Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup with dandruff/flaky skin

Options
  • 10-01-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Our 7 month old springer has a flaky skin like dandruff. Is this something normal (like babies get) or does it mean her diet is lacking in something (like oil)? Its not causing her any distress, doesn't seem to be very itchy or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hi, I recently had one of my foster pups in the vet and he noticed the same thing above his eye. He said it is sometimes caused by what he described as a "rough" life. Apparently in pounds or even badly run kennels, skin conditions can be caused by mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

This sometimes occurs during the winter months as you have your heating on. What kind of food is she getting? If it's not irritating or causing her distress then I wouldn't suspect mites.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Her food is a complete puppy food so high in protein. I wonder if she needs one with higher fat content? She has been inside in the house but will be sleeping in a kennel outside when the weather picks up.

The flakyness looks a bit like 'cradlecap' that you see in a baby!

What kind of % are we talking here? What brand is it, something like Pedigree or something like Burns/Nutro etc?

You could try adding some sardines/tuna in Sunflower oil to her food once a week or so. You can also get coat/condition supplements from your vet, Omega-Aid, Vitapet, Seven Seas coat conditioner etc. Do you groom her at all? Grooming for 20mins every week will clear dead skin and stimulate the pores.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

My dog had the same problem we give him a supplement with sunflower oil and some other oil that I cant remember everyday now and his skin is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Benazir Bhutto

I wonder could you use head and shoulders on a pet ?
    I know its a bit rough for my head cause i'm allergic to it, but generally i use shampoo to wash my hands , face , clothes and hair, ....
    the reason i use it for clothes is cause it's gentle on them unlike detergent.

so it may be ok for pets ,...anybody know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I know its a bit rough for my head cause i'm allergic to it, but generally i use shampoo to wash my hands , face , clothes and hair, ....

No human shampoo is way too harsh especially head and shoulders.
    Dogs need shampoo that is gentler than human shampoo so as not to strip their hair and skin of its natural oils

No, definitely not. Only use a shampoo specially formulated for dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Her food is redmills puppy food.... I was thinking it might be to do with the oils in her diet so will try the suggestion of adding some (sardines in oil or similar) to see if it will make a difference. I guess it should show in about 2 weeks? thanks for the suggestions to date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Australian Formula greyhound feed is superb for pups-high in protein and oil and boy does it make them glow!I've used it on a 'scurfy' pup and it worked a treat.You're also avoiding messing with the balance of a complete feed by not adding anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement