thanks Green athene by the way, I'll give unassisted ones a shot next time!), so did Lat Pulldown instead. usually hate this exercise, but really felt good today, behind the neck.

Both the curls and reverse curls gave me a good pump and I think the reverse curls are doing well for my forearms.

Weight today was 13st 2lbs, so thats a 9lb gain since the start of the month! :) Wahey.

Jan 27th

Legs / Shoulders

Leg Press

220kg x 8
    240kg x 6
    250kg x 4

Squats

65kg x 8
    70kg x 6
    75kg x 5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

45kg x 8
    50kg x 64
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 7

Uptight Rows

EZ Curl Bar + 40kg x 4 H (mistake)
    EZ Curl Bar + 30kg x 8
    EZ Curl Bar + 35kg x 8

another good workout on leg/shoulder day. Only four exercises, as I don't trust that damned Hamstring machine in Northwood!
    Leg Press was good, 250kg is almost up to my PR of 260kg.
    Squats were also good... 75kg without a spotter is good for me at the moment. Looking for 80 next week hopefully.

Shoulder presses were a bit odd - I didn't match my second set last week. But I got three sets using 50kg. Went a bit psycho getting the last set, but hey ho, it worked :)

Uptight Rows started off odd too... I was looking to start on Bar + 20, but for some reason threw 40kg on the bar! Got 4 reps which is not bad.

Jan 29th

Chest / Triceps

Incline Dumbbell Press

50kg x 8
    55kg x 8
    60kg x 6

Bench Press

72.5kg x 7
    80kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    75kg x 3
    70kg x 3

Dips

Tricep Pushdown w/ Rope

35kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 6

Plank

1 Min
    1 Min
    1 Min
    1 Min 30 Sec

Decent workout... Started out terrific with hitting the 60kg (2 x 30kg) Dumbbbell Incline Press. Personal best right there. Only downside is that Northwoods DB's only go up to 30kg! :(

Bench Press was a slight letdown again - the 80kg x 4 was good, but I dunno, just wasn't feeling it that much. It got too heavy before my muscles fatigued, if that makes sense? Not so much of a pump. On the third set, I c0cked up by putting more weight on the left side than on the right. Took three failed attempts to realise this!

Dips were ok - numbers fell this week but the bench press fcuk up kinda messed with the rhythm of the workout.

I attempted overhead tricep extensions with a DB but still felt that damned twinge in the right elbow. Think its time to consider physio!

Tricep pulldowns went nicely, good pump. And I had some extra fuel in the tank, so I figured I'd throw in some ab work, and did a plank 4 times. Killed it did. But I've not worked them directly in God knows how many months.

Ah well, onwards and upwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Jan 29th

Chest / Triceps

Incline Dumbbell Press

50kg x 8
    55kg x 8
    60kg x 6

Bench Press

72.5kg x 7
    80kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    75kg x 3
    70kg x 3

Dips

Tricep Pushdown w/ Rope

35kg x 8
    20kg x 8
    25kg x 6

Plank

1 Min
    1 Min
    1 Min
    1 Min 30 Sec

Decent workout... Started out terrific with hitting the 60kg (2 x 30kg) Dumbbbell Incline Press. Personal best right there. Only downside is that Northwoods DB's only go up to 30kg! :(

Bench Press was a slight letdown again - the 80kg x 4 was good, but I dunno, just wasn't feeling it that much. It got too heavy before my muscles fatigued, if that makes sense? Not so much of a pump. On the third set, I c0cked up by putting more weight on the left side than on the right. Took three failed attempts to realise this!

Dips were ok - numbers fell this week but the bench press fcuk up kinda messed with the rhythm of the workout.

I attempted overhead tricep extensions with a DB but still felt that damned twinge in the right elbow. Think its time to consider physio!

Tricep pulldowns went nicely, good pump. And I had some extra fuel in the tank, so I figured I'd throw in some ab work, and did a plank 4 times. Killed it did. But I've not worked them directly in God knows how many months.

