Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refugee Thread Shutdown on Boards.us

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

He's the "main" admin on boards.us. If you look at the post's, other than me, he's the one who was most involved with the site and the one who founded all the non .ie sites before they came under the common fold :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Amz wrote: »
    Ah, so like Hagar you're of the opinion that post count, or a person's visibility is what matter when determining the validity of a user's posts?

Who said that? What I am of the opinion of is that, if a person intends to stand for something, then that person should at least have the courtesy to exercise such a stand themselves. In other words, don't be a hypocrite.

Pounding your fists on the desk because you don't agree with something, while taking no other action or remaining otherwise silent, doesn't count, and I call bullcrap.
    Do you apply this attitude to all fora or just feedback?

In this case, it's just you. Negativity, online or off, is neither healthy nor likeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm sure Cloud can and will speak for himself, if and when he chooses to make an appearance at some point...

Buffy, you speak for yourself, and not for Cloud, when you make such a comment, particularly in your capacity as an admin of .us

unkel, you are not blameless here either. I respect you , but your comments directed at BB were wholly unfounded and wrong.

Any of the admins here, quite rightly, would not presume to speak for the others.

By the way, admin, in terms of boards.ie has a rightly lofty overtone.

Admin, in terms of sites such as .us has about the same cachet as me setting up a site a la geocities and dealing with a couple of posts a month.

Let's not get carried away here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Some good points, RoundyMooney
    unkel, you are not blameless here either. I respect you , but your comments directed at BB were wholly unfounded and wrong.

Indeed they were. I apologised before and I'll do it again. Mea maxima culpa :o

My personal wrongdoings are not related to the OP about shutting down the refugee thread on boards.us, so let's cut them out of the equation for good and let's stay on topic

Please refer to my sig for what I think. Buffybot was neither right or wrong locking the thread imo, it just didn't belong there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ah, so like Hagar you're of the opinion that post count, or a person's visibility is what matter when determining the validity of a user's posts?

Do you apply this attitude to all fora or just feedback?
    I never said that, please do not mis-represent what I have said. The point I made was that you and I do not know each other through posting in similar forums. Please do not try to twist a simple statement into something it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Buffy, you speak for yourself, and not for Cloud, when you make such a comment, particularly in your capacity as an admin of .us

Well, without getting into the technicalities of it all, Cloud gave the admins of the various sister sites pretty free reign over how they operated on a day to day basis. But I don't really see how all this is relevant anyway, it's just a sideline from the main purpose of this thread.
    By the way, admin, in terms of boards.ie has a rightly lofty overtone.

Admin, in terms of sites such as .us has about the same cachet as me setting up a site a la geocities and dealing with a couple of posts a month.

Who has suggested otherwise?
    Let's not get carried away here.

That, alas, should probably be adopted as the theme of this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Right ho, Multiquote ftw! :)
    While I agree with r3nu4l that the second thread should not have been created by unkel, did such action really warrant a siteban?
    I believe this has been corrected, unkel is not banned from boards.org.uk!
    smashey has led the way here in fostering a welcoming approach, and I believe that he has done a great service today for .tv, in contrast to BB's actions which, at the least have lost the site one poster, me.
    Right, so a stickied thread on boards.org.uk and free reign to post on the entire forum is not a welcoming approach? I see :confused:

