Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Live near town so usually pay euro to get on the bus. Was asked for €1.05 yesterday, only had €1.20 and of course not offered my change and couldnt be arsed to ask. Then today i forgot again its now €1.05 and he wouldnt let me off 5 cents so i had to give him 2 euro.

Not a penny pincher in the slightest but found the principal annoying. Does anybody here actually ever cash in their "change" on their tickets? Seems like a bit of a farse:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did when I was a student

Now I'm not I won't be seen dead on a Dublin Bus, snob that I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Long discussion in Commuting & Transport, got moved from AH yesterday
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I used to keep all the slips at the back of my wallet when I was at college. I added them all up after about 6 months and had the guts of €100 in change. A good night on the town followed :D

And whilst I agree that the 5c is only 5c, but its still 5c which you should pay :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

No, but the college I went to had charity collection points all over the college and they accepted bus reciepts as well as cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

I handed my collection of tickets yesterday and made 20 quid...not bad and you don't feel the time go...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No, but the college I went to had charity collection points all over the college and they accepted bus reciepts as well as cash.

we do this in work too. was surprised at how much built up over time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

I dont mind paying a petty 5 cents extra. No worries, just annoyed that i had to pay two euro because the driver wouldnt let me off the 5 cents. Dublin Bus know most of us will never collect our "change" i reckon they're making a fortune because i think alot of people would have my attitude of "couldnt be arsed". Does annoy me though that i wont be offered my "change" unless i ask most of the time, which i dont, and then this tosser wouldnt let me off 5 cents. Im driving tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭martin84

Ya ive noticed that with a lot of drivers, they wont give ya the change unless ya ask for it.

Please kind sir, may I have my change? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On the bus I got this morning, the driver let me off 10c.

Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Its not the money, its just the double standard that got to me :mad: Ok im finished

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Some of them give you filthy looks when you ask for your change, you'd swear it was coming out of their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

What I dont understand is why cant you use your change tickets to pay for your next journey?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

connundrum wrote: »
    I used to keep all the slips at the back of my wallet when I was at college. I added them all up after about 6 months and had the guts of €100 in change. A good night on the town followed :D

And whilst I agree that the 5c is only 5c, but its still 5c which you should pay :o

Must have been some wallet lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Or have an electronic swipe card system that automatically deducts the exact amount from a prepaid account like in the Europe and even China...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dublin Bus know most of us will never collect our "change" i reckon they're making a fortune because i think alot of people would have my attitude of "couldnt be arsed". Does annoy me though that i wont be offered my "change" unless i ask most of the time, which i dont, and then this tosser wouldnt let me off 5 cents.

I dont think they can use the money. I think its all heald in reserve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

On the upside I think Dublin Bus give away all the unclaimed cash to charity at the end of each year, although I dont recall hearing anything about it at the tail end of 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

Sizzler wrote: »
    On the upside I think Dublin Bus give away all the unclaimed cash to charity at the end of each year, although I dont recall hearing anything about it at the tail end of 2007.

I used to think that to, maybe some of it is a charitable donation. The extra money from the change reciepts is used to subsidise the Prepaid Multi-trip & weekly/monthly tickets.

Dublin Bus in fairness, do have decent selection of prepay tickets, that save alot if used correctly. I generally buy 2 or 3 books of different types to use when I use the bus, infrequently as I do.

My main issue with the Change receipts, is that you have to go to O'Connell St to cash them in. I think that any shop that sells the tickets should accept the receipts & return them to DB ... Acting as a reverse middleman. Its not like we have to go to O'Connell St to get our tickets, so why not the other way around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Sizzler wrote: »

Well they usen't, they used to say they had to keep it all in case people came forward. They had a reserve of over e750,000 at one point. I thought they decided to give some of it to charity but kept most of it, and even that came after years of campaigning (I remember being involved in trying to get them to do that nearly 12 years ago).

The reason they don't let you use them on the next journey is for security reasons. they're afraid junkies will start robbing people on the buses of their change receipts. That was the excuse anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

skywalker wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why cant you use your change tickets to pay for your next journey?

I heard someone from DB explaining this on the radio years ago.

