Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

100000 km in 2 years ?? too much ?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Well im on the lookout for a second hand car, 05 or 06. One has been offered to me from a dealership, with 100000km and its an 06 reg.
    The car in question is a Nissan Almera.

I'm just looking for some advise on this, is the milage too much ? 50000 a year seems pretty intensive to me, surely that would be a lot of battering on an engine.

Opinions anyonre ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On a diesel, its not that bad. On a petrol, avoid like the plague. My father about 70,000km on an 18 month old diesel, its virtually all motorway driving, probably far less wear and tear than 20,000km of stop start N7 commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MYOB wrote: »
    On a diesel, its not that bad. On a petrol, avoid like the plague.

Why? As long as it was well maintained, the petrol engine should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

So Unkel, the 100000km wouldn;t put you off a two year car ?
    the car has a full service history, so it should have been serviced 4 or 5 times ????
    i have to guess that the majority of the miles would have to be motorway, otherwise someone spent the last two years in the car constantly. But there's no way of knowing that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Ex taxi by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    Why? As long as it was well maintained, the petrol engine should be fine

I'm cynical as to the existence of well-maintained cars in Ireland, thats why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

paulusdu wrote: »
    So Unkel, the 100000km wouldn;t put you off a two year car ?

No. Provided it was fully serviced. And of course the price needs to be right (a lot cheaper than a low mileage same car). You can check if it was ever used as a taxi on cartell.ie (you'll have to pay a fee for that)

If all the signs are green, have the car checked out properly by a mechanic, before you decide to buy

paulusdu wrote: »
    Well im on the lookout for a second hand car, 05 or 06. One has been offered to me from a dealership, with 100000km and its an 06 reg.
    The car in question is a Nissan Almera.

I'm just looking for some advise on this, is the milage too much ? 50000 a year seems pretty intensive to me, surely that would be a lot of battering on an engine.

Opinions anyonre ?
    If you do a small amount of mileage each week it is worth buying a car that has clocked up alot of miles.

The reason being you get it cheaper than the equivelent low mileage car and if you arn't clocking up huge mileage its pointless buying a car that has very low mileage.

As long at it has been well maintained of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

100,000km is just over 62,000 miles which broken down on a 2 year old car is around 31,000 miles per year. Big enough mileage for a petrol car in a short space of time but not unheard of these days since many people have to commute long distances to their place of work.

Alot of people tend to see 100k on the odometer and automatically run for the hills. This seems to be a left over condition from years gone by and probably a valid assumption of cars built 20 years ago but these days generally cars are capapable of much higher mileage and tend to be mroe reliable.

The most important thing in the OPs case is to find out how the car was driven and details of it's service history. That and the thumps up from a decent mechanic. A properly maintained/serviced high mileage car can be a sound buy if you buy the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

100,000 km is nothing on a Japanese car if its been well looked after. As long as it's not an ex-taxi, an Almera should do 4 times that mileage no bother if its been well looked after. I hate the way people automatically think oh because there's more than 100,000 miles(160k km) up its going to break down all the time. Rubbish. If it's well maintained and the price is right, that Almera should be capable of doing 400k km without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How far away from Dublin do they live?

Example, if they lived in Cavan, and travelled to Dublin each day, that'd be ((115km * 2) *5 days) = 1150km for a week, and 552000km for the year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

So the general assumption that high milage on a relativly new car should not put me off, as long as the car has been well serviced and maintained.
    I'll check the service log, and i'll also check to see if it was an ex taxi.

Just on a side note, how would i have the car checked out by a mechanic ?

Are there any mechanics who offer their services (payed of course) to go along and give a car an impartial inspection ?

Excuse my ignorance on this, but i'm a newbie (ish) with motors.

Advertisement