Hagar wrote: »
    If the thread was wrong on boards.us surely a similar thread on boards.org.uk was equally wrong?
    Why close one thread and permit the other? I don't follow the reasoning on that one.
    As BuffyBot says later, that's my decision, BB knows I've been happy to have the thread left open and even participated in the joking around. It's unspoken Admin policy on boards.org.uk to leave it open.
    unkel wrote: »
    Just to clear one thing up. I wasn't banned on org.uk. The second thread referred to by r3nu4l was on .org.uk
    Indeed, nor will you be unless you misbehave...Oooh, feel the power tripping :D /joke
    r3nu4l is of course quite right I should not have started a second refugee thread there as there was alreay a refugee thread. My apologies for that. r3nu4l has already fixed this by merging my thread into the existing sticky
    I was only making a point really, not actually annoyed at all. Stuff happens, to put it eloquently!
    Buffybot is the Admin on Boards.us who closed the refugee thread.
    Buffybot is the SMod on Boards.org.uk who left open a similar refugee thread.
    Go figure.
    I've addressed this, BB generally just cleans spam away when I'm not there and contributes to some threads as a user and I very much appreciate that.
    Boston wrote: »
    So his roles are different. Smods don't get to set policy here or close threads they don't fancy. Admins get to do both.
    Indeed.
    unkel wrote: »
    This is core to the issue

.us: refugee thread is closed down
    .org.uk: there was already a (stickied!) refugee thread where refugees are welcome
    .org.tv: refugees were and are received with more than open arms. A bar has even been opened for them. This is where I will go back to.
    A bar eh? Well I'll open a bar too and I'll have crisps on offer!! Beat that Smashey :D

mike65 wrote: »
    boards.tv it is from now on. They value the passing trade.

Mike.
    As said before so does boards.org.uk ;)
    BuffyBot wrote: »
    I am indeed. r3nu4l is the boards.org.uk Admin. It's really up to him the set the policy. I *could* have closed the thread, but generally I prefer to just mop up the spam/abuse on that site. As has been said, policy desicions are not mine to make there. I think there is a fairly obvious distinction.
    This is how it is folks.

EDIT: Just for future reference, if anyone has a problem with any Mod, SMod or my decisions on boards.org.uk make sure you post on the boards.org.uk Feedback forum and not here. I promise that if your problem is with me I will seek the advice of the Root Admins, if it's a problem with one of the mods there then my decision will be final.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Right, so a stickied thread on boards.org.uk and free reign to post on the entire forum is not a welcoming approach? I see :confused:
    I'm just cuddlier than you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

smashey wrote: »
    I'm just cuddlier than you. :D

Yeah, well you say 'cuddly', I say 'easy'! I don't put out on the first date :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have to say their is no reason for this thread to be here. The fact that you only posted it here is because you no longer wanted to post on boards.us just makes you look like a baby crying over some spilled milk, and also spiteful for going over the head of the admin of the site.

The only reason a thread should be here would be to debate wether the sisters should remain active or not due to the lack of traffic and hell, even at that point what buisness is it of yours, do you run any of the sites, NO.

So the admin closed one thread, could you not find the new thread button to start a new thread. Boards.us isn't boards.ie and it shouldn't be so why should they deal with a thread about a different website. I would also agree that a transient crowd of people who all know each other randomly appearing on another forum to talk about something unrelated to anything the regulars would get anything out of is pointless. If anything why don't you ask about them setting up boards2.ie for when the main site goes down.

Also BB made a judgement call and decided that he didn't want the thread open on the .us site and left if open on the .org.uk. From what I am reading she got the second judgement call spot on as it seems that Admin of that site wanted it to remain open and so it was

ye you forgot to open a bar with an open fire and free buffet as well for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

A bar eh? Well I'll open a bar too and I'll have crisps on offer!! Beat that Smashey :D

Looking for a good barman?;)

jsb wrote: »
    ye you forgot to open a bar with an open fire and free buffet as well for them

arse I have just made myself hungry now

EDIT: Just for future reference, if anyone has a problem with any Mod, SMod or my decisions on boards.org.uk make sure you post on the boards.org.uk Feedback forum and not here.
    At the original time of posting I did not know thet BuffyBot was an Smod on boards.org.uk nor did I know of your role there. I only found out following posts made by other users. The only reason I mentioned boards.org.uk was to highlight what I believed to be a inconsistency in policy as applied by BuffyBot.
    I have to say their is no reason for this thread to be here. The fact that you only posted it here is because you no longer wanted to post on boards.us just makes you look like a baby crying over some spilled milk, and also spiteful for going over the head of the admin of the site.
    The reason the thread is here is because the people directly effected by the closure were Boards.ie posters not Boards.us posters.
    The "baby crying" thing is a bit lame, do try to come up with something a bit better.
    There's no spite involved, it's a normal process called "escalation of grievance". The only people who can make a definite ruling on the actions of a sister site Admin are the Admins of Boards.ie who own the whole kit and kaboodle.
    The only reason a thread should be here would be to debate wether the sisters should remain active or not due to the lack of traffic and hell, even at that point what buisness is it of yours, do you run any of the sites, NO.

You're quite correct, I don't run any of the sites, but I am involved in TV and NZ in minor roles. I'd like to think it is my business in some small way, as part of the community as a whole.

The thread has taken on whole different dimension, some people are openly questioning the viability of the other sites. As far as I am concerned that is an entirely different topic of discussion.

All I wanted from this was a single thread that had been running for 3 years to be re-opened. At this point it's largely superfluous as boards.tv is willing to accommodate refugees in the future.

The reason the thread is here is because the people directly effected by the closure were Boards.ie posters not Boards.us posters.
    exactly yous aren't boards.us posters so aren't contributing anything to the site so why should they accomodate you if they won't to?
    There's no spite involved, it's a normal process called "escalation of grievance". The only people who can make a definite ruling on the actions of a sister site Admin are the Admins of Boards.ie who own the whole kit and kaboodle.

ye but why didn't you pm all those involved rather then air your dirty laundry in public on a site that has nothing to do with your original grievance?

sorry forgot to mention this and thought that it would probably be over looked in an edit
    You're quite correct, I don't run any of the sites, but I am involved in TV and NZ in minor roles. I'd like to think it is my business in some small way, as part of the community as a whole.

ye but it is like the whole freedom of speech thing, yes we are all part of a community and yes we all hope we can help steer boards towards bigger and better things but when it all boils down it actually has nothing to do with us, we don't have a say on the final disesion. Yes as a community boards is nothing without us but as individuals it will get on quite well when ever we leave

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I would have thought any additional traffic is a bonus.

If I'm listening to the radio and suddenly the station goes off air I'll switch to another. While I'm tuned to another I'll listen to their adverts and promotions, I may even like something I hear and stay there a bit longer or return for a slot I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

But Mr Magnolia, will you call into their listener phone in show and spend half an hour talking about how much you miss the other radio station thats gone off air, then leave the moment its back?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

1 thread doesn't equate to a phone call which would monopolize the show imho.

It's their call though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

it sounds like the only solution to this really is for boards.ie never to be down again!!!

exactly yous aren't boards.us posters so aren't contributing anything to the site so why should they accomodate you if they won't to?
    I'm a registered Board.us member too and unless denied access from a forum or a site as a whole I believe I'm allowed participate in any thread of my choosing.
    ye but why didn't you pm all those involved rather then air your dirty laundry in public on a site that has nothing to do with your original grievance?
    Because is it not a personal issue, it doesn't just affect me, it is a community issue. The admins here are the ultimate authority on Boards. Whom else should resolve an inter site issue?
    ye but it is like the whole freedom of speech thing, yes we are all part of a community and yes we all hope we can help steer boards towards bigger and better things but when it all boils down it actually has nothing to do with us, we don't have a say on the final disesion. Yes as a community boards is nothing without us but as individuals it will get on quite well when ever we leave
    All I'm doing is voicing an opinion, I have absolutely no power to make any decisions on anything. I'm just poster 7841. The matter is in the lap of the Gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

No, really lads, seriously, why is there afeedback threads about boards.us and boards.ork.uk on boards.ie?????

Surely those sites have feedback or was the OP looking for that little bit more attention?

I for one was hugely distressed when I saw this thread, I immediately thought, which whinging little twerp is moaning about me now....... imagine my surprise.... *grumble*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lollers

Since Paddy20 vanished I saw a gap in the market. :D

Advertisement