The rationale is something like:
    They introduced the 'no change (cash)' policy partly to deter people from attacking drivers for the cash. If they accepted the change tickets in payment of the bus fare, then they would be treating like cash, and thus putting the drivers at risk again.

Apparently there's a fear that gangs of skangers would target bus drivers for their change tickets, which they would then use to ... umm ... buy drugs. The drug dealers would use the tickets in their own transations, and this whole black economy would flourish based on the alternative currency of dublin bus change tickets. Eventually this would spill over into the main economy, and the wide availability of change tickets would lead to this becoming the main currency. The resulting devaluation of the Euro would have a ripple effect throughout most of Europe, causing a continent wide economic crash. The remaining economic powers (e.g. US, China) would scramble to buy up most of Europe, but this would lead to escalating tensions resulting in a military conflict, which would eventually go nuclear, leading to the extinction of all life on the planet.

And that is why DB do not accept change tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Or have an electronic swipe card system that automatically deducts the exact amount from a prepaid account like in the Europe and even China...

Even China eh?

On another note as has been mentioned don't they give away all the unclaimed change to charity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

MOH wrote: »
    I heard someone from DB explaining this on the radio years ago.

The rationale is something like:
    They introduced the 'no change (cash)' policy partly to deter people from attacking drivers for the cash. If they accepted the change tickets in payment of the bus fare, then they would be treating like cash, and thus putting the drivers at risk again.

Apparently there's a fear that gangs of skangers would target bus drivers for their change tickets, which they would then use to ... umm ... buy drugs. The drug dealers would use the tickets in their own transations, and this whole black economy would flourish based on the alternative currency of dublin bus change tickets. Eventually this would spill over into the main economy, and the wide availability of change tickets would lead to this becoming the main currency. The resulting devaluation of the Euro would have a ripple effect throughout most of Europe, causing a continent wide economic crash. The remaining economic powers (e.g. US, China) would scramble to buy up most of Europe, but this would lead to escalating tensions resulting in a military conflict, which would eventually go nuclear, leading to the extinction of all life on the planet.

...and then all the drivers would be out of their job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

KTRIC wrote: »
    Some of them give you filthy looks when you ask for your change, you'd swear it was coming out of their pocket.

well it would be goin in there otherwise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lol brilliant!!!!
    didnt realise the decisions DB make were so important!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

I was always surprised that the whole thing is legal. What's the point in having legal tender if certain vendor's can just circumvent it? Dublin Bus must save millions because of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Live near town so usually pay euro to get on the bus. Was asked for €1.05 yesterday, only had €1.20 and of course not offered my change and couldnt be arsed to ask. Then today i forgot again its now €1.05 and he wouldnt let me off 5 cents so i had to give him 2 euro.

Not a penny pincher in the slightest but found the principal annoying. Does anybody here actually ever cash in their "change" on their tickets? Seems like a bit of a farse:cool:

Just put them in the charity box that is for them. I'll move this.
    Couldn's see commuting and transport. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

This has come up before, they don't keep the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

eo980 wrote: »
    Even China eh?

On another note as has been mentioned don't they give away all the unclaimed change to charity?

Yep - it costs students 2 cent (adults 4c) to ride on a particular bus for as long as you like (all around Beijing). You can use the metro with the same card (costs 30c for a trip).

Then again taxis usually cost around 2 euro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm a student myself and I try and have the right change to hand in. After about 2 months I only have about €4 saved up.
    Anyway, how long can you keep them before you can collect your refund?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mully wrote: »
    Dublin Bus in fairness, do have decent selection of prepay tickets, that save alot if used correctly. I generally buy 2 or 3 books of different types to use when I use the bus, infrequently as I do.

The Taxsaver Annual ticket saves me loads. I used to use the Travel 90s a lot too - people seem to forget about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

just annoyed that i had to pay two euro because the driver wouldnt let me off the 5 cents.... ......then this tosser wouldnt let me off 5 cents. ............Im driving tomorrow
    That's great logic - you are going to drive to work tomorrow because you're annoyed that an employee of Dublin Bus wouldn't supplement your bus fare! :rolleyes:

Advertisement