Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-directing site traffic Q?

Options
  • 10-01-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a site hosted with a ".ie" domain. I also have a ".com" domain with the same name. I want to be able to point the ".com" at the "".ie" domain. Both were registered with separate companies. One here and one is the US. I have passwords and usernames for both.

How do I get the ".com" to display the same page as the ".ie"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Ideally you would '301 redirect' one site to the other, and you'd do it in such a way that every page on one site gets mapped (or redirected) to the same relative page on the other domain. How do to this depends on what server you are on and whether you have access to make the changes yourself. Is this IIS or Apache ? *edit* Specifically I mean the .com site, as you wont need any changes on the .ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

you just log into the .com control panel and do a redirect?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

I logged onto the ".com" control panel, changed the name servers to the ".ie" hosts name servers and re-directed to the ".ie" address under the URL forwarding option.

I wonder is that all I have to do???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

No, that won't work.

Unless you have an account on the server where the .ie domain is, your .com will no longer be reachable.

Do you have hosting for the .com?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

sturgo wrote: »
    I logged onto the ".com" control panel, changed the name servers to the ".ie" hosts name servers and re-directed to the ".ie" address under the URL forwarding option.

I wonder is that all I have to do???

Why come here asking for advice on what to do, and then ignore questions from people who know what they are doing, if you are going to do your own thing anyway ? ppfffff

• Advertisement

dublindude wrote: »
    No, that won't work.

Unless you have an account on the server where the .ie domain is, your .com will no longer be reachable.

Do you have hosting for the .com?

I do have an account on the server where the .ie but don't have the hosting for the .com.

*edit*

Sorry m-stan I didn't see your reply. I've absolutely no details on the .com server. All I have is the .com DNS username & password.

Just got sorted. Changed the name servers and notified my hosting company of the changes.

Cheers!

Advertisement