Ah well, onwards and upwards...

Yo Jimmy, you followin any particular plan or just your own one?

• Advertisement

celestial wrote: »
    Yo Jimmy, you followin any particular plan or just your own one?

My own. This is the fourth week now, so its due for a mix-up next week. Why? :)

I can hear whispers of SS from the corners :p

My own. This is the fourth week now, so its due for a mix-up next week. Why? :)

I can hear whispers of SS from the corners :p

Heheh! Nah just wonderin, I was readin through your log and didn't see any mention of you followin any particular programme at any stage and was wondering why. I would usually just do my own thing myself but thinking of starting Stronglifts 5 x 5 soon - just for the structure and to see how I fare - be nice to follow a programme for a change!

Aye, I know where you're coming from. Funny thing is, I keep hearing how awesome SS is on here, and I think I will give it a shot (or Stronglifts, which looks quite similar) this year. Possibly after another four weeks!

I did try Squats & Milk there toward the end of last year, but it didn't go well for a few reasons... lack of motivation, and also wasn't eating enough to compensate for lifting more.

How does my program look to you anyways? Bit scatterbrained? :D

Aye, I know where you're coming from. Funny thing is, I keep hearing how awesome SS is on here, and I think I will give it a shot (or Stronglifts, which looks quite similar) this year. Possibly after another four weeks!

I did try Squats & Milk there toward the end of last year, but it didn't go well for a few reasons... lack of motivation, and also wasn't eating enough to compensate for lifting more.

How does my program look to you anyways? Bit scatterbrained? :D

Nope looks pretty solid to me!

Jan 30th

Back / Biceps

100kg x 5
    110kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    120kg x 1
    110kg x 3 (2 + 1)

Bent Over Dumbbell Rows

25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 8
    27.5kg x 8

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

50kg x 8
    60kg x 7 F
    60kg x 7 (5 + 2)

Standing Bicep curls w/ Olympic Bar

25kg x 8
    27.5kg x 6 (3 + 3)
    27.5kg x 3F

Reverse Curls (not incl. Thick EZ Curl bar)

17.5kg x 8
    20kg x 4
    20kg x 2

Good workout - hit a 120kg deadlift so a bit closer to 140kg which I set out in my original goals. bent over rows and lat pulldowns also felt good, really pushing hard.

Bicep work was down in weight a wee bit for my liking, but forearms got an awesome pump going so I guess I worked them hard enough.

This week will be rough as I'm away from home for a lot of it. Fingers crossed I keep my weight up! Up to about 13st 2lbs as of Friday so 9lb increase in about 4 weeks.

• Advertisement

Feb 3rd

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

70kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    85kg x 4
    87.5kg x 3

Leg Press

230kg x 5
    240kg x 5
    250kg x 5
    255kg x 2

Arnold Presses
    Dumbbells x 2, so 17.5 = 2 x 17.5 DB's

17.5kg x 5
    20kg x 5
    22.5kg x 5
    25kg x 3
    25kg x 2

Standing Calf Raises
    Not including smith machine bar

60kg x 8
    80kg x 8
    85kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    95kg x 8

T-Raises
    Combo of Front Raises and Lateral Raises; Dumbbells x 2, so 17.5 = 2 x 17.5 DB's

7.5kg x 5
    10kg x 5
    12.5kg x 2
    10kg x 3
    10kg x 3

Great Workout! After the past four weeks, I'm changing it up - quite a few new exercises, but keeping the staples in there. And switching to 5 x 5 on almost all.

Squats were unspotted but I hit a personal best with 87.5kg I believe. Over my own bodyweight which I'm thrilled about. Also going nice and deep on them these days.

Leg Press is almost up to my goal of 260kg. I left the last set, as I felt a wee twinge in my knee in the last rep of the 4th set. And my thighs felt really pumped so no point over-doing it.

Calf Raises were good - went for 8 reps instead of 5 as I've read that calves and forearms need higher volume to get hit properly.

