Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Live near town so usually pay euro to get on the bus. Was asked for €1.05 yesterday, only had €1.20 and of course not offered my change and couldnt be arsed to ask. Then today i forgot again its now €1.05 and he wouldnt let me off 5 cents so i had to give him 2 euro. Not a penny pincher in the slightest but found the principal annoying. Does anybody here actually ever cash in their "change" on their tickets? Seems like a bit of a farse:cool:
    Was it the same driver? How was the second driver to know you overpaiod the first time?
    skywalker wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why cant you use your change tickets to pay for your next journey?
    Drivers are not allowed handle cash. Now, realise that drivers can print change receipts. If they were allowed collect them from passengers, they would be able to exploit the system, essentially printing their own money.
    sillo wrote: »
    I was always surprised that the whole thing is legal. What's the point in having legal tender if certain vendor's can just circumvent it?
    There is an obligation to accept euros. There is no obligation to give change. Any business is allowed dictate their terms of business. Dublin Bus say exact fare in coins only. By your reckoning, one should be able to show up on a bus at 7am and demand change of a €500 note.
    Anyway, how long can you keep them before you can collect your refund?
    They are flexible. Once you don't turn up with €30,000 date 2002 printed on the new paper. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I give my unused change tickets to beggars and the homeless, you get some dirty looks sometimes but come on, I'm a busy man, I don't have time go up o connell st to cash them in, but a beggar, he has all the time in the world. lives a few gypsies scratching their heads as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

FensterDJ wrote: »
    I give my unused change tickets to beggars and the homeless, you get some dirty looks sometimes but come on, I'm a busy man, I don't have time go up o connell st to cash them in, but a beggar, he has all the time in the world. lives a few gypsies scratching their heads as well :D

you're probably the only person giving them change tickets - so they would have to go to O'Connell St. just to cash your poxy 30c. Never mind dirty looks, you're lucky not to get a broken bottle of Buckfast rammed in your face...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They need money, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

loyatemu wrote: »
    you're probably the only person giving them change tickets - so they would have to go to O'Connell St. just to cash your poxy 30c. Never mind dirty looks, you're lucky not to get a broken bottle of Buckfast rammed in your face...

hey they can sling it in the bin if they like, no one is forcing them to cash it in, anyway it's not like I'm doing this everyday, only when the odd coincidence of change ticket and beggar arises,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

loyatemu wrote: »

Beggars can't be choosers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Victor wrote: »
    Was it the same driver? How was the second driver to know you overpaiod the first time?
    Drivers are not allowed handle cash. Now, realise that drivers can print change receipts. If they were allowed collect them from passengers, they would be able to exploit the system, essentially printing their own money.

I have heard a story from a few drivers about something like that happening. A driver printed out a large amount of change tickets over a period of time and got a relative to go into HQ and cash them in, was eventually caught after someone noticed a higher than average % of change tickets from the one module. No idea of it is true or not though.

In the old days one of the scams conductors had was to get hold of a second ticket machine and use both, issue some tickets for the company and some for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

If you are a regular bus user, just buy a commuter ticket and that's the end of the problem. No messing with change to get the exact fare; no looking for change back when you haven't the exact fare; no queueing to pay cash; get in on the faster queue. Much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

why doesnt the box you put cash into count it automatically? I was really surprised when I realised that the "counting system" was a glass pane for the driver to look at the coins. Would it be slower or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John R wrote: »
    In the old days one of the scams conductors had was to get hold of a second ticket machine and use both, issue some tickets for the company and some for themselves.
    I recall a driver (on the 46A?) route being convicted of that back in the early '90s. He had his own machine and used to swop them around when he came to a stop with a large crowd such as at the Rugby Stadium (Bective?) after a match. He was eventually caught after a period as his takings were always less that other comparable drivers on the same route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

why doesnt the box you put cash into count it automatically? I was really surprised when I realised that the "counting system" was a glass pane for the driver to look at the coins. Would it be slower or something?

don't ruin a good thing, you can get into town for 50c if you're stuck this way
    throw in a load of coppers and you're away ;)

the biggest problem with the refund tickets is getting into town to get the money

they should have outlets in local shops

phasers wrote: »
    don't ruin a good thing, you can get into town for 50c if you're stuck this way
    throw in a load of coppers and you're away ;)
    How is fare evasion a good thing?

If all passengers paid the correct fare I'm sure Dublin Bus could make many improvements.

EDIT: re reclaiming change. The idea is to encourage people to have the correct fare. If they had many refunding outlets it would only make it too easy.

Personally, I don't think they should issue any receipts. Correct fare only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

skywalker wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why cant you use your change tickets to pay for your next journey?

You can if you cash them in. in fairness drivers can't be expected to verify receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

How is fare evasion a good thing?

I'm sorry, I'll never try to be funny again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Personally, I don't think they should issue any receipts. Correct fare only.

Illegal, surely?

If people object to this, and really want to make Dublin Bus hurry up and join the 19th century, I suppose you could always start a movement to pay with vast amounts of coppers. If enough people did this, eventually they'd have to institute the Dash swipe card system they tested in... was it 1995?

luckat wrote: »
    Illegal, surely?

If people object to this, and really want to make Dublin Bus hurry up and join the 19th century, I suppose you could always start a movement to pay with vast amounts of coppers. If enough people did this, eventually they'd have to institute the Dash swipe card system they tested in... was it 1995?
    AFAIK no business is required to give any change (althoughh most do). It's up to the customer to tender the correct amount. If they haven't, the business is entitled to refuse service. (I'm open to correction on that).

In other countries, one is required to have the correct fare on public transport.

Many vending machines here require the correct change. Put in too much and you lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

In other countries, one is required to have the correct fare on public transport.

In other countries scumbags don't try and rob the drivers the drivers give you your change.

Advertisement