Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Wi-Fi in Dublin not going ahead...

Options
  • 10-01-2008 3:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

It was with great disappointment to day that I read in the Irish Times, a few pages in I might add that the plans for a free Wi-Fi service in Dublin City has been scrapped.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0109/wifi.html?rss

In fact I'm also quite disappointed with the media coverage the story is getting compared to the coverage the plan for the fesability study got when it was first rolled out. Maybe I should be more interested in Hilary Clinton and an Election that's 8 months away.

How ironic it was though that while I read the article the Eircom Banner Ad flashed away offering me Broadband at €15 euro per month showing a picture of some spanner sitting in a cafe with his laptop. €27 million eh? We should all just chip in, I'll take care of the money...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how did other cities keep a space for non-commercial wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

If I understand that correctly, I don't believe it's a question of "leaving space", unless it's leaving space for commercial providers. I just think it would be nice to have free internet access for a while, before we start to pay for that access by way of our TV and Radio licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

studiorat wrote: »
    How ironic it was though that while I read the article the Eircom Banner Ad flashed away offering me Broadband at €15 euro per month showing a picture of some spanner sitting in a cafe with his laptop. €27 million eh? We should all just chip in, I'll take care of the money...

maybe that's because you get free WiFi access in eircom hotspots when you sign up to their home broadband service?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Apparently a few of the big Internet providers advised the government that it wouldn't be a good idea, I wonder why. The thing that really bothers me is the amount of money thrown away on failed government IT projects that cost a lot more than 27 million :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Iago wrote: »
    maybe that's because you get free WiFi access in eircom hotspots when you sign up to their home broadband service?

Signing up to Eircom Broadband is not free though...

• Advertisement
Advertisement