Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The new corsa is being recalled

Options
  • 10-01-2008 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

The new corsa is being recalled - because THE STEERING MAY FAIL AT ANY MOMENT! - sorry for the capitals but thats the way opel wrote it in the nice letter they wrote us - they even mentioned that they would FIX IT FREE OF CHARGE?? They didn't even tell us to stop driving it?? Just drop in when you like attitude??

Now they are acting like it was our fault?? and doing us a favour by FIXING IT??

I wonder how they came to realize that the MIDDLE TELESCOPIC STEERING SHAFT MAY SNAP??

Now we only have the 1.2 sxi which is pokey enuff round town, but we still need the steering to WORK??

The OPC corsa does 140 mph plus standard and weighs the equivilent of a packet of tissues - sound like a few lads out there were doing the equivilent of a bungee jump with an ordinary elastic band to me??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Thats bad well ya know what to do so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Be aware that if you bring it to your local Opel Dealer, and they don't thave the part in stock, they won't let you take the car away until they get it and fit it. You could have to walk away without your car.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

JamesM wrote: »
    Be aware that if you bring it to your local Opel Dealer, and they don't thave the part in stock, they won't let you take the car away until they get it and fit it. You could have to walk away without your car.
    Jim.

The may not let me walk away with the corsa - but I will be leaving with a car of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The may not let me walk away with the corsa - but I will be leaving with a car of some sort.

Only if you've arranged it with the dealer beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

In fairness why would anyone show up off the street into their main dealer to have their car fixed/ recalled without calling first?! :confused:

I incorporated the recall on my astra sporthatch diesel (starter motor problem) with it's first service and was given the exact same car (down to colour co-incidentally) for free with no problems. The whole thing took 24 hours because that was what suited me.

OP your recall sounds a good bit more serious than mine was to say the least!!! Obviously just give them a call a few days in advance and you should be given a free car and they will have the part in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

We got the letter this morning. Contacted local dealer. We were told that the dealer we bought the car from should have called us at least a month ago. Also, told that if for any reason they could not fit the part or if the faulty part had damaged something else, and if they didn't have a replacement, they couldn't release the car.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Corsas were recalled in 98 or 99 aswell for power steering problems. (They were recalled for a load of other things also)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So the car is safe to drive to the dealership but not safe to drive away if the part isn't available? Although I understand the issue of liability, what is GMs logic in that?

Phoned them today - helpdesk in UK - said take it to you nearest opel dealer - very helpful - phoned the opel garage - was told it could take 5mins or 5hrs? asked how come they said we have to look at it? Asked for a replacement car - was told no - its a recall? opel will only give a replacement car if its over 24s? told me they would hire me a micra? asked why a micra - was told thats what they have? Now I was going to trade up to this years model - now I am not so sure.

I also told him there was a shuddering sound for the front wheel - he told me it could be brake pads or faulty suspension - asked if it was covered on warranty - told the brakes were not (wear n tear) suspension was. asked him why only the brakes on one side was dodgey - he told me the pad may have fell off - I had to get off the phone before my wheels started falling off?? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

What year Corsa's does this affect?

• Advertisement

Phoned them today - helpdesk in UK - said take it to you nearest opel dealer - very helpful - phoned the opel garage - was told it could take 5mins or 5hrs? asked how come they said we have to look at it? Asked for a replacement car - was told no - its a recall? opel will only give a replacement car if its over 24s? told me they would hire me a micra? asked why a micra - was told thats what they have? Now I was going to trade up to this years model - now I am not so sure.

I also told him there was a shuddering sound for the front wheel - he told me it could be brake pads or faulty suspension - asked if it was covered on warranty - told the brakes were not (wear n tear) suspension was. asked him why only the brakes on one side was dodgey - he told me the pad may have fell off - I had to get off the phone before my wheels started falling off?? lol
    Jaysus Jim, that crowd is a disaster... Name and shame.
    I got my Astra from Opel Airside in swords... Can't say a bad word, was very impressed with the buying and servicing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thats bad well ya know what to do so :D
    Don't buy an opel.

Plug wrote: »
    Don't buy an opel.
    Don't agree with you there plug!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Only certain chassis numbers are effected - namely the very first few that rolled off the production line. Contact your local dealer not the UK....obviously....

