Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sata2

Options
  • 10-01-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I have an Asus P4P800-X motherboard - I have 1 sata hdd and am adding another one soon - i'm trying to find out if this board will support sata2 ?

any ideas?

edit: also, would games run ok off an external hdd (usb) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Buadhach

Your motherboard will only support SATA 1 (150MB/Sec) drives.
    It does not support support SATA 2 (300MB/Sec) drives.
    (See Pages 1-3 and 1-19 of your Manual).

Therefore you will have to set the jumper on the drive for SATA 1.
    If no jumper, then use the disk that came with the drive.

Asus website http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=181&l1=3&l2=12&l3=31&l4=0

From the site:
    Serial ATA technology
    Serial ATA is the next generation ATA specification that provides scalable performance for today and tomorrow. With up to 150MB/s data transfer rate, Serial ATA is faster than current Parallel ATA, while providing 100% software compatibility.

Yes you can play most games from the external drive. But you'd be better off using an installed drive and using the extyernal as storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks for that. it's all sata2 drives on komplett as far as I can see, but if I can set it to sata, then that should be ok.

another question: if I install the new hdd and put xp onto it, will games run ok off the 2nd (original, now slave)drive or will I have to reinstall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

DonalN wrote: »
    another question: if I install the new hdd and put xp onto it, will games run ok off the 2nd (original, now slave)drive or will I have to reinstall?
    You'll have to re-install the games as the new HDD with the fresh copy of XP won't have the registry keys required to run the game.

Am I right in saying all new SATA II HDDs have an option to be set as SATA HDDs?

I told a friend of mine yesterday he could go ahead with purchasing a SATA II HDD for his old SATA-only MoBo... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Am I right in saying all new SATA II HDDs have an option to be set as SATA HDDs?

I told a friend of mine yesterday he could go ahead with purchasing a SATA II HDD for his old SATA-only MoBo... :o

Your never right your French FFS :p

But this will answer your question Dearest Steff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yes you can set a jumper to set the hdd in sata(1)

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

You'll have to re-install the games as the new HDD with the fresh copy of XP won't have the registry keys required to run the game.

crap - was afraid you'd say that. will have to dig out boxes for cd-keys and then try and remember what password I use for bf2 ! :confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Not all games require a reg key to run. Look at world of warcraft for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

well u can try and copy ur reg files with reg edit, it will work with some games, it may work with bf2 if u copy all the reg files it places alot of them in several places in the reg and also you will have to replace the cd key with tool provided by EA. u will have to change the file path in all reg files to.

u could always ghost the drives and then just delete the info u don't want on the origional drive.

Anti wrote: »
    Yes you can set a jumper to set the hdd in sata(1)
    Thanks Anti! I checked the HDD he got online (to make sure) and it can definitely be jumpered to SATA(1)! :D Phewwww

• Advertisement

Dearest Rattlehead,

I didn't get your joke!
    Cheers mate! ;)

Or did you mean "You never write you're French FFS?" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Or did you mean "You never write you're French FFS?" :confused:
    Getting English Lessons from Foreign folk......Rattlehead you have reached a new low.
    Thats cool, glad that he got the right one.

Advertisement