Shoulder work also good - Really pushed hard and felt it.

Hopefully this 5x5 plan will help push me back up to 13st 7lbs, and I can re-assess from there.

Feb 10

All-body workout

Squats (Full, ass-to-grass)

25kg x 15
    30kg x 15
    35kg x 15

Incline BB Press

35kg x 15
    37.5kg x 15
    40kg x 15

21's (Biceps)

20kg x 1

Bent-Over BB Rows

20kg x 15
    30kg x 14F
    30kg x 15

Skull-Crushers (straight bar)
    15kg x 15
    20kg x 15

Planks

30 sec
    60 sec
    90 sec

Side Planks
    45 sec each side

Good workout today - was dead after it! I hadn't worked out in a week as I was away from home, so I grabbed my crappy old 40kg York Barbell Set and worked with some high reps.

Squats left me in pieces, as I went really deep on them, hams-to-calves.

Everything else also did hit me hard - tried the skull-crushers with a barbell and I didn't get the same pain I've got the past year and a half. So fingers crossed that I might be ok with a barbell instead of the EZ-Curl.

Planks are also getting my abs more visible, so hurrah :)

Feb 11th

Back / Biceps

100kg x 5
    110kg x 4 (2 + 2)
    115kg x 1
    100kg x 2

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Low Cable Pulley

30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 4

Pull-Ups

Bicep Curls (not incl. Thick EZ Curl bar)

+15kg x 5
    +20kg x 5
    +25kg x 3
    +25kg x 2
    +25kg x 2

Good enough workout tonight. New routine, and didn't enjoy it quite as much as the old one but got a good pump off it. Deadlift was a bit lower than last time, as I hadn't hit it in two weeks and have lost a couple pounds (and strength). But still not bad.

Feb 13th

Chest / Triceps

Incline Barbell Press (Including 20kg bar)

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 1
    70kg x 4
    75kg x 5

Bench Press (including 20kg bar)

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 3
    80kg x 4
    70kg x 3

Dips

Tricep Pushdown w/ Rope

25kg x 4
    27.5kg x 5

Tricep Pushdown w/ Bar

25kg x 5
    30kg x 3

Hmmm. Felt like a sub-par workout to be honest. Mainly due to me having to help the missus do a 70/80 minute workout before starting my own. So was running low on energy.
    But even though it didn't feel good, on paper its better. 80kg on flat and incline bench is a steady improvement.
    Right elbow has bothered me for long enough - seeing a physio soon to sort it. Its holding me back too much with tricep work :(

Feb 3rd

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

80kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    90kg x 4
    92.5kg x 3
    92.5kg x 3

Arnold Presses

22.5kg x 5
    25kg x 2
    25kg x 2
    22.5kg x 4
    22.5 x 3

Standing Calf Raises
    Not including smith machine bar

80kg x 8
    85kg x 8
    90kg x 8
    95kg x 8
    97.5kg x 3

T-Raises
    Combo of Front Raises and Lateral Raises; Dumbbells x 2, so 17.5 = 2 x 17.5 DB's

10kg x 5
    12.5kg x 2
    10kg x 3
    10kg x 5
    10kg x 4

Excellent workout tonight. Easily a new PB for me for squats. I even think I could've got one or two more in different sets if I had a spotter. I honestly think my leg strength has gone up due to going way deeper on squats.

Calf raises were weird - my left calf is an inch smaller (gay!) and I felt like it wasn't getting worked at times during this. I made a conscious effort to work it harder though.

Shoulder stuff left my shoulders in RIBBONS... fantastic pump off them. Left out Leg Press because I was fried, and I figure there's no point beating a dead horse, whicn in this case was my legs.