Only certain 07 models affected - and the letter tells you to ring the helpdesk which just happens to be in the UK - who haven't a clue - just tell you to phone your local garage.

She is going in tomorrow - let ye know what happens.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I work for an opel dealer. A certain batch have been recalled by opel. This requires a check which takes about 5 mins, (a number on the shaft must be checked). Then provided the shaft is not one of the codes which require replacing (most are not, i have checked quite a few and only one required replacing so far). If it does need to be replaced it takes about 45mins to an hour to fit the new part. I know the dealer i work for is doing their best to have a few in stock at all times to reduce incovience to customers. They are also giving it priority and carrying out the recall while customers wait as it doesnt take long to avoid cars having to be left in.

Lucifer wrote: »
    I work for an opel dealer. A certain batch have been recalled by opel. This requires a check which takes about 5 mins, (a number on the shaft must be checked). Then provided the shaft is not one of the codes which require replacing (most are not, i have checked quite a few and only one required replacing so far). If it does need to be replaced it takes about 45mins to an hour to fit the new part. I know the dealer i work for is doing their best to have a few in stock at all times to reduce incovience to customers. They are also giving it priority and carrying out the recall while customers wait as it doesnt take long to avoid cars having to be left in.

Yeah, guess what mine is one of the ones with the bogey steering - got it checked today - they're fixing it next week - Also when the steering is locked and when you turn the steering the whole lock ignition and cowling moves round with the steering wheel - plus the scraping/juddering from the from brakes are normal when braking lightly?? Opel know about it but can't do anything about it.

In saying all that the staff were nice and helpful and promised to sort the car out for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lucifer wrote: »
    This requires a check which takes about 5 mins, (a number on the shaft must be checked).
    Are the part details used in each car not held on an Opel database?

kbannon wrote: »
    Are the part details used in each car not held on an Opel database?

Its the same part in all the 07's just some were made by a different company - the recon its a precautionary recall - may never fail??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

Havta laugh at some of the dont buy an Opel comment, folks if your not car/mechanically minded STFU :D because every manufactor has recalls not just Opel/Vauxhall..

Regarding Corsa recalls, i think all Corsa C/Combo models from 2004-2006 are been called back for ABS units, i'll check in work for sure!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Alz® wrote: »
    Havta laugh at some of the dont buy an Opel comment, folks if your not car/mechanically minded STFU :D because every manufactor has recalls not just Opel/Vauxhall..

Exactly. Same old rubbish in every thread...." Fiats are rubbish....all renaults are scrap...blah blah blah by people who have never even owned the very make or model they're slagging off. Anyway thats just my 2 cents

Alz® wrote: »

Regarding Corsa recalls, i think all Corsa C/Combo models from 2004-2006 are been called back for ABS units, i'll check in work for sure!!

This is the new corsa 07 -08 model - intermediate teliscopic steering shaft to be precise - only ones made in a 3mth period before they changed parts supplier for the paticular part - Must be the earliest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are they re-calling on the hand-brake problem as well, or is that just Vauxhall in the UK, as per the BBC Watchdog programme a couple of nights ago. This seems to cover various models, where the hand-brake clicks off and the car rolls away to do some damage.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Its a certain batch of chassis numbers that need to be checked. the shaft has 2 numbers printed on it. we then check one of these on the computer to see if it is to be replaced. there is about 6 or 8 different production numbers that need to be replaced.

as someone mentioned the handbrake recall, this recall was carried out before any were sold in the country. There were about 6-10 cars recalled but the work was carried out before the launch of the corsa and was done before the car was sold. We had 2 of them i think.

In my opinion, nothing to do with opel, i dont think its a bad thing to have recalls, regardless of manufacturer. would these people prefere not to be told? does anyone remember the clio bonnet catch that comes open? watchdog did a show about it. Renault knew of this problem but continued to fit the catch and even in the next model they used the same catch. They didnt recall it, they just said that any which failed were due to poor maintainance. would people rather things like this???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 OPEL PARTS GREE

Opel corsa is No1 in sales here in Greece!!!!

Advertisement