Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist in City Centre

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭

I have a tooth that requires the attention of a dentist. Likely a re-filling.

Can anyone recommend a dentist in D1 or D2?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm getting a course of treatment from Smiles in South Anne st, just off Grafton at the moment. They're not the cheapest around but they seem to do good work and are very accommodating for appointments if you're working.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'll second the vote for Smiles (www.smiles.ie).
    I go to the one on O'Connell Street, but as noted earlier, there's one just off Grafton Street aswell.

Clean, modern, friendly, professional..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Went to Smiles in O'Connell St. Seems a bit like the Specsavers of the dental world. Not sure whether I prefer their setup to the old fashioned self-employed dental practice.

Checkup & X-Ray & filling, €220 :eek:

Need 2 more fillings and from what the x-ray showed I hope to **** my widom teeth never decide to do anything :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I know the feeling. They discovered my wisdom tooth wanted to appear so it has to go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

feylya wrote: »
    I'm getting a course of treatment from Smiles in South Anne st, just off Grafton at the moment. They're not the cheapest around but they seem to do good work and are very accommodating for appointments if you're working.

I was in pain and went to this crowd. Ended up paying all in all 590eur in one month and still could not chew. Got sent away then because she didn't know any more what is causing it.

All staff in Smiles seems particularly handsome though, which might help easing some ppl's pains...

Ended up going home for a week to get them fixed there and my dentist found right away what was wrong and was able to fix it with two visits in one week.

However, I work in Dublin and it's just not always possible to go home for a week because of my teeth.

Does anyone know a really EXPERIENCED dentist in the city centre? Possibly someone you've been going to for these past 10 years and you've always been happy with.

Thanks a lot,
    mC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

meowCat wrote: »
    All staff in Smiles seems particularly handsome though, which might help easing some ppl's pains...

I noticed that too :)
    Does anyone know a really EXPERIENCED dentist in the city centre? Possibly someone you've been going to for these past 10 years and you've always been happy with.

I'd like to know too. I never went back to Smiles for the other work they said I needed. I want a second opinion. I felt there was a lot of hard sell going on at Smiles.
    feylya wrote: »
    I know the feeling. They discovered my wisdom tooth wanted to appear so it has to go :(

Did you go back to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

BendiBus wrote: »
    I'd like to know too. I never went back to Smiles for the other work they said I needed. I want a second opinion. I felt there was a lot of hard sell going on at Smiles.

You are very right. The last time I went it was clear she had no clue what was wrong but insisted on doing 2 "little things" to see if it improves my condition. These "2 little things" were 350eur then....

Judging from what my dentist at home did she clearly cannot read an xray, or does not have the experience to know what it means. In either way, Smiles cost me a lot of money and I was still in pain afterwards. They might be fine for standard procedures and for whitenings but if you are in pain, don't go there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 K4

Guys check out portabello dental... they are fantastic... and this is from a dentalphobic!! I'm currently attending there, am having lots of work done (had not been for 7 years!) and also having whitening.....total - circa €1,200...very professional and accomodating regarding appointments.

male dentists easy on the eye too girls!

www.portabellodental.com
    or could be .ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Hey have to add about smiles,i've never heard of anyone being happy with the work done there.

The way it operates is for everyone working there to make as much money as possible and put the hard sell on people.

For anyone interested if you are under 25 and have worked 39 weeks in year 2006(operates 2 years behind on your pps contributions) then you are entitled to a free examination once a year,two scale and polishes 6 months apart and small x rays for free once every two years.
    Over 25's need 260 weeks in total since starting work and are then entitled to same.

My advice is to ring social welfare dental benefit line on 1890 400 400 and check if you are qualified as the likes of smiles afaik do not accept social welfare contributions and if they do the prices people are paying are shockingly high.

Best thing for anyone that can do it would be to find a good dentist outside of city centre who takes social welfare as prices wont be as high at all.And also if you have friends who attend dentist regularly maybe go there.

Really infuriates me how these new ultra modern practises are set up to make money money money and not give healthy dental advice and ongoing after care.

So many of these places also do Zoom whitening which is not around very long and is not known whether it causes long term damage to teeth. It just makes a quick and easy buck for dentist and a sore sensitive mouth for recipient!

Sorry for long reply just hope someone might be interested in info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

BendiBus wrote: »
    Went to Smiles in O'Connell St. Seems a bit like the Specsavers of the dental world. Not sure whether I prefer their setup to the old fashioned self-employed dental practice.

Checkup & X-Ray & filling, €220 :eek:

Need 2 more fillings and from what the x-ray showed I hope to **** my widom teeth never decide to do anything :o

I went to a fella off Molesworth Street (at the back of the lovely big Protestant Church on Dawson Street). I am terrified of the dentist and this fella was A1, went for a filling and got a wisdom tooth out as well, went straight back to work afterwards, not a bother on me. Can't remember what he charged but I do remember he was not expensive, my mot has since gone to him and thinks he's great as well.

Unfortunately I can't remember his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Cork Exile

xzanti wrote: »

Anyone have any experience with this crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Cork Exile wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with this crowd?

I got checkup and clean and two fillings the checkup was done under prsi and I got white fillings for €160 for both I could have got the silver fillings as part of the PRSI

Service was good was dealt with quickly, being located in the city centre was a major bonus seeing as I work in here. Would have no problem going back or referring others.

Only issue I have is its part of a beauty treatment place and may have ruined my macho image when I came out the door to see someone I know. :D

So no real issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

I went to a fella off Molesworth Street (at the back of the lovely big Protestant Church on Dawson Street). I am terrified of the dentist and this fella was A1, went for a filling and got a wisdom tooth out as well, went straight back to work afterwards, not a bother on me. Can't remember what he charged but I do remember he was not expensive, my mot has since gone to him and thinks he's great as well.

Unfortunately I can't remember his name.

Was he John Geraghty? Husband & wife practice? Tiny waiting room & surgeries upstairs?

If so, I'd whole-heartedly recommend him. Very nice man, not expensive from what I remember (PRSI has been paying for my checkups the last couple of years). Think i paid 150 euro for a wisdom tooth extraction and 70 for a filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Wasn't happy with Smiles myself. Got an appointment for a scale and polish on a Sunday morning in O'Connell St about 6 months ago as I couldn't make it to my normal hygienist. It was dentist doing it instead of a hygienist and she did a terrible job. Completely half-assed. Didn't even clean between my teeth.
    Cost me €30 more than normal, although i did get a tube of their magic whitening tootpaste:rolleyes:. 6 weeks later, I was at my regular dentist and she said I needed a cleaning.

They are a production line, purely a money-making enterprise. It's a nicely equipped and decorated set up, with mini-tvs over your head on the treatment chair, but I came away from the place feeling I was had.

Advertisement