Feb 18th

Chest / Triceps

65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    85kg x 3 (2 + 1)
    80kg x 3

60kg x 5
    65kg x 4
    65kg x 5 (3 + 2)
    70kg x 3F
    60kg x 4

Dips

Skull Crushers

15kg BB x 6 [got no real pump from it]

8kg DB's x 5
    10kg DB's x 5

*Elbow tweak still bothering me, even with DB's so left the Skulls.... AGAIN :mad:

Tricep Pushdown w/ Bar

25kg x 5
    30kg x 3
    35kg x 4F
    35kg x 3F
    30kg x 3

Kings Chair Leg Raises

*wasn't pushed on them so changed them to...

Hanging Leg Raises

Planks

1 minute
    1 Min 30 Sec
    1 Min 20 Sec (F)

Very good workout. 85kg is a very nice achievement for me... pretty much bang on my bodyweight!!
    Incline bench was very disappointing after last week's 80kg... this was done after flat bench this week, so I guess I can't have my cake and eat it. Or in this case Have my flat bench and still go heavy on incline.

Dips were great, as was the tricep bar pulldown. Hopefully seeing a physio this weekend for my right elbow which is something I'm looking forward too. I want to Crush Skulls... well almost.

On a side note, I've upgraded myself to vest status in the gym. Being exposed makes me feel like i've to prove I deserve to wear it - slightly weird, but it gives me a tiny push to work even harder. Plus I never thought I'd ever be able to wear one when I started working out.

Feb 21st

Back / Biceps

100kg x 5
    115kg x 2
    110kg x 5
    115kg x 1

Pull-Ups

+20kg x 5
    +25kg x 2
    +25kg x 2
    +22.5kg x 3
    +22.5kg x 2

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 5

Bent-Over DB Rows

20kg x 5
    22.5kg x 5
    25kg x 5

Worked out in Queens Gym in Belfast on a guest pass today, and between less-than-ideal diet and dealing with the new setting/equipment, workout wasn't my ideal standard.
    Deads were ok but was hoping to putt more. Pull-Ups were decent. The rest were alright, nothing special really. Meh. Next week, here goes!

Feb 24rd

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 4
    95kg x 4

Arnold Presses

22.5kg x 5
    25kg x 4
    25kg x 3
    25kg x 3
    25 x 4

T-Raises

10kg x 5
    12.5kg x 3
    10kg x 5
    10kg x 5
    10kg x 5

Good workout tonight, though it didn't involve many exercises.

Squats were great... hit 95kg, so almost broken the 100kg mark. And I got it for 13reps over 3 sets. If I'd had a spotter I'd deffo have attempted it. But my form was struggling a tiny bit so safer to stick to the 95kg.

Shoulder work was also good, although I'm finding it hard to progress. T Raises are really hitting hard, so hopefully I'll see some results from them.

Left out calf raises as I was fair tired, hadn't eaten too well the past two days and didn't wanna wait for the smith machines to free up. Amazes me how busy they are.

Feb 26th

Chest / Triceps

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5 (3 + 2)
    77.5kg x 4 (2 + 2)
    80kg x 3

70kg x 5
    80kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    85kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    85kg x 2 (1 + 1)
    80kg x 1

Dips

Skull Crushers

NOT including EZ Curl Bar

Bar + 10kg x 5
    Bar + 15kg x 5
    Bar + 20kg x 5
    Bar + 25kg x 3
    Bar + 25kg x 2

Tricep Pushdown w/ Bar

25kg x 5
    30kg x 5
    35kg x 5 (3 + 2)
    35kg x 2
    30kg x 5

Great session tonight. Hit 80kg x 3 on the incline press and still managed to crack out 85kg x 6 on the flat bench. Was delighted about that.

Physio said my elbow isn't anything to worry about and not to hold back on tricep work, so finally able to really let rip with it.
    Dips were decent (think they were fried after both benches) but Skull Crushers and Tri Bar both went very well.
    Sadly I ran into a mate in the gym and didn't get to hit my abs today :/
    Oh well.

Feb 27th

Back / Biceps

100kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 3

Pull-Ups

Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown

45kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 4.5

+20kg x 5
    +25kg x 5
    +27.5kg x 4

Bent-Over DB Rows

25kg x 5
    25kg x 5

Good workout again... hit a 120kg Deadlift so its getting there slowly but surely. Also the pull-ups are coming along as well.

I've now hit 13st 8lbs, so thats a 15lb gain in just under two months. About 2lbs a week. I'm coming off creatine now for a couple weeks but hoping it doesn't effect me til I get back on it in two weeks.

• Advertisement

Mar 3rd

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 4
    100kg x 2

Arnold Presses

22.5kg x 5
    25kg x 5
    25kg x 3
    25kg x 3
    25kg x 2

T-Raises

10kg x 5
    12.5kg x 4
    12.5kg x 3
    10kg x 5
    10kg x 3

Hanging Knee Raises

Yay!! Broke another goal of mine today, with breaking the 100kg squat... but I went even further and hit 105kg for 4!! Delighted I am :D
    Best part was, I was hoping for just one 100kg squat, but I actually blasted through the first three like a demon, and the other two soon followed.

Arnolds were alright... slight gain from last week. Same with the T-Raises.

Knee raises didn't feel as good as last week, not sure why... but this is a great start to the week. Gonna get measured at the weekend and I'm banking that that'll be even more good news.

Mar 5th

Chest / Triceps

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 4
    80kg x 1F
    80kg x 2

70kg x 5
    80kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    85kg x 3 (2 + 1)
    85kg x 2
    70kg x 5

Dips

Tricep Pushdown w/ Bar

35kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 5
    35kg x 5

Planks

1:30
    1:30
    +10kg 1:30

Good workout. Not great, but I'd had a few bad days eating and I managed to pretty much match what i did last week which isn't too bad.

Not the best patch right now, but I'll get back on track ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Mar 3rd

Squats

90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 4
    100kg x 2

Well done on the squats. 100kg for 4 is an awesome milestone for your first foray into triple figures.

kevpants wrote: »
    Well done on the squats. 100kg for 4 is an awesome milestone for your first foray into triple figures.

Aww, cheers man. Was 105kg for 4! So aye I was delighted! :)

Mar 24th

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

90kg x 5
    95kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    95kg x 3

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    40kg x 5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    40kg x 5

Uptight Rows

EZ + 20kg x 5
    EZ + 30kg x 5
    EZ + 30kg x 5
    EZ + 35kg x 5
    EZ + 35kg x 5

Good workout. Took three unplanned weeks off (read, LAZINESS) so I was expecting to really be fooked today. But I hit 95kg in squats, and I did stiff legged deadlifts for the first time. Good Christ, I've not felt this pain in a long time!! never hit hams directly before, and I'm in bits tonight. Wahey!

Shoulder work was decent, nothing more to say! Onwards and upwards!

Mar 24th

Chest / Triceps

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 3
    70kg x 1
    72.5kg x 4

70kg x 5
    75kg x 4 (3 + 1)
    72.5kg x 2
    70kg x 4
    70kg x 3

Dips

Mar 29th

Back / Biceps

90kg x 5
    110kg x 3
    110kg x 2
    110kg x 2
    110kg x 1

Barbell Rows

50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5

Pull-Ups

Close Grip Cable Rows

40kg x 5
    50kg x 4
    45kg x 5

Skull Crushers (not incl. Thick EZ Curl bar)

+20kg x 5
    +30kg x 5
    +27.5kg x 5

EZ Curls (Not incl bar)

+25kg x 5
    +27.5 x 3
    +27.5 x 2

Mar 24th

Legs / Shoulders

Squats

80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    100kg x 4
    100kg x 4

Stiff Leg Deadlifts

40kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5

Dumbbell Shoulder Press

40kg x 5
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 4
    50kg x 4

Mar 24th

Chest / Triceps

70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    82.5kg x 5 (3+2)
    85kg x 3 (2+1)
    80kg x 4 (3+1)

60kg x 5
    70kg x 4
    70kg x 3.5
    70kg x 2
    60kg x 5 (4+1)

Dips

• Advertisement

Apr 11th

Back / Biceps

100kg x 5