Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle Managers Job

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

So whos the smart money on?

I think Redknapp can be ruled out as he is very happy at Portsmouth and has the money to spend
    Shearer inexperienced might get some sort of role but not frontline mgt job
    Mourinho cannot see him taking this job and talks of a move to AC Milan make this very unlikely
    Martin Jol i think is a possibility a decent manager and seemingly good friends with the chairman.

Harry Redknapp 4/6 BET Stuart Pearce 33/1 BET
    Alan Shearer 6/1 BET Steve Coppell 33/1 BET
    Mark Hughes 6/1 BET Kevin Keegan 33/1 BET
    Martin Jol 8/1 BET Louis Van Gaal 33/1 BET
    Jose Mourinho 16/1 BET Marcelo Lippi 40/1 BET
    Guus Hiddink 20/1 BET Luiz Felipe Scolari 40/1 BET
    Gerard Houllier 20/1 BET Chris Coleman 40/1 BET
    Steve McClaren 25/1 BET David O'Leary 40/1 BET
    Glen Hoddle 25/1 BET Aidy Boothroyd 50/1 BET
    Jurgen Klinsmann 25/1 BET Steve Bruce 50/1 BET
    Terry Venables 25/1 BET

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Martin Jol is probably the best choice but i am consider putting some money on steve mclaren for it.Lets face it, newcastle atm is a horrible job and the quality managers just arent that desperate for a payday at the risk of their career.
    Steve on the other hand can't get much more desperate after what happened with england.Plus he was approached for the job before sam got it although, since that was by different owners it may not make much difference.Also he is the last english manager from the northside to win a trophy.Might be worth a sly bet considering the odds.

Also, Mark Hughes would be a very interesting choice but im unsure if he would be willing to leave blackburn for a job in which he has to make or break in less then a year.Due to Newcastles fondness for sacking bosses they have basically screwed themselves over because honestly , any manager with a bright future( and that is what mark hughes is)or a quality reputation will steer clear of it like the plague so your left with the money grabbing losers like david o leary + co to fight it out over the 4year contract to be paid when they get sacked before the end of the year .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Martin Jol 8/1 is not a bad bet. Shearer wont take it as its such a big ask - although he would be given more time than most in the hot seat. I may stick a few quid on Jol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Martin Jol is probably the best choice but i am consider putting some money on steve mclaren for it.Lets face it, newcastle atm is a horrible job and the quality managers just arent that desperate for a payday at the risk of their career.
    Steve on the other hand can't get much more desperate after what happened with england.Plus he was approached for the job before sam got it although, since that was by different owners it may not make much difference.Also he is the last english manager from the northside to win a trophy.Might be worth a sly bet considering the odds.

Also, Mark Hughes would be a very interesting choice but im unsure if he would be willing to leave blackburn for a job in which he has to make or break in less then a year.Due to Newcastles fondness for sacking bosses they have basically screwed themselves over because honestly , any manager with a bright future( and that is what mark hughes is)or a quality reputation will steer clear of it like the plague so your left with the money grabbing losers like david o leary + co to fight it out over the 4year contract to be paid when they get sacked before the end of the year .

O leary got a team to the semis of the champions league.
    Not exactly a bad rep for a guy with no experience up to that point.
    In saying that he wouldnt be the man for newcastle.
    They would need capello or some other hardnosed dictator to sort that place out.
    Cant see them giving it to Mcclaren or Jol, not experience enough to turn a
    place in that much trouble around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Its easy.....lay Harry!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What I am trying hard to get my head around is the thinking of the Geordie faithful. Yes they are on an awful run and are a big club but lets be honest they are no more than top 8 at best club.

The are in the bottom half of the table but they not bottom if you follow! A couple of victories could see them rise up a few spots. Martin Jol did ok in my eyes with Spurs. He just was surplus to requirements.

Expectation is very high at Newcastle and will always be but they will never compete with the top 3 - United, Chelsea and Arsenal

Still think Jol and lay Harry!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

might put a few quid on stuart pearce at 33/1 hes been away from the premiership for a while now so might be keen to come back

No chance at all dotsflan.
    Hasnt half enough experience and will probably be groomed to replace capello when he leaves.
    Can see someone like Lippi taking it if he gets €40-€50m to spend.
    They need someone who knows the first thing about defending.
    They havent had a proper back 4 in 9-10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

IrishMike wrote: »
    No chance at all dotsflan.
    Hasnt half enough experience and will probably be groomed to replace capello when he leaves.
    Can see someone like Lippi taking it if he gets €40-€50m to spend.
    They need someone who knows the first thing about defending.
    They havent had a proper back 4 in 9-10 years

you dont need much experience to train a bunch of donkeys:D:D

Seriously tempted to lay harry redknapp.
    He was 1.9 on betfair earlier today.
    Im not going to though because if i do i will put too much money on it and it will wreck my
    poor nerves for the next few days! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wait till harry comes out and says he is dfinitly staying with pompy so his price goes out, then lump on, cos thats what harry himself willl be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Harrys price went from 1.7 ten minutes ago to 5.1 now on Betfair, and drifting fast!

Someone knows something.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

27 now!

Someone made a lot of money this morning.

Sky Sports Breaking News: Redknapp to stay at Portsmouth.

Surprise surprise. Still a bit to lay on Betfair for anyone interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Has this ever happened before?

1.24 - €84,428
    1.25 - €108,159
    1.26 - €105,338
    1.27 - €214,136
    1.28 - €203,060
    1.29 - €182,118
    1.30 - €198,336
    1.31 - €97,235

It certainly has before with Harry. Dodgyiest ****er in football!

Advertisement