Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So....does anyone miss Cena yet??

• 10-01-2008 4:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭

not sure if this has been done yet, but here it goes...

I know its only been a few months, but with only a few months to go until his return I'm wondering if there's anyone who misses him? TBH I'm a little undecided at the moment...

randy's done fine as champion, jeff's stepping up, HBK's always going to be there or thereabouts, as is trips...so does WWE miss him?

the logical answer in terms of the 'MONAAAAY' is of course yes; as we all know he's a huge draw.

but I'm interested to hear people opinions on whether you believe the Monday Night Raw shows and WWE PPV's themselves have missed him in any way in terms of wrestling and/or entertainment?

your thoughts please....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm happy that Jeff is being given his main event chance and I was happy to see Y2J get a chance too so I don't think he has been missed from the title scene since it has offered an opportunity for others to have a chance (this was inevitable since he dominated the title picture).

However after the Rumble - should Orton retain - then his presence (or lack thereof) will be felt. Because then you'll see the likes of Hun-tor coming in and challenging for the belt. This will bore me to tears personally.

Cena's the top star in wrestling right now and so I definitely think he's missed because he's John f*cking Cena but I'm content he's not in the title equation at this moment in time.

They are CRYING OUT for new stars and Cena is perhaps the only megastar they've made since the attitude era (maybe Lesnar too). I hope that they push Jeff big time in 2008. They need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I miss him. I think he's pretty good, would much rather see him as a heel though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm looking forward to him coming back as he was by far and away the most improved wrestler and performer of 2007, i actually quite like the guy and he has a great work ethic so the fanboys who boo him are running out of excuses now, i dont want him to hold the title for as long again though, which is strange because in one way it made the title feel more valuable that one guy held it for almost two years give or take unlike when it was changing hands every few months and weeks back in the attitude era,but at the same time it got repetitive seeing the babyface champ retain every month, basic wrestling psychology is that the heel should have the title and the face should be chasing it,not that the face champ should be overcoming the odds of bigger foes every ppv,and lets be hones the man dragged decent matches out of great "wheres the hard camera" khali and bobby "i left my personality in my other trunks" lashley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I think Raw has coped just fine in his absence. TBH I hope he doesn't come back too soon, the longer he is away the more his return will mean when it does happen. Anytime after Wrestlemania will do just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he will get one of the biggest pops ever if its a surprise, im sick of them announcing returns weeks in advance it ruins it and the crowd dont react as well, compare jerichos decent but hardly earth shaking pop to when the rock came out before armageddon 03 to help mick foley from la resistance, the crowd were actually jumping on their seats and losing their minds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

krudler wrote: »
    im sick of them announcing returns weeks in advance it ruins it and the crowd dont react as well,

I don't think it works like that necessarily. When Triple returned first in 2002, it was built for like 6 weeks and when he finally returned in Madison Square Garden the place went mental.

Same with Bret Hart when he returned to the ring at Survivor Series 1996. He got a great reaction and it was built up well in advance.

Or when Austin appeared at Backlash 2000. Everyone knew he was going to appear and they he finally did the place went unglued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I think he should return to ECW!

That would give the show some new energy, and Raw is doing fine as it is.

It might sound a bit strange, but it's always nice when there's a glut of injuries in the main event. It forces the wwe to take a bit of a chance on feuds and wrestlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think as long as the title's not put on him for an ungodly amount of time again i'll be happy to see him again.

and if he doesn't get a huge pop i'll be shocked, no matter what he's always got a huge reaction from the crowd. people do care about him whether its love or hate. this will happen no matter how the return is done IMO.

though i must say i'd prefer the surprise return if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I miss him because he's incredible. No one can generate a reaction like Cena, be it favourable or otherwise and at the end of the day that's what wrestling is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Don't miss him at all.

I'm not too fond of Orton as champ, but I suppose that just means he's doing a good job as a heel.
    Or else it's because he looks like a guy who used ot live around the corner from me and was a complete wanker. He's in jail now. :)

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    I'm not too fond of Orton as champ, but I suppose that just means he's doing a good job as a heel.
    Or else it's because he looks like a guy who used ot live around the corner from me and was a complete wanker. He's in jail now. :)

He wasn't imprisoned for destroying a hotel room by any chance? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I don't think it works like that necessarily. When Triple returned first in 2002, it was built for like 6 weeks and when he finally returned in Madison Square Garden the place went mental.

Same with Bret Hart when he returned to the ring at Survivor Series 1996. He got a great reaction and it was built up well in advance.

Or when Austin appeared at Backlash 2000. Everyone knew he was going to appear and they he finally did the place went unglued.

I think that the reason the place went nuts for Austin and HHH in those examples which you pointed out abover was because WWE made no attempt to "hide" the return of both.With Jericho,they made a poort attempt at making a surprise,a surprise.If they had not waited so long for Jericho's "surprise" return,I think that he would have gotten a major pop. After the first few weeks,fans were shouting out Jericho's name anytime Vince came to the ring to announce an opponent for anyone.
    As for Cena,some people have mentioned that he will be a surprise entrant in the rumble but I think that it is highly unlikely.WWE have no choice but to make him face for his return and wait a little while at least to make him heel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

fatal wrote: »
    Jericho,they made a poort attempt at making a surprise,a surprise.If they had not waited so long for Jericho's "surprise" return,I think that the would have gotten a major pop.

Very true.

He wasn't imprisoned for destroying a hotel room by any chance? ;)
    Nah. I think it was the couple of kilos of coke the cops found in his car.
    He is doing a bit extra for assault though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I don't miss him in the slightest at all. But that's largely because the quality of Raw has improved a good deal lately. However, I'm definitely looking forward to his return, as hopefully the Raw main event scene will be as fresh as it is now, and he'll only add to that.

If only either Triple H or HBK would head to Smackdown and do what's good for business...

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I'm not sure. I think Raw has improved a lot the past few weeks. Is that because Cena is gone? Hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JXP99

I think Cena’s departure has freshened up the title picture and as a result Raw in general, I felt before his injury that the WWE title scene had become very stale due to the fact that ever since Wrestlemania 21(2005) there hadn’t been a WWE title story line or championship match that did not involve John Cena, At least now we have the like of Jef Hardy getting a much deserved push. Lets just hope that they don’t forget about the likes of Hardy when the merchandise champ returns from injury

JXP99 wrote: »
    I felt before his injury that the WWE title scene had become very stale due to the fact that ever since Wrestlemania 21(2005) there hadn’t been a WWE title story line or championship match that did not involve John Cena

You're forgetting Edge vs Rob Van Dam following Cena's loss at One Night Stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I think he should return to ECW!

That would give the show some new energy, and Raw is doing fine as it is.

lol, that ain't going to happen ever.

And no, I don't miss him. Or his unfunny jokes. Or his annoying facial expressions. Or his bad wrestling. Or his gammy ring attire.

:D

Oops, sorry about the double post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

....not in the slightest. I think his departure from Raw has really helped the show as it forced the WWE to look elsewhere and push people such as Jeff Hardy. I think Raw has been better without Cena, whether that is a coincidence i dont know. I do anticipate his return though as i think if done right it could get one of the biggest pops ever. Yet I still really hope that he doesent immediatley get the belt back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Dean820 wrote: »
    Or his bad wrestling.

I don't miss his bad wrestling either, but it was about a year ago that I last saw it

....not in the slightest. I think his departure from Raw has really helped the show as it forced the WWE to look elsewhere and push people such as Jeff Hardy. I think Raw has been better without Cena, whether that is a coincidence i dont know. I do anticipate his return though as i think if done right it could get one of the biggest pops ever. Yet I still really hope that he doesent immediatley get the belt back.
    Pushing Hardy is one of the best moves they have made in years.
    The guy could go into the ring, sit on the edge of the ropes, take a dump and he would still be over.
    It's just a pity he's gonna be like the wrestler he sometimes emulates and end up being the second best champ who never was.

Christ, imagine the pop if he did beat Orton and tak the title, if only for a month or two.
    The ratings would soar too.

As for Cena, his bits were mildly amusing to begin with. Now he's just stale. His wrestling has improved a bit though.
    Then again, Michaels did him a lot of favours.

Pushing Hardy is one of the best moves they have made in years.
    The guy could go into the ring, sit on the edge of the ropes, take a dump and he would still be over.
    It's just a pity he's gonna be like the wrestler he sometimes emulates and end up being the second best champ who never was.

Christ, imagine the pop if he did beat Orton and tak the title, if only for a month or two.
    The ratings would soar too.

As for Cena, his bits were mildly amusing to begin with. Now he's just stale. His wrestling has improved a bit though.
    Then again, Michaels did him a lot of favours.

Yeah, I'm sure Michaels was instrumental in Cena carrying Khali and
    Lashley amongst others to the best matches they've ever had.:rolleyes:

Am I gonna get into a war of words here?
    Are you a Cena mark?

Listen, my references to Michaels were in regards to the run he had with Cena and nothing else.
    What ever about Lashley, Cena definitely carried Khali (I missed the Lashley run), but anyone who wrestled Khali caried him, including the fúcking midget (can't remember his name).
    You can't deny that Michaels put him over in a big way though.

Am I gonna get into a war of words here?
    Are you a Cena mark?

Listen, my references to Michaels were in regards to the run he had with Cena and nothing else.
    What ever about Lashley, Cena definitely carried Khali (I missed the Lashley run), but anyone who wrestled Khali caried him, including the fúcking midget (can't remember his name).
    You can't deny that Michaels put him over in a big way though.

I don't know about being a Cena mark, but I certainly think he has developeed into a fantastic worker who is excellent at working the WWE main event style.

Well, yes Michaels put him over and rightly so, at this stage of his career michaels can afford to lose main events and doesn't need the title, he's massively over in his own right. The right thing t do at this stage of both men's careers was to have Michaels put Cena over.

Glad we agree on that.

I'd still like to see Michaels get a good title run one last time though.

Come on, he deserves it. He didn't jump ship with the outsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I miss Cena.

Killings vs Cena= $$$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

Can't say I'm missing Cena myself. It was the lengthy title reigns that did it for me. I just feel sorry for the Americans who would have to pay, say, $50 to watch PPVs in the hope that maybe he would lose his belt. I personally was always hoping that he would lose his belt at a PPV because of the simple fact that it would be interesting. It would mix it up a little bit and it could even strengthen the feud because he would then be looking for revenge and to get his title back. A title reign any longer than 4 or 5 months is too long in my book.

• Advertisement

Its good that Cena got injured in a way. WWE were putting all their eggs into one basket so to speak and this has been a wake up call. They need to develop stars before its too late or something bad happens to their current crop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I liked him when he rapped, now I couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

i hope he never comes back to raw! its brilliant without him. love that jeff is getting a push too:D

Advertisement