Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bubble water?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi simple question here, I have been giving my little one (2yrs old) bottled water lately and she has developed a love for the fizzy non flavoured stuff. This is great as she gets lots of fluids as a result. But I'm not sure whether this is bad for her teeth or not.

I guess the question is, is this bottled fizzy water bad for her teeth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

sparkling water or fizzy like lemonade ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I don't think there is anything wrong with fizzy/sparkling water (I assume that's what you mean as you say non-flavoured), there is no sugar in it. My 22 month old drinks it occasionally and we never even considered it bad for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ocassionally I think would be the key due to the mineral content tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Well, at 2 years old she'll only have those teeth for a few years anyway :p

I think there's a bit of uncertainty about sparkling water and it's effect on teeth.

Some studies have shown that the minerals in mineral water help "resurface" the teeth when enamel is removed. But from what i remember I don't think it was conclusive.

There's a dental issues forum over at biology and medicine, with some dentists kicking about. You could ask them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

I think I read somewhere that the bubbles are very bad for teeth. I'll try and find an article....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All carbonated drinks are acidic. CO2 dissolved in water produces a weak acid (carbonic acid). Lemonade / "fizzy drinks" etc. usually have fruit acids and other acids added as well, so sparkling water would be a lot better than these, but not as good for teeth as non-sparkling water. Whether sparkling water, in the real world, is likely to be a problem I can't tell you (I studied chemistry at college not dentistry!) Some drinks marketed as "kind to teeth" were shown to be anything but. I'd stick with tap water (unless your local authority has a boil notice etc!!! :eek: ) You can keep a bottle of it in the fridge, after a day or so the chlorine is gone and it tastes as good as any bought water imho.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Cheers for the feedback lads. I'll try to wean the little one off of it as it probably isn't the best for her really. She's growing to fond of it and is now refusing to drink milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Well you've got the perfect treat for her there. If you can get her to go back to drinking regular (still) water and just give her the fizzy stuff as a treat then that'll be excellent. I wish my little one thought fizzy water was exciting....she was introduced to coke last summer when staying with relations and now begs for it whenever we eat out. Before she was perfectly happy with milk or water or watered-down fruit juice. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Good thinking there dame. I'll try to do that. Yikes Coke, and I thought I had problems, that stuff is pure muck for kids, to damn tasty by half as well. Good luck with that. We tell our little one that coke is for Dada or Mama not for her and shes ok with that, ok as long as she doesn't get a taste of it that is.

